Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved to a new apartment within 5 minutes walk to my gf's school several months ago. The landlord has 4 cars himself, and as a result, only one of our cars can park off-street. Having parked on the street for only three months, my Legend already has been the victim of hit and run twice. Now the driver side mirror was broken, and there was a dent on the driver side front fender close to the turn signal.

My car's engine died three weeks ago, and I have to park it in the parking lot of my friend's apartment. I felt very relieved when just having to taking care of one car and not worry about another hit and run. Now that the car was fixed and back on road, I am seriously considering selling one of our cars -- actually it is my Legend as my gf does not know how to drive a 5 speed.
I am not sure how much to ask for, it's been a great car for me, but to buyers who don't care about Legend, it's just a 15 years old car with 160K miles. Just wonder if people on this board can share with their experience selling their cars.

The good things about the car are, it's the second most favorible G1 model -- 1990 5 speed Coupe L, only behind LS model. It's been well cared for for the whole life, the 1st owner was a Harvard professor, and me the second owner did all kinds of maintainence that I could think of -- oil change every 1.5 month, tranny oil change two years ago, Honda geniune coolant flush every year, new valve cover gasket, wires, plugs, fuel filter, PCV valve, new front lower ball joints, tie rod ends, tie rods, rear uppper control arm all geniune Honda. Every little thing except for the dome light still works well. In the past two years, it was driven 90% freeway for my 80 miles commute each day. It leaks oil very slightly if driven mainly on freeway, about 0.5 quart every 3000 miles. If the 3000 miles was driven half city and half freeway, the oil level does not drop at all. And it drives better than many new cars on freeway at 80mph. It gets a battery only 2 weeks old, and had a fresh alignment six months ago when I replaced the ball joints and tie rod end. Oh, almost forget, the timing belt was changed two years ago, along with all driving belts. I did a Auto-RX treatment six months ago, now the camshaft looks shiny like new. Oh and new wind shield wiper motor and the long rod below the wind shield. Oh and four new tires one year old. Oh and new O2 sensor two years ago.

Now the bad, the driver side mirror broken, dent on front fender (I could easily find replacement in junkyard, but it's hard to find the same color). There are rust at the bottom of the trunk lid and below the gas door. It sometimes jumps out of 2nd gear on bumy road.

I thought I could ask for $2k, but after reading cars.com and craigslist.org, I started to doubt if anyone would pay $1k for the car. What do you guys think? Today we get our first snow, with the parking ban in effect, guess I'll need to sell it ASAP. :(

· Registered
2,038 Posts
well after i blew the engine...i bought her for $400.
and put 21,000miles on her.
so i thought about selling her....or keeping her and putting a jdm in.

i thought to myself this engine has had this problem since i bought her...but i caught it too late.
so i decided to keep her.

with a broken mirror and a dent in a fender...$1000 is'nt so bad.

i would keep the legend...but you said your girl does'nt know how to drive stick....
maybe when yall both get the time you could teach her....

just my 2 cents....

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the Legend when I was single. Now our other car is a 1994 Volvo that is much more practical (her parents ride with us a couple times a week), it is not very practical to have the Legend coupe as our only car. Ideally I'll keep both because I have invested so much time in the past several years and loves how well it drives; and with the minimal resale value, there's no point selling the Legend. But this parking thing drives me nuts, I just have no idea why so many people would hit others' car and simply drive away...anyway I am having her parked at my friend's parking lot and drive my gf's car to work now. Oh well it's a tough decision

· Registered
638 Posts
you could make more than 1,000 long as its running decent, not too rough, not burning any fluids. if you had the patience you could make more than that off selling parts on Ebay. if you want a automatic you should make a trip down to VA, i'll swap it with mine for free in about 3 hours :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.