Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went over tho their site and started to read about how badly there transmissions are, even the 2002 and 2003 are already starting to go. Thats is ridiculous!! Some guy was on his 3rd tranny.

What is even more brutal is the way that Acura handles their cases... I have never had good customer service from an Acura dealership unless I am spending my money there. These guys are telling some pretty sad stories about their post-sales customer service mishaps...that sux.

Sadly my next car will not be an Acura:rolleyes: For spending that kinda money on a car, you would think they would give you some better and more friendly service.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
The TL is built in the US??
Yupe, I think they're built in Ohio.

Not a lot of Japanese cars are imported from japan anymore, quality have gone way down since they started building them here in the states:(. I think Lexus are still built in japan though, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the car is still designed and engineered in Japan, then how come the build quality would start to suffer....??

Is it poor quality control??

US workers trying to rush the job to meet production quotas, and getting sloppy?

Using american designed/manufactured parts??

I find it interesting that quality would go down the tube just by switching manufacturing venues.:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
IMHO it seems like the transmission problem would be a design-engineering problem with so many of them failing. As far as the problems with american built cars, well they used to say that you do not want a Fri. or Mon. built car. Because on Fri. most of the workers are thinking about drinking all weekend and on Mon. most of the workers are recovering from the weekend.

·
Registered
655 Posts
acura service here isn't as good as lex either

Ive heard alot about the tranny prob with new tl, I was thinking design flaw too, but why is the auto/stick in the prelude so reliable compared to tl, its made in japan, but it is also a 4 spd so who knows.

·
Registered
310 Posts
KenS said:
IMHO it seems like the transmission problem would be a design-engineering problem with so many of them failing. As far as the problems with american built cars, well they used to say that you do not want a Fri. or Mon. built car. Because on Fri. most of the workers are thinking about drinking all weekend and on Mon. most of the workers are recovering from the weekend.
how do you know whether the car is built on fri or mon ? :confused:

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Re: acura service here isn't as good as lex either

gen2c said:
Ive heard alot about the tranny prob with new tl, I was thinking design flaw too, but why is the auto/stick in the prelude so reliable compared to tl, its made in japan, but it is also a 4 spd so who knows.
Prelude is still built and assmbled in Japan, but that is probabaly not the reason. I think it is just an design flaw in the TL/CL tranny. But, it also could be quality control from the US factory workers. People used to always say that the US build Hondas used the same parts as the Japan built Hondas, so they should be the same. However, when I used to work at Honda long ago just out of High School, some mechanics there used to tell me they could tell with car was built in the US vs Japan. It seems like although the parts are all the same, the Japan assembled cars had a much better fit and finish, while many of the US assmebled cars would have stripped bolt and screws jammed in, and those kinds of problems. So, maybe the poor assembly results in premature failure of the part.

Also, I don't believe the Japan built cars are too far ahead of the US built cars anymore. Not because the US has better quality control now, but mostly due to the Japan culture becoming a little more westernized. While stil levels above US workers, the Japan workers do not have the same pride in their work as their fathers before them. The company loyalty is not as strong as years ago.

No to mention Honda themselves have lost their vision since the death of their companies founder IMHO.

G

·
The TL trannies and engine are built in Japan and the paint and all other crap is handeled in the states.. We have one of the BEST built ACURAS besides the NSX which is still built in JAPAN totally...

·
Registered
120 Posts
gAmEs0n said:

how do you know whether the car is built on fri or mon ? :confused:
\

You don't. I guess thier point was to beware of American cars because there workers don't take their jobs very seriously.

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
The problem is for 6th gen Accord V6s, TLs, and CLs. I think that it's a design flaw, not due to poor workmanship. It is often associated with clogged filters. Tranny coolers seem to have helped from what I've seen on the TL and Accord V6 forums.

The quality of American built Hondas is definitely poorer. The trunk on my Accord is not centered. There was an area on the front fender that was not painted. But I'd still rather as this car than a Ford or Chrysler.

Just be thankful that the Legend tranny will easily last 200K unless abused.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: Re: acura service here isn't as good as lex either

ChrisK said:

some mechanics there used to tell me they could tell with car was built in the US vs Japan.
it's easy to distinguish between Japanese built vs USA built. just look at the VIN. if it starts with J means it's Japanese built while if it starts with 1, it means it's USA built

G

·
E K said:

The quality of American built Hondas is definitely poorer. The trunk on my Accord is not centered. There was an area on the front fender that was not painted. But I'd still rather as this car than a Ford or Chrysler.

Just be thankful that the Legend tranny will easily last 200K unless abused.
WTF? Your trunk wasnt centered? That sucks.. Did you see it way after you had the car cause I would have taken it back to the dealer... And the side wasn't painted properly! Lazy Americans!
:rolleyes:

Oh wait i'm american...:eek: :D

Damn EK, did Honda at least fix the paint for you?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Re: Re: Re: acura service here isn't as good as lex either

gAmEs0n said:

it's easy to distinguish between Japanese built vs USA built. just look at the VIN. if it starts with J means it's Japanese built while if it starts with 1, it means it's USA built
That I know, also the 2HG is Canadian built with the 1HG being US as you stated. But my point was that they saw workmanship differences in the assembly. I stated one examply with the stripped bolts that hold parts in place on the US cars, and with the JDM cars not having nearly the same trend.

Also I've learned from the TL guys that one of the dealerships top tech said the tranny failures he seen have been due to a failing solenoid within the transmission. How much if that is true I don't know, as its just what has been posted on the forums. Also, how many times have you heard about the failing soledoids on the inatke system that open the secondary buterflies in the 2 variable stage intake on the Type-S cars? I don't recall any Legend owner complaing of the soledoids in our multi stage intake system going bad. That just goes to show the vendor that Honda is getting there parts from in not up to the standards of before, or that the design like you mentiond in not as well engineered as before. Many an Acura Technician have stated that in their opinion, the G1 Legend was the most overly engineered car (aside from the NSX), then the G2 Legend. Now, it seems like the engineering is just adequate.

And lets be realistic. We all know how union workers are. Heck, I belong to IBEW union myself, so I know how we think. Overworked and underpaid :) Anyway, my father in laws friend used to work in one of the US manufacturer automoblie assmebly plants, and he said they used to take a bolt, tie a string to it and tie it to the car somewhere hidden. When you hit a bump or something it would rattle between the metal parts driving you and your mechanic crazy trying to find what the noise was. Do we all really think the Japan workers are doing this? How many stories have we all heard like the crushed beer cans found in GM cars doors, and similar stories like that?

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: acura service here isn't as good as lex either

ChrisK said:

And lets be realistic. We all know how union workers are. Heck, I belong to IBEW union myself, so I know how we think. Overworked and underpaid :) Anyway, my father in laws friend used to work in one of the US manufacturer automoblie assmebly plants, and he said they used to take a bolt, tie a string to it and tie it to the car somewhere hidden. When you hit a bump or something it would rattle between the metal parts driving you and your mechanic crazy trying to find what the noise was. Do we all really think the Japan workers are doing this? How many stories have we all heard like the crushed beer cans found in GM cars doors, and similar stories like that?
That is funny. The bolt on a string. Sounds like a good practical joke for a friend.

Overworked and underpaid? Try being a surgery resident. Over 150 hours a week, for $30,000 a year. I heard one surgery resident calculated that he was making $0.73 a hour. It's why I never seriously considered going into surgery.

In response to Thai:
I didn't bother with them, since I was too busy trying to ship the car from CA to IL. It's just things I have accepted.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: acura service here isn't as good as lex either

E K said:
Overworked and underpaid? Try being a surgery resident. Over 150 hours a week, for $30,000 a year. I heard one surgery resident calculated that he was making $0.73 a hour. It's why I never seriously considered going into surgery.
Residency is more like a stepping stone though. Consider it an investment.

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: acura service here isn't as good as lex either

vince said:

Residency is more like a stepping stone though. Consider it an investment.
You're right. It just makes me have the utmost respect for surgeons, knowing what they went through to get to where they're at.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That's why the Legend will be my last Acura. Unless I'm in a position to get an NSX.....other than that I'm done with them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts