Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
it gets better.... but only with frequent oil changes.
I have to say I had what I would consider to be bad tappet noise. Changing the oil frequently (at 2-3,000 ks) has calmed it down greatly, but it took a few changes before it really worked.
With mostly city driving, racing and revving a fair bit, I now get about 5-6000kms before it's time to change the oil.
Thicker oil makes it worse, and if you can get away with 5w30 go for it. (the standard oil here in Aust is 20w50-30w50!!)
Before you change your oil try a bottle of flush, or ford type F ATF (500 mls) in the crankcase and run for 20 mins - this gets a lot of sludge and varnish out and into suspension.
With the new oil, marvell mystery oil (I think) is a good additive to further shut up the lifter noise. I use a product with teflon, and whilst purists will probably say 'teflon has no business in a cars engine' - as this is Dupont's position, I can't get marvell mystery oil in Australia, and this stuff I have found works. Period. So I'm going to stick with it.

anyway, hope all this helps.

rich

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is there a way to actually fix the lifter noise? I got an oil change and all better for a day or two, but the clicking has started again.. Stupid thing, I can't get it to the shop with the clicking because by the time I get there it's stopped.. It's a never ending cycle. :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
the only way to fix the lifter noise is a valve job.
24 valves = expensive, I was quoted 1500 australian on a g1.

cheaper = more oil changes, more comprehensive flushing etc.

r

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also before changing my engine my engine ticked a little as well. I always use synthetic oil when changing. It's fairly expensive but, Man, synthetic is the best thing that could ever had happened to a car.- Besides race mods:D . If you can't afford full synthetic at least go w/ synthetic blend. Trust me when you hit 200k you will be glad you did when you're vehicle still runs like new. I always use mobil-1 5w-30 It costs $4.99 a quart around here

·
Registered
17 Posts
LIFTER NOISE

hi everyone i have a 89 legend with 300 000k on it and it runs like a hot dame. but alas it to ticks but mine ticks no matter what. it has done this for as long as i have owed the car 6yrs. i dont think that it is the lifters as our engines dont have lifters ,remember , it is an overhead cam design. what the problem could be is a worn or broken wave washer on the rocker arms. if this washer gets worn then there is a little play between it and the rocker creating a small ticking sound. if you used 5w30 synthetic oil from day one i dought that you would have a problem. the metal that acura used to make these washers was very poor that is why they all wear out. this problem was fixed on later model legends 93up

·
Registered
476 Posts
Are you sure that G1 Legends "do not have" lifters? I took my 89 Legend sedan to my Acura dealer to find out what the ticking was, and they explained that it was the "valve lifters." I thought they just needed adjustment, but they told me they were auto-adjusting and I could try some Rislone or other engine additive...

My engine ticked until 200k when I sold the car, but other than that it didn't really have any trouble.

My new G2 Legend has only 90,000 and it ticks when I FIRST start it up, but it immediately disappears. I have heard that this is very normal and it is nothing to be worried about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TICKING

my motor had lots of "extra" ticking until i upgraded the sparkplug wires. dont know why but that illiminated half of the ticking noise. as far as my last post on the lifters i will be doing a overhaul on the top of the motor in the next few weeks to get rid of the ticking. i will keep you informed as to what we find

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I understand is the intake valves are self adjusting and the exhaust valves are NOT, now there is a set of instructions for adjusting the exhaust valves that I had in my possesion until my computer crashed, and there is also a web link that I do not have, if anybody knows this link, please tell me, I need to sell my '90 legend, and that will not happen until I do the adjustment and eliminate my ticking noise (very annoying, but no danger to engine). My chilton manual also has instructions for this but I know that there are a couple of errors on the procedure, and I'm not sure what they are.
I have also tried all of the small tricks, like the engine flushed and additives, which worked temporarily, but the problem has gone beyond that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Copy and paste on what I wrote here: http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65594&page=1&pp=15&highlight=forte

I have tried everything to stop the tikking, nothing really helped, the main thing is that if your car at any condition is running without the tikking this means NOTHING IS BROKEN!!!

Therefore all problems are caused by sludge/ dirt and even more carbon on the valve stems. This can be cleaned without a mechanic with petrol additives, I used two cans, the first step whas flushing:

FORTÉ ADVANCED FORMULA MOTOR FLUSH
Advanced Formula Motor Flush has been specifically formulated to combat modern motoring issues caused by the adverse affect of extended oil drain periods.

During the long interval between oil drains, crankcase acids are produced. If left within the system when the oil is changed, these acids immediately go to work breaking down the new oil leading to the creation of lacquers and varnishes which are deposited on the oil system components such as Hydraulic Valve Lifters, Variable Valve Timing Systems and Piston Rings. These components work within very tight tolerances and any sticking due to the deposits in the oil system results in inefficient operation of the system and poor driveability.

Neutralises crankcase Acids.
Removes lacquer, varnish, sludge and insoluble deposits from the crankcase.
Frees sticking Variable Valve Timing systems, Hydraulic Valve Lifters and Piston Rings.
Stabilises cylinder compression restoring lost engine power.
Cleans engines internally and provides anti-wear protection.
Cleans oilways ensuring oil flow to critical moving parts.
Keeps new oil cleaner for longer

Second step whas Forte Top end treatment and finally Gas treatment.

This resulted in an absolute quit (all conditions) engine, have driven it for 300 000 miles with no tikking, sold it, it now drives in Cairo (dessert of North Africa)

FORTE LINK: http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Home.htm

·
Registered
896 Posts
91 - early 93 had issue with captured piston rings when cold. What you may be hearing is piston slap. To test if this is it, use GM Upper Combustion area cleaner and follow Acura procedure in TSB. Do a search under removing carbon. I don't have the TSB #, maybe someone else does.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
JTJohnny102 said:
is this the same noise that i hear when i have my car running or turned off? I had my exhaust all redone so i was wondering if it's just normal ticking from the hot metal...
If you have it when turned off, its just the normal noise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.