Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
At your next oil change:

1. Before draining oil, pour half a quart of ATF in the crankcase. Start engine and run for 15 minutes.
2. Change oil and filter.
3. After changing oil and filter, add can of engine restore.

I just did this a couple of weeks ago, everything is quiet so far.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This has been covered several times - do a search for more information. That said, before doing the ATF and Restore, try an OEM oil filter with 5w-30 oil.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have the exact same problem and have tried lighter weight oil with no luck. Its driving me nuts too!!! Im also a little leary about putting ATF fluid into the crankcase, how does this help it? If I rev the engine up a couple times the noise usually stops for a couple seconds, what the deal with that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The atf has a lot of detergents in it, it does help but don't leave it in there for long.

It took two oil changes (at the normal 3,000 mile intervals) and the 5w30 oil to tame my tapping valves. They still tap but it is tolerable now (or I have gotten used to it). For immediate relief, try something like Engine Restore or MMO which will help until they get cleaned out.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
i just started gettin the same frickin noise....UGGGGHHHHHH....its embarrasing man.....so...im gonna try the straight weight oil.....maybe 40....change out the filter n all that....my pcv hose seems fine...and the valve is still shakin...so...hopefully i can kill it...the noise is ridiculously loud!!!!!!!

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
Do a search on Seafoam and look at some recent posts about it...it may be what your looking for....when I first bought my car I used Catrol straight 30 oil....if your going to use a straight weight I'd recommend that one....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts