Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my legend up on a lift the other day and both outer tie rod bushings are starting to look bad. The steering isn't affected yet, but they need to be fixed. It looks like all I need to do is
remove the cotter and castle nut
take out the bolt
unscrew from the inner tie rod
replace with new rod/bushing
reattach
grease
pay for an alignment

Is that right?
Am I going to need any special tools? I didn't see a good procedure in my service manual.

Any advice on greasing and where to buy the parts?
thanks,
Paul

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
Pretty much... Just remove the wheel, take off the cotter pin/castle nut, use a gear puller or arm puller to pop off the outer tie rod ball joint from the steering knuckle, loosen the lock nut on the inner rod, unscrew the outer tie rod (count the turns so your alignment isn't completely off when you replace w/ the same amount of turns), and replace. Most of the time it's best to do both the inner/outer at the same time as it isn't much more work (the hardest part is getting the stupid boot off). It's recommended to also replace the lock nut, castle nut, and cotter pin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Any advice where to buy the parts?
PM sam o nela (Gabe)... he was the latest one who recently acquired these parts (set) from ebay... other forum members had done this as well and are very happy with the outcome :)

Also, Peter's pretty much got you covered with the procedures/instructions.

Goodluck Paul, keep us posted on your progress ;)

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Yup I bought the whole front suspension kit off Ebay (I believe the seller's store is called Hyper4Hondas or something like that)...for $169 for a whole kit, you just cant beat the price!

After install, it wasn't really a night and day difference, but the be rid of the squeaky noises and bad tire wear is reward enough for me...plus I did pnoye02's power steering flush DIY and got an alignment and BAM...great running and steering car :thumbsup:

FYI--one thing that's been brought up in the G2 section, they say that the ball joint that comes pre-pressed into the upper control arm is a bit on the cheap side and they simply bought upgrades for those....I believe the G2's front end is probably significantly heavier than ours, so it may or may not be a problem....mine seem just fine so far...:dunno: but I just thought I'd throw that out there for you so you can make a decision yourself if you decide to go that route...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts