Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on changing my timing belt tomorrow morning but i was wondering if you guys could give some input on what exact pieces i need to do so.

i know that i obviously need to get the timing belts and the 3 drive belts. however i've heard about getting seals, tensioners etc.

would anyone who has done their own timing belt or is knowledgeable have a list of parts that i need to buy tomorrow morning. I would greatly appreciate it.

ohh and im planning on changing the waterpump too. Thank you everyone!

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
time

tools

time
time

lol i thought about doing it myself. but the thought of me doing a job like that scared me. you need to take things off, bleed systems etc. take this and that off. - basically carless for 1-3 days. the biggest issue that prevented me from doing this job myself was the tools.

ended up paying 500$ to get the job done by my mechanic.1 day turn over. instead of me doing it in 1-3 days slowly and possibly breaking something :(

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
You are not going to be able to perform this work tomorrow, as you MUST use a new OEM water pump. The labor involved in replacing a non-OEM pump which "buys the farm early" is not worth the immediate potential savings. My recommendation is to replace everything under the covers. This includes the tensioner and Crank/Cyl. sensor. I know that so far no one has had a Crank/Cyl. sensor go bad, but I do believe you are taking a risk leaving one to operate for 270,000 miles. Again, it is the labor involved vs the new part.
Call Acura of Augusta, GA and ask them to send you everything you shall need.

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
This can easily be done in a day. It was about an 8-5 job for me. Get a Chilton's manual (for the 3 small things it will help you with) and print off everything that has to do with timing belt from the online legend manual.

The hardest part, by far, for me was to unhook and rehook all the electrical. There are a few connections that require 5 year old size hands, and I have mitts. Wear gloves as well so that the prementioned electrical connectors don't tear your fingers up. I think they are made with razor blades...

Have all of the parts bought...timing belt (with tensioner pulley and spring), drive belts, water pump, thermostat, hoses, Honda coolant...and anything else you want to replace. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS...especially on the water pump. :(

Take your time, thread bolts back into their holes to prevent the dreaded "where did this bolt go?" syndrome. It's not fun...

Enjoy...

·
Registered
403 Posts
definitely helps to have the radiator out, and as long as you get the crank pulley off you're good to go. the only issue i had was taking off the cam pulleys, one of them actually rotated 45degrees while the belt was off, it was a pain to play with that and the crank pulley to get it back in line. the springs under the valve cover puts tension on the cam shaft making it tough to spin the cam pulley....goodluck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. If im not mistaken i believe i had the crank cyl sensor go bad on my previous legend. it was a bitch. the part alone ran like 180-280 i cant remember. could call out though. I think it could be done in a day; I'm planning on doing it with my best friends dad. He's pretty much going to tell me what to do step by step. He did the timing belt on my last Legend a while back ago. However, i'm wondering if it's too much trouble to do it myself and just have somewhere local do it? a shop charges around 600?

·
Registered
344 Posts
wow, i'm jealous. i had mine done at a shop. they replaced wp, tb, crank sensor, and the drive belts and was more than $5-600. I think I got ripped off. Oh well, car runs good now. good luck replacing all that stuff. that seems like a really good learning experience. I wish someone would school me in replacing all that.

·
MAD DOG!
1,673 Posts
time

tools

time
time

lol i thought about doing it myself. but the thought of me doing a job like that scared me. you need to take things off, bleed systems etc. take this and that off. - basically carless for 1-3 days. the biggest issue that prevented me from doing this job myself was the tools.

ended up paying 500$ to get the job done by my mechanic.1 day turn over. instead of me doing it in 1-3 days slowly and possibly breaking something :(
what tools are you talking about.... socket set.... wrenchs... rachets...... torque wrench..... impact gun or just use the starter method. if you never done it before you may need more than one day. hardest part really is removing the alternator because you have to rotate it completely to take it off... then maybe the timing. who says your mechanic didnt break something and didnt tell you.

might as well do the front main seal while youre down there. WP and timing belt tensioner is a most. GOOD LUCK a lot of people to help you here.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
i have 0 tools :p

an main thing is i dont want to be responsible for breaking my car... i dont trust myself taking things like that apart and stuff... 500$ for t-belt, h20 pump etc etc isnt that bad of a deal i guess.. for the amount of time i save

·
Registered
403 Posts
what tools are you talking about.... socket set.... wrenchs... rachets...... torque wrench..... impact gun or just use the starter method. if you never done it before you may need more than one day. hardest part really is removing the alternator because you have to rotate it completely to take it off... then maybe the timing. who says your mechanic didnt break something and didnt tell you.

might as well do the front main seal while youre down there. WP and timing belt tensioner is a most. GOOD LUCK a lot of people to help you here.
you dont have to remove the alternator, all you do is loosen a few bolts and slide it so that the belt can be removed. but it does not need to be taken out of the car.

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
definitely helps to have the radiator out, and as long as you get the crank pulley off you're good to go.
I left the radiator in, but took out the dual fans and protected the rad with a large rubber door mat (screwed it into the fan bolt holes!). I had plenty of room to work.

the only issue i had was taking off the cam pulleys, one of them actually rotated 45degrees while the belt was off, it was a pain to play with that and the crank pulley to get it back in line. the springs under the valve cover puts tension on the cam shaft making it tough to spin the cam pulley
Me too. I just finished paying $350 for a guy to get my Legend back into time after my cam went 'boing' and I couldn't get it perfectly lined up. It's a pain.

you dont have to remove the alternator, all you do is loosen a few bolts and slide it so that the belt can be removed. but it does not need to be taken out of the car.
True...

·
MAD DOG!
1,673 Posts
same as the radiator... i just like taking whatever i can out just so it doesnt get in the way and so i dont accidentally break things or whatever... just saying even with basic tools, which you really need to get, you can do a timing belt. how do you do oil changes then???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so far sounds great. i appreciate everyone's response. As for the oil changes, i know some lady at the acura dealership by my house, so i got a couple free oil changes. boy i wish she could give me a deal on the timing belt so that i wouldn't have to do it. it would save me a lot of time. but, thanks to everyone though, i will start my task.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.