Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone i just wanted to say that i finally put my legend in the shop for a timing belt. Dont yell at me but it has never been changed. Factory timing belt since the car was bought back in 1992 and the car has now 225k :eek: I promise if the car makes it to 300k i will promoise not to wait long like i did :)

COLLEGE STUDENTS TO MAKE ALOT OF MONEY TO HAVE THAT JOB DONE :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
college student too

Mine is in the shop for the same thing, WP and TB. Being a college student it was hard to come off the dough but it should be worth it. Good luck with yours and I cant wait to get mine back man.

Sub-U

·
Banned
618 Posts
When should the water pump Be changed? What are the symptons of the service? whats the annaul or mileage of the water pump?

Thanks, and where is it located and how does it look like?

Also sorry for theese new bee questions. but what is the purpose of the "water pump" besides to pump water.... but where and etc...?

Thanks! Love Yah Lots

Thanks for your help Mike on the idle adjustment!
:D :bowdown: :D :( ;) :vomit: :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Symptoms are overheating engine for bad waterpump...
Symptoms for broken timing belt are your valves smash up rendering your engine useless.

Both would lead to a new engine or MAJOR overhaul. DO NOT WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS.

Every 90,000 miles for Timing Belt/Waterpump.

·
Banned
618 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Symptoms are overheating engine for bad waterpump...
Symptoms for broken timing belt are your valves smash up rendering your engine useless.

Both would lead to a new engine or MAJOR overhaul. DO NOT WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS.

Every 90,000 miles for Timing Belt/Waterpump.
Perfect. Also, if the timing belt, shows any sign of wear, such as rip, crack or torn. I will replace.

But what about the water Pump. My car is not over heating.. so when do i know when to change it.?? i bought the car at 102,000 k miles now at 123,254 k miles. so how do i determine when to change the water pump?

Also there is a squeaking noise in the belt some where..

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
phan_nam420

Are you talking about a Legend or MR2?
Legends require the timing belt and water pump to be replaced every 90k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my legend went under the knife yesterday for surgery the timing belt and waterpump service. Everything went well she woke up just fine and now i am about to hit the highway.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Congrats!

I was promised to get mine back for tb/wp service yesterday, but now they have changed that promise to Monday! Patience is a virtue I guess. Congrats on getting your's back though!

Sub-U

·
Banned
618 Posts
Jetdoc said:
phan_nam420

Are you talking about a Legend or MR2?
Legends require the timing belt and water pump to be replaced every 90k.
YEs i took notice of that(90 k), if you read the post before, i explained that i purchased the car at 102,00 miles and today present its at 123,456 miles. and i do not know the previous owners maitenance. SOW HOW DO I KNOW WHEN TO CHANGE THE water pump?
whats a sign of wear? (beside the car over heating) can i tell by taking a look at it? by asking for an inspection every oil change? every month?

Im talking about an acura legend LS 4 door! rofl! :mad:

·
Banned
618 Posts
:mad: Rofl my car is below! :mad:

·
Registered
277 Posts
phannam u go to UCR? another legend at UCR my bro had his there for years grapevine grey.. i got one now ur car looks aite like the rims wut are they? but u need to paint that kit... das bad... not bad tho i kno ur prolly just gettin started

·
Banned
618 Posts
Yeah, part time student @ UCR. and the part workin. I'm still looking around for nice body shops that can do the job perfectly yet inexpensive. I had an import shop who estimated for $800 to fill in the gap, re-arrange the kit a little better, and color coded paint the car same color! I heard go things about just out of my price range, hopefully i can find another body shop that does same quality but not so expensive. If you know one let me know.

My rims are located here :

18's Axis Spider :****:

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
Car: ToYota Mr2

Your profile indicates your car is a MR2. That's why I asked.

If whoever sold you the car at 102K didn't tell you they had the timing belt and water pump service done recently then they didn't have it done. That would be a major selling point for a Legend. They would have bragged about it. You should have asked.
What we are trying to tell you is that on the Legend this service is required not optional. Your answer to the "when" question is NOW. You are 33K overdue. If you choose to not to have it done because it is "running fine"
and the timing belt breaks, you are looking at at least a $2500 repair. The water pump is changed at 90K because of the difficulty of replacing the timing belt and the water pump is not likely to last to the next service(180K). Since the water pump is easily replaced when doing the timing belt it is wise to do it then. If you done yours now it would be good intil 223K.
On this vehicle you don't wait until it starts to fail, it's to expensive in the long run. The timing belt could be inspected but a weak belt is hard to diagnose. A belt with 133K on it could appear fine but fail the next day.
When a timing belt fails there is no warning. Your driving along, the engine dies, you pull over and try to start it. It either runs on two cylinders or doesn't start at all. You have it towed to a shop and find out the timing belt broke and several valves were bent in the process. You will need timing belt, water pump and the heads removed and rebuilt(labor intensive) = $2500+.
Try doing a few searches on these items for more info.

What's the :mad: for. Did I upset you.

·
Banned
618 Posts

Sorry but in order for me to get to this forum and website i would have to type in the web address. "www.TOYOTAmr2.com.com" i mean www.[COLOR=DarkOrange]acura-legend.[/COLOR]com. . :giggle: :giggle:

Gee... i wonder if this forum is for toyotas mr2 :giggle:

Thanks for the information. I'll have that next up for my car.. i'll put the paint job aside.. Maitenance come first! thanks appreciated!
The Belt is going to be done for sure. But the water pump. does the 90k apply to the water pump as well? How much i'm i looking at for the water pump replacement? how much do they usually run for?

Thanks! :****:

Below is my Nissan, Sienna Mr2! :werd:

·
Banned
618 Posts
You will need timing belt, water pump and the heads removed and rebuilt(labor intensive) = $2500+.
Try doing a few searches on these items for more info.

What's the :mad: for. Did I upset you.
Does this refer to now as a basis maitence. or is this what you would have to do because of the result of a neglected maitenence?

Thanks! :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.