Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my timing belt and I'm positive that I replaced the original belt. It had 135,000 miles on it. I was curious who has gone the longest on a timing belt. So, how long have you gone?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to say dude and not to sound harsh, but it's not something to be proud of, Acura engines are interference engines. Comparing who has higher mileage on the belt is like playing Russian roulette. Just stick it with 90K.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my defense I bought the car roughly 11 months ago and I only put 8,000 miles on her. I dont know why I waited this long, I guess I assumed and hoped it had been changed before I got it. BUT I got ahold of the previous owner and thats when I realized that there was no way the belt had been changed and then it became a priority to me. I'm just curious! I understand and I am definately NOT proud of this.

I must say after tearing the car down enough to change the TB/WP I have much more appreciation for the complexity of this fine automobile.

·
Registered
652 Posts
blitz said:
I'm still on original timing belt and water pump now at 230,000 miles
Well you have proven that this unnecessary changing of parts in the Acura, at the owners expense, is Honda's way to keep their cars from breaking down, and enjoying a reputation as a good and durable car/engine. Good for you.

Personally, I chickened out and changed the TB and WP at 93K. Actually I wanted to do the job because I like working on cars, but the removed belt looked fine to me and the old water pump could not be distinguished in any way from the new one.

And speaking of miles accumulated on an engine, an acquaintance has a '95 Chevy Suburban, 350 engine, with over 400,000 miles and has yet to crack that engine. I know, I know we are discussing Acura here but just thought I'd throw this tidbit in for contemplation. Actually, I know several people running GM 350's with high milage, sucessfully.

RAP

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
SLICK40 said:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: I have always wondered about this ever since I've been driving Honda; has anyone had one break before?
I have seen 4 or 5 break.

One of them went 223k miles i believe, then the tb broke, and the valves got bent really bad, and he scrapped the engine. personally, i think that a good engine can do over 200k and quite a few last a lot longer. its just a shame to me that he wasted a perfectly good engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RAP said:
Actually, I know several people running GM 350's with high milage, sucessfully.

RAP
Long time reader (follower) of this very informative forum, First time post.
I'm glad to have joined this forum and the legend community! Very cool forum!
I used to have a GMC 1/2 with 230,000miles never changed belts (or chain)
I've always heard Chev/GMC have a timing chain instead of belt. Does that mean the Legend actually has a timeing (rubber) belt???
Any way now have '94 Ls LEGEND sedan :2cool: 95,000 still need to get my TB changed.
LEGEND is my first car....always had Truck or Tahoe. Very happy sweet car.
Thx for everyone to this very cool and informative web site/forum.
LEW

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm planning changing the timimg belt and water pump this summer by myself. The car never had major mechanical breakdown. The only thing that I've replaced on this car is my front axle. It blows white smoke sometimes but I've found out that it was the oil additive that I've put into it. I've learned that if ain't broke, don't fix it. Although preventive stuff like the recommended maintenance won't hurt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all,

260,000 k's and I replace my TB every 130k and my water pump not yet!

Nothing has ever broken on this car...all it needs is good commonsense maintenance.

My ABS hose is now 80,000ks over due, but I'm thinking of getting that done soon.

Cheers
john

·
Registered
13 Posts
changed mine at 150,000. Bought the car 130,000 and didn't want to take a chance right away. TB&WP both looked in great shape. I am now at about 260,000 miles and think I'll hold off. Had my share of probs with the car though. I think the woman that owned it before me didn't take the best of care. Engine and tranny still run GREAT now that I got the coil fixed!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.