Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black 93ls coupe and tinted it 15% metallic smoke llumar all the way around. They charged me $167 for the tint job. I'm happy with the tint, but the waterspots that were barely noticable before are really showing up. These acid rain waterspots won't wash off. I've tried 409,aerosol glass cleaner, windex, vinegar/water, razorblade, wax, etc. nothing works. What product have guys used that works?

·
Registered
38 Posts
i dont know what you mean by acid rain waterspots? unless it rained acid rain or something. if you are talking about the water bubble that are still inside the tint you have to realize that the tint takes 2 days to dry. so you shouldnt even be opening you windows for 2 days. and the water bubbles take 10 days to up to 2 weeks to all evaporate. i got my car tinted last week and still have a couple of water bubble. also, you shouldnt be using anything harsh on the inside of your car windows where the tint is, especially anything with ammonia, it will purple your tint.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the metallic tints have many different compounds in them, thus it takes longer to cure to your windows completely. when i got 15% metallic it took about 2 months for all the annoying bubbles to finally go away... and there's still actually a couple of them, most likely because the guys who did it were doing a ****ty rush job, and i just haven't gotten around to taking it back and having them fix it... but just wait it out, and it should be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ohhh u got the silver film? the tint place i went to told me those take up to 2 months to dry. you will just ahve to wait it out like hurricanelegend said. but make sure not to use any harsh chemicals on it ever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think gen2c is talking about the waterspots not the actual tint. Like when water dries up on the glass and it leaves spots and some are just a pain to try to take off. I was also wondering the same thing how the h*** are you suppose to take those spots off? Im going to try using steel wool with cleaner but i dont know if it will work. What have you guys used?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't know if this will work on really really bad water spots, but if you haven't tried using Windex and crumpled up newspaper, you should.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
exactly

eurovargas said:
I think gen2c is talking about the waterspots not the actual tint. Like when water dries up on the glass and it leaves spots and some are just a pain to try to take off. I was also wondering the same thing how the h*** are you suppose to take those spots off? Im going to try using steel wool with cleaner but i dont know if it will work. What have you guys used?
The spots are on the exterior of the glass.The tint had water streaks when it was just applied, but thats normal and went away in couple of hours. Euro I don't think u should do the steel wool thing it might scrape too much.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Go to your local hardware store and ask them what you would use to clean a really dirty glass globe from an outdoor light (you know, the one's on the side of your house over the front door). There's something that works like TSP, but it works on glass. Might be a light acid solution.

DO NOT USE trisodium phosphate on glass, though. TSP is basically soap that doesn't foam up, but there's something about it that makes it a Bad Thing with glass.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
A few things you can try....

Bon Ami cleaning powder may help with the hard water spots. It's like Comet but not abrasive.

Window Stripper will work. But I haven't seen this stuff on the market for a while. Pep Boys used to carry it.

Locally, there's this window cleaner put out by Don's Mobile Glass. I think it's called Glass Polish?? It looks like the same stuff as Window Stripper. Save Mart Supermarkets carry this (I would have never thought....). I haven't tried this stuff yet. May be a moot point if you don't live around Modesto, CA.

Update: I forgot about this stuff. I haven't used it for glass, but it might be worth a try. Really keeps those pots and pans looking new.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/Cleaning.html

·
Registered
296 Posts
Man, I got the same problem. I have tried everything that I can think of to get that glass clean (even the crumpled up newspaper and Windex). I sprayed the glass with windex, and then scraped the Windex off with a scraper that the mechanics use to take off inspection and county stickers, and NOTHING! I used up a whole bottle of Gu-Gone, and still nothing! It is horrible..........horrible enough to make me save my money and replace all the glass on the whole damn car!

Ghost

·
Registered
722 Posts
Dam* this seems like my answer to everything, ACETONE! The spots are really bad here in Tokyo...That's why most people here will wash there car in the rain. The crap that falls out of the sky here is ridiculous, an hour after you wash your ride it could be covered in black dust, just emagine what I'm breathing!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I posted earlier today,

but it didn't go through I guess... Well heres a list of new things that don't work.....mean machine,simple green, 100% pure acetone, strip-klean, paint thinner, gasoline, bbq lighter fluid. I really thought the Acetone would have worked cause it's 3-4 times stronger than most acetone on the market. This is getting f!cking ridiculous and sooner or later I'm gonna scew something up or just smash my windows in a crazed fit. At least the cars alot less hot, and looks tight as hell at night. the tint emphasizes the chrome trim very well. Although I find it a little harder to turn at night, but I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Quit messing around with alcohol, acetone, etc.

Go visit a professional glass shop, either automotive, residential or commercial and ask them if they have something similar to this. And then buy it!

Read and follow the directions exactly.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks paolo

I will call around for that, what would I do without the forum.... probably cleaning broken glass out of my driveway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.