Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Michelin Piolets that had a nail or two in them when I bought them and my paps was giving me crap because I plugged them instead of patching them. He said since they are such expensive tires, I should patch them. "Plugging can let water get into the seams, and when someone plugs them they could mess up the tire chord." Is this true? I am stubborn and hate it when my dad is right. Opinions?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I plugged my Pirelli P7000 235/35R19 last time on where the sidewall meet the thread and it's prefectly OK until it's death. So, I assume the plug will be fine, and you will probably throw the tire long before the cord can be corroded.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I plugged numerous high performance low profile tires and never had any problems. People have also told me not to plugged them, but I have never had any problems at all, Not even with any air leakage othen than normal.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Although externally applied plugs will work, for a high performance tire that actually sees high speeds an internal patch is the proper repair. A plug could possibly fly out from centrifugal force at high speed. No way a patch could.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I plug is ok for a temp repair in an emergency (some kits have them with air compressor from lighter outlet), but a vulcanized patch is the only really safe and permanent repair I would consider. Patch becomes a permanent and hermetic seal, but plug can squirm and cause blowout under right conditions (assume that worse things will happen if possible...Murphy's law). Dad is right (I know, I am one for 3 offspring of my own).

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Good question-

A lot of places here won't do plugs anymore, they'll only do patches... they says it's for safety sake, and I'll take their word for it... I'd just get it patched; I've never had any problem with a plug before, but I'd rather take their advice than say "I know I know, plug it" and have it go out later...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts