Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my hands on a 98 bose tl head unit with cassette and cd player. my question is, does anyone know whether the unit can be hooked up so i can continue using the remote control on the steering wheel.

also, i don't have the anti-theft code for the unit...i know if i call the dealer, they'll ask what the vin # of the vehicle is, and i don't have a clue, plus i think they have a fee for giving that information.

anyways, any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
MuTym said:
also, i don't have the anti-theft code for the unit...i know if i call the dealer, they'll ask what the vin # of the vehicle is, and i don't have a clue, plus i think they have a fee for giving that information.
I believe the deck ID number is on the deck itself and is not related to the VIN of the car. If you take your car to Acura for service (hey, it could happen ;) ), just ask them next time. Technically, they shouldn't ever charge you for this type of thing, but even if they do, I don't see it costing more than 20 bucks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Security Code

Take it to an Acura dealer or call them. They will ask for the serial no. on the deck and they should give you the security code for free. A honda dealer can give you the same info, but they wanted to charge me $2.50. Call this dealer......757-523-1700. It might be a long distance call, but they won't hassle you.

Also, I have tried this in my Coupe. I have a 97 TL Bose radio, and the only thing that worked was the radio. Every time I put in a CD or Tape, it would show it on the deck, but no sound. I got it from a salvage yard, so I cannot say that the unit was bad. It looked nice. I didn't even try to research the pin-outs or anything. I just took it back. The deck had it's own amp too, and I have the premium Bose system in my Coupe. That may have been the problem as well, so if you have the non-premium system, it just might work.

Ghost

·
LegendaryRL
346 Posts
i got ripped

when i went to get the security code for ma system, the acura dealer charged me fourty somethin dollars for it.:mad: :mad:
now i know, if i want to do somethin for ma car, i'm gonna ask in the forum first:) :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Re: i got ripped

94coupe said:
when i went to get the security code for ma system, the acura dealer charged me fourty somethin dollars for it.:mad: :mad:
now i know, if i want to do somethin for ma car, i'm gonna ask in the forum first:) :)
DAYUM!!:confused:

I have done this several times and no hassles at all. The only reason I called the Honda dealer was because the Acura dealer's system was down. You might try this approach next time:

Tell them that you had to replace your battery and need the code for your radio. They might be feeling a little sentimental and give you the code for free. :D

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
They don't ask you for the car info or to see the car when you call?? That's pretty scarry, what's the point of the Anti-Thefth code now then?

:(

·
Registered
296 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
They don't ask you for the car info or to see the car when you call?? That's pretty scarry, what's the point of the Anti-Thefth code now then?

:(
I don't know..........does sound pretty scary when you think about it, huh? The dealer's number is above. Hope this info doesn't get them in trouble or anything like that. Dayum! That would mess up my hook-up..............if they found out who it was.:D :D

Ghost

·
engineering fanatic
204 Posts
How did this turn out? (Is the TL head unit interchangeable with the Legend head unit? Base model bose and premium?

Does anyone know?

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
for the 98TL, all models have the same radio. G1 TL's didnt come with steering wheel controls, so it cant be hooked up apparently.

·
engineering fanatic
204 Posts
Well, is there any post 95 acura (tl, mdx, rl... whatever) that has a radio that's interchangeable with the G2 legend?

·
AKA Smartjay28
5,671 Posts
i remember when i had to get a code one time, i had to go to the acura dealer with my registratation card to prove it was my car

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Even though this threads from 02.....

I have previously had a TL headunit in my G1....worked fine....just have to pull the three wires that control the Dash Controls from the harness plug (probably different on the G2 since they have that blue plug for the steering wheel controls)

As far as the TL HU's radio code, I called Acura up and I just told them I would produce an receipt of purchase (ebay) if they needed me too...I guess that was enough for them and they gave my radio code over the phone

·
T The pimp
2,073 Posts
Originally posted by 94coupe
when i went to get the security code for ma system, the acura dealer charged me fourty somethin dollars for it.
now i know, if i want to do somethin for ma car, i'm gonna ask in the forum first
forty nine and you got mad?

they charge me for $89.75 for total and telling me that my HU isn't working so i bought a 2200 model and replace it then I call them up for a code some how I can take my HU out and ask for it. mechanical problem sovled the dumb ass guy who work in my car in the ACURA dealler can't even read the freakin Pin number right. that why it not working. and boy i was PO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts