Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've probably posted this type of thread like a million times but i still don't know what to do. the new acura's (TL/CL) are tight, but, i've noticed quality decrease over the past decade. and the transmission issue is really getting to me. i know those cars are due for a re-design in like 2003 or 04 (if the CL doesn't get dropped off the line) but my goal is to get a new car b4 college and i think by that time it will be too late. i think for the price, features n everything the comparitive equal would be a maxima. they are also due for a re-design (RWD, V8), but i heard for 2003 than 2004. i am leaning towards the maxima because that car has yet to have serious problems or a recall in 12 years, also, you can get a brand new maxima fully loaded n everything at certain carmax dealers for around 25k and that's not counting my legend as a trade in. what does everyone think i should do? any suggestions for a 4 door v6 import near luxury/sport sedan with plentiful torque/hp for around 31k? need any input i can get, sorry for the long thread but i need some serious help.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
no one on this forum would recommend you to get a maxima or TL/CL. I wouldn't either.
After driving a Legend myself, there's no way I would ever drive a maxima. TL - maybe.

·
Registered
150 Posts
First of all, Nissan is overrated when it comes to horsepower. "Supposedly" Maximas have 255. On the Maxima forums they do 15.8 in the quarter mile, maybe 15.6 at the best. My dad's TL with intake and exhaust, TLs only have 225 hp, did a 15.1. Second, Acuras are much more stylish and classy then any sedan Nissan will ever bring to the US. Go with the TL, Cls are fugly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I forgot, in 106,000 miles, he has only had to replace a brake rotor and a heated seat thingy. Also,TLs don't come with any options, everything you could ever want is standard. For the price, the TL is the best luxury car money can buy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the tranny issues with all those cars...i want a stick but i don't think the parental units would vouch too much for that, you think they'll have those resolved for the 2k3-2k4 models?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'd get a 1995 Acura Legend Coupe 6-speed with under 60k. :)
Of those, probably the TL-S would come the closest, but I wouldn't give up my Legend for it, I love my Legend :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
This post should probably be in off topic but anyway.... Here's what I think about the Maxima TL thing. Stay away from a car with known transmission problems. Period. Let Acura get their stuff together for the update. Remember, G2's had some serious starter and waterpump problems in 1991 According to carpoint.com anyway.....

Next the Maxima. Nissan is in the middle of the horsepower wars again. the 255 horses in the Maxima never make it to the wheels. The 300+ horses or the new Q45 are even slower! And besides, do you really want a car with Altezza lights?

Say hello to what is probably going to be the next gen maxima http://www.womanmotorist.com/autoshows-2002/nyias-2002/nyas-2002-2003-infiniti-m45.shtml :eek: Boring!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
First off, I think it is more a matter of opinion. What you like, depends what you are looking for.

Also NSXNext, THe 2k2 max with a good driver, I have seen it at Long Island Motorsports Track, do a 14.3, okay drivers get around 14.7. So you should double check your info on that, many of my friends own Maximas.

As for my own opinion I'd get maybe the CL-S 6speed coming out soon or wait and see the Nissan G35 coupe, if it comes out. But that is because I like coupes better.

Since you specified you want a 4 door how about a G35, or an Audi, or even a bimmer and lastly TL-S they are all pretty good choices just depends on taste.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe the 2003 Nissan 350z is suppose to be in the price range of the other cars you are talking about.

It's hard to recommend a car that isn't even out yet but it is something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to chime in here... I sold my '94 Legend LC (cloth) Auto Sedan (with 50k miles) to get in to a 2k2 6-speed Maxima and I'm totally satisfied with the car! It is my first car that is not a Honda product and I'm very happy with it. My requirements were as follows:

-4-door
-6-cylinder
-5/6-speed manual
-cloth interior

The only other cars that met these requirements (in a similar price range) were the Passat and Altima. If I had to nit pick about the car, these would be the issues I have:

- Turning radius is 40' (not nearly as good as my G2 at under 35')!!!
- Doesn't shift as well as a Honda, but I'm hoping that Red Line MT-90 will fix that...
- Doesn't have great headroom with the moonroof...

As far as the HP goes, this car can destroy my old Legend and I'm fairly sure that it could pretty handily dispatch of just about any 6-speed Type II sedan or coupe (I've only driven 2 of them) out there. You have to consider that the Maxima weighs about 300lbs less than the Legend and it has the benefit of being a 3.5L versus a 3.2L (not to mention 246ft/lbs of torque versus 210ft/lbs) ... If you'd like, go to http://forums.maxima.org and search for some 1/4 mile times for yourself. Autos generally run high 14's while the 6-speeds generally turn in low 14's...

Now don't get me wrong, I loved my Legend and still do (sold it to my best friend so it would have a good home:) ), but I wanted to get back to driving stick shift again and the Maxima was the best car for me... The best advice I can offer you is to drive it for yourself and come to your own conclusions!

GTB G2

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I think many Legend owners have great repsect for the Maxima. That is one of the few cars that I would own. I personally like the 99 style better than the 2000 styles rear lights, but the car itself is solid. If you get a 5-6 speed version it will be a performer. The 99's where doing 1/4 in the high 14s low 15s in the manual version, so they are right up there with the TYPE II 6-Speed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
UnSeEnLeGeNd said:
NOTHING WILL EVER COME CLOSE TO THE ALL MIGHTY LEGEND. I HAVENT SEEN A CAR YET WITH SUCH CLASS AND SPORTINESS....
Agreed. My coworker just purchased at 2002 TLS and its quite the veichle. He still liked my Legend quite a bit and even more when he drove it. He refers to it as the grandpa in the Acura lineage from which the current stuff tries to emulate. I have driven his TLS and its mad quick. I love the VTEC roar and the sportshift is decent. You can definately tell the difference between a car made in Japan (Ledge) and the states (CL/TL). The Ledge is still very quiet and rattle free sans my keychain rattling. He has already been into the dealer to have some squeaks and rattles looked at. Just goes to show you when Japan imports something over here they don't send the crap! Not calling the CL/TL's crap but just different. Honda is posting record profits and you have to realize it is at the cost of cost-cutting elsewhere. When I find a replacement for my coupe from Acura I will consider it, perhaps the photoshopped RL? I-VETC sounds good but I want a V8 to keep up with the GS400 and S4's. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
LegendC said:

You can definately tell the difference between a car made in Japan (Ledge) and the states (CL/TL). The Legend is still very quiet and rattle free sans my keychain rattling. He has already been into the dealer to have some squeaks and rattles looked at. Just goes to show you when Japan imports something over here they don't send the crap!
I would agree with your comments on the quality issue... My Legend at 8 years old and with 50k miles was/is still pretty much silent and rattle free! While the TL-S didn't exactly meet my needs, I did look at it and came to the same conclusions about quality. The same was also true about the Altima (made stateside) versus the Maxima (made in Japan until the 2k4 comes out)... While the Altima was an arguably better design (read: independent rear suspension) then the Maxima, it just wasn't as well put together.

Also, you have to consider that the TL/Max/I35 are cars of a different class then the Legend. Our Legends are more along the lines of a Lexus LS or Infiniti Q, but with only a V6... That is, they were the flagship of the brand rather than the "near luxury" son like the TL/Max/I35 are. It's just that whole market went upscale since the birth of Lexus/Infiniti... That's why most of us are guessing that there is a good chance that the new Legend (RL) will be a V8!

The Maxima is a far sportier car (at least in the SE trim I have) than my Legend ever was, but the tradeoff is some of the luxury... Now the new Infiniti Q45 versus our Legend...:D

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hmmmm, how can I say this... I've had a Maxima before, and it was a good car, and don't get me wrong, but the quality of the older Maxima's has gone down hill... The newer ones are great, but I'm seeing more and more of them everyday, just as I am the TL's and CL's (in my opinion, those are Acura Junk built in Ohio, using substandard parts and labor to build them - they are bland and boring... get one to run to the grocery store in...) Over the past few years, I've really come to hate Hondas (my God this is sacrilige I know!), but the only ones that I've ever really liked have been my Legend, the NSX, and the S2000 - all cars that I've had very close contact with. For me to buy a new TC/CL, I'd have to be desperate and need a car right now, that I wasn't going to do anything to, and wasn't going to drive hard, just drive it on errands. I'm sorry if I offended any TC/CL owners, but I believe that I have the right to expect more from Acura, a LUXURY/PERFORMACE division of Honda... and from what I've seen, Acura these days just plain sucks (besides the '02 NSX...) I'd stick with an older Legend and put some good money into it (if you HAVE to have a Honda), or if I were you, I'd get an '02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with the sport package and be done with it... Neither Acura or Nissan can match Audi's build quality, and not to mention, a slightly modded A4 will beat the TL-S and the 6-speed Maxima... and it costs around the same amount of money... Just my opinion though, and I have very very different opinions than most of the people on this forum - I drift and believe in RWD turbocharged cars only... my Legend is just a daily driver that's really nice and reliable...

·
Registered
10 Posts
95Legend6Spd said:
I'd get an '02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with the sport package and be done with it... Neither Acura or Nissan can match Audi's build quality, and not to mention, a slightly modded A4 will beat the TL-S and the 6-speed Maxima... and it costs around the same amount of money...
You've got a good point there... I looked at the '02 A4, but as much as I liked the Quattro, handling, and build quality (read: built like a brick), it was just too small for me for the money. The Legend is 194.5", the Maxima is 191.5", and the A4 is 179"... That plus the fact that if you have any intentions of keeping it, repairs are usually far more expensive (as most German cars are) than they are on Japanese cars.

As far as a "slightly modded" (which I read as a "chip") A4 being able to beat a 6-speed Maxima, I don't think so... I'm faster stock than my buddy's S4 is stock. While the Quattro helps handling, it slows you down due to the additional driveline drag and the fact that it weighs about 200lbs more doesn't help either. That all being said, I don't think that the A4 (1.8 or 3.0) is a car that's about straight line speed, but more about handling...

The A4 1.8T is a great car (and comes in cloth too:)) if you're willing to sacrifice the V6 and space to get better handling and all-weather traction. Remember, any car you end up with will be some kind of compromise... It just comes down to what compromises you're willing to make!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts