Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up guys, i did the first part of my coldair project, but now i'm stumped. What i had originally planned to do is no longer possible, so i wanted to turn to you guys for ideas to see what kind of setups u did. If u guys have any pics, i'd appreciate it alot.

·
Registered
583 Posts
go to the main gen one page and at the bottom, do a search for:
"post pics of intakes"
lots on there

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
Take a look at mine. if you have any questions let me know.

My C.A.I.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey full_stealth, thanks alot for the pics. Actually, that's what i set out to do from the beginning, was to remove that hose infront of the battery, but as i was workin, i realized it doesn't come off, unless i missed something. Is there a way to take it off? i noticed yours is gone, so i'm tryin to figure out what u did. how much farher does your duct pipe go after? is it just till the battery and that's it? by the way, do u have a filter anywhere or is under the piping? thanks alot for the help though, at least i know my idea was possible now!

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
The old pipe runs in front of the battery and down behind the headlight through a 3 inch hole in the metal. in there is some airbox thing that you can rip out when you remove the old piping. To access the airbox you need to remove a panel in the wheel well and unbolt it. The compartment that is left is where you can put your filter when you put in the new piping. Right now I am using dryer hose but when I have more time I would like to get real piping of some sort fabricated for this. Maybe wrap the dryer hose in fiberglass or something? Take out your battery and start tearing the old pipe out and you will see how it all comes together then. let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright, thanks alot full_stealth, i'm gonna take a look at it. That helps alot. about the airbox thing that u said u can rip out...is that the duct that's already infront of the battery, or are u talkin about somethin behind the headlight inside that hole?

·
Registered
427 Posts
hi guys i'm in need of a new air filter and was interest in a CAI i have an automatic and was wonder if you guys have a auto or manual. i know manual is possible to put a CAI but auto is harder i heard. Anyone done this with an auto??? and what intake did you buy?? is it weapon-r one ??? thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
kaastro said:
alright, thanks alot full_stealth, i'm gonna take a look at it. That helps alot. about the airbox thing that u said u can rip out...is that the duct that's already infront of the battery, or are u talkin about somethin behind the headlight inside that hole?
This pipe? just pull it out. It's pressfit into body panel...

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
this is the hole I did in the bottom panel. I have to take a photo to show you the scoop that I made... will do tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Heres the scoop.
I currently have an open filter in the engine compartment with a cold air hose blowing to it, but I'm going to move the filter into the fender soon (less heat)

Attachments

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
That is the pipe that needs to be torn out. I have an automatic too. check out the pic I drew on my web page. (sorry about the huge file size anyone not on DSL and above).

My CAI

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Bukowski. I like your idea.......but i'm afraid of water gettin in. Are u gonna attach a pipe to the scoop? or are u just leavin it like that just to bring in more air? If it's just to direct air, it's cool, but it's connected to a pipe, u gotta be extremely careful. full_stealth, i like ur idea. We all have pretty much the same setups, although, they each vary differently. I connected my filter similar to Bukowski's setup, then i was going to run a pipe through like u had done. I like the idea of the filter stayin where it is though. It's alot easier. But both of u guys want to mount the filters down there which is cool, but are there any advantages to that? will it suck in more air? or is it just for the idea of sucking in colder air? I'm planning to completely cover me filter with an air duct anyhow b/c my filter has a heat shield, so i don't think it would make much difference for me. Anyhow, thanks alot for your help guys. VERY helpful. I'm gonna try to work on it tommorow. I'll def post some pics after. Bukowski, i'd really like to hear more of what u're plannin on doin with that scoop.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to mount my filter at the top of the chamber in front of the wheel, hanging upside down. Then water would have to be scooped up into the panel and fly up approx 4-5 inches to touch the filter (of which it will repel a little water)
The scoop would bring more cold air into the chamber and the filter location would gain a lot colder air than where it currently is.

·
88 sleeper
1,159 Posts
Bukowski=Legend said:
Just one 90 out of the throttle body. The filter mounts to the stock elbow.
but on your CAI wont you have another 90 to point the piping downwards?

The reason i ask is because i was wondering why run all that pipe just for it to go through all the bends & turns in the plenum??

1' of 3" piping @ 90degrees is the same as 3' of straight pipe.

That being said since you have a gtech...
run your setup now..use 3200lbs for a baseline. run 5 times...get average

Run your CAI setup ...use same weight. allow cooldown or whatever... repeat

Run open filter on throttle body....repeat

then check results & see if it was worth it.

thats what i did with my setup & the reason why im running my setup the way it is now.
That being said, i never ran a CAI setup..just opened stock filter. filter on stock pipe. filter on smooth 3" pipe, then filter on TB

There wasnt much of a diff. the filter on the TB netted a 1hp over the stock pipe W cone filter on it. but..the kicker was the highest was 3hp over the other setups.

btw. these were all second gear max pulls

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bukowski=Legend said:
Heres the scoop.
I currently have an open filter in the engine compartment with a cold air hose blowing to it, but I'm going to move the filter into the fender soon (less heat)
Bukowski can you take some front close ups of you car and setup thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts