Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 92 LS Sedan Automatic. My question is, is it bad to drive in D3 (overdrive) when I am driving around the city, not highway? I like to drive in D3 becuase I feel that I get faster pickup but I don't want to F*** up my engine. Please enlighten me.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Good question, I can tell you this from my experience in my old G1 Coupe. I regilously shifted from d4 to d3 and vise versa and after a while I twisted that transmission and I said to myself after I bought my G2 Cpe (auto) that I'd never do that again. So far I done it 3 or four time over the past two years. Not bad. Plus, it eat up gas, but thats nothing new to us legend owners.

So, I say it's BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!, but that's me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hey I D3.....

Anytime I wanna race:D
Which is like 90 percent of the time:D ;)

Had my car for 4 years, nothing wrong with my tranny yet except the hard shifts from 1st to second

Shouldnt be a prob, try not to red line it tho;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have read this over and over in this forum: people using D3 for racing. It makes absolutely no difference in acceleration from 0 all the way to 96 miles per hour as to whether you are in D3 or D4. It is ridiculous to think that your 0-30, 0-90, 30-90, 22-47... time will be any faster in D3. The shift points are the same, the torque is the same, the horsepower is the same. The only time D3 has ANY advantage of D4 in acceleration is if you are already in 4th and need to downshift for acceleration, and you are going between 60 and 90 MPH. Then you can downshift to D3 before you need to accelerate, and the only improvement this will give you on acceleration is the time it takes the computer to downshift you from 4th to 3rd, a fraction of a second at best. And if you are going below 60 MPH and need to accelerate, D3 or D4 makes no difference because both take the same amount of time to get into 2nd.

The absolute fastest way to get from a standstill to any speed, whether it be 10MPH or 140MPH is to leave it in D4 and put that ****ing pedal all the way to the steel.

Now, as for the main question, I leave mine in D3 in the city if I don't plan on going over 35 MPH. It is actually better for the tranny because when you are going at 30 MPH or so and in D4, every time you dip the pedal, the engine has to downshift to 3rd, causing unnecessary shifting. Leave it in D3 then your tranny has that many fewer shifts in its life. And at 35 MPH the difference in gas mileage is between 4th and 3rd is so insignificant its not even funny, unless your are traveling hundreds of miles at that constant speed. And if the engine revs bother you leaving it in 3rd, turn up the radio!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the original owners manual for my legennd from acura and it says to leave the transmission in d3 during stop and go driving to prevent from shifting to 4TH. Personally i drive mine in d3 in the city,like Jackrabbit does. I just hope it doesnt affect the tranny in the longrun :D :D

·
Banned
759 Posts
D# its to DOWNSHIFT ON THE HIGHWAY, BUT BE SMART NOT TO DOWNSHIFT INTO 8,000 RPMS NOT FUN... NEWAYZ D3 A DRAG RACE IN MY CASE B/C AT THE TRACK IT DOSENT MATTER TO ME B/C MY TRAP SPEED IS STILL IN 3RD BUT IF ITS STILL A CLOSE RACE HOLD IT IN 3RD TO ABOUT 115 THATS MY 6850 PRMS.

1-2 7200
2-3 6850
3-4 HOLD IT TO 6850

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Look, you guys said it don't make a difference, but I noticed.. personally on my car...

Doesn't matter if i'm going 30-90mph, the difference between D3 and D4 is 1,200RPMs or so. D3 always runs the engine faster for me.

At least that's what the tach says and I feel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to agree. When I am in D3 I get faster acceleration. You can just feel it. I like D3 and I think that I am going to continue to use it in the city. Thanks to all you guys for the help!

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
What they are saying is the D3 simply is the 3rd gear on the Legend's 4 speed auto tranny. D4 is the 4th gear. Of course 1 and 2 are the 1st and 2nd. If you are starting from a dead stop, it doesn't matter if you are in D3 or D4 since the car will start in 1st gear, then shift to 2nd gear, then shift to 3rd gear (D3) up until it maxes out the 3rd gear. In this case it is the exact same acceleration for D3 and D4. The reason why you guys think the cars is accelerating faster in D3 from a highway race is because in D4 the car takes a split second to downshift into 3rd (D3) from 4th (D4). If you leave your car in D3 all the time, then you don't waste time downshifting so in that case you might save that extra 1/2. However, if you are driving in D4 and want to race and drop it into D3, than you really are not saving much time since it takes about .4 seconds for you to move the shifter, and it takes about the same time for the car to downshift if you stomp on the pedel anyway. You might save .2 seconds shifting yourself, but in a highway race that is nothing. 0.2 might help at the 1/4 mile track, but you are starting from a dead stop, so it doesn't matter again.

Remember, no matter what the but dyno is telling you, the gear ratios are not changing so acceleration is not changing. It doesn't matter if you are forcing the car into 3rd gear (D3) or you let the car downshift into 3rd gear, the 3rd gear is the same gear so there is no acceleration difference.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand what you guys are saying. When I said that the car accelerates faster, I meant, once it finally gets to 3rd. That is when I feel more power. I get a better response when I step on the pedal. I just wanted to know if it was bad to use D3 most of the time when driving in the city and i guess that the answer is that it is ok to use in the city. Thanks.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Triton3K said:
Thanks for clearing all that up Chrisk, but now it was also said that D3 tends to burn more gas than D4, is this true?
If you drive in D3 all the time than yes. The reason is because it will never up shift into 4th gear if yo leave it in D3, so since you are in a lower gear you are not getting the best gas mileage. Same as if you had a manual car and drive in 3rd gear all the time rather than shifting to 4th or 5th.

·
Registered
143 Posts
in d3, the car may, on average (assuming city driving), run at higher RPMs than if it was in d4. since it is at higher RPMs, it will burn more gas. the apparent advantage of this is that you transy has to shift less, thereby theoretically saving transy life.

so it comes down to:
worse mileage, nicer for transy
-or-
more shifting, but running moreefficiently.

it's kind of like the dichotomy of downshifting to a stop vs braking (ie- by downshifting, you save brake wear since the engine helps in slowing down, but consequently, it makes your engine work at higher rpms, burning more fuel and putting slightly more strain on the transy)

cheers!

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
JUST TO CLEARIFY

the Legends trans Does not start in first gear unless you romp the pedal.

the trans will idle and gingerly accelerate in 2nd gear that fourth bop you feel while driving slowly is the torque converter lockin up. i know this as i lost second gear and the only way i can get to first is through D1. i remember sitting at lights tryin to figure why when you shift from D3 to D2 nothing happens but when you shift to D1 the car has a minute jump whe it engages the the jump occurs again when you shift back to D2. that is the main cause of Second Gears goin out on legends.

if you dont believe me, try it at the next light you at or if you still are skeptical. i dont care. this is my knowlege of haveing and losing 2nd gear.

one...

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
I say treat the car like a gem and don't beat it to hell with all that wild shifting. Eventually, it will catch up with you and cost you money, and remeber its a luxuary car not a sports car. The D3 is a nice feature, but I don't believe it was intended for all that radical abuse and spontanious shifting. I'm starting to sound like a scratched record.

Thank you, and SHIFT RESPONSIBLY.

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.