Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched the forums, and there seems to be some conflicting information out there. My 90 sedan has 280kms and has had the tranny rebuilt several years back. I have no idea how long its been since the last flush. Some posts have said flushing high mileage trannys does more harm than good. What should I do??

thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
the main problem that you will have is that the flush will contaminate your solenoid valves. you will have to remove them after the flush and clean the screens. besides that, i don't see any other problems.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This topic has been discussed many times, I could go into great detail but I'll give you the short version.

If the fluid hasn't been flushed on time and the tranny has allot of miles DO NOT FLUSH OR CHANGE THE FLUID. The reason is, over time transmission fluid breaks down and looses its detergent (cleaner) Sludge then forms inside the transmission but gets stuck in certain places. Most of the time it stays in just the right place to not harm operation until the buildup gets moderate. Then when you flush or put new fluid into that tranny, the new fluid contains lots of detergent and loosens up the sludge in the tranny thats been sitting there not hurting anything, it then gets sucked into the valve body, solenoids, tourqe converter, etc. This is wear the damage happens, clogged or partially clogged valves in the valve body create slippage and low pressures, eventually this burns the clutches in the tranny out and the tranny slowly kills itself.

There's the short version. FEW...........

·
Registered
84 Posts
would the Auto-RX hurt my tranny? My car hasent been running in like 2 years I start it like once in awhile. But not too often because I need to fix a few things but anyway should I put the Auto-RX in it since its been unused for so long and ya... or just leave it as it. its an Auto I believe we have changed the tranny once not sure...what should I do in both cases?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If a car sits too long seals and gaskets start to degrade. For instance even in winter you should run your aircond once a week. It's a good idea to activate your power windows fairly often. Running the engine once a week will help. AutoRx may have some benefits for your seals but I think the idea is not to let it sit idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.