Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car 3 years ago with 86,000 on it, and I had the tranny checked by Acura right after I got it due to the 1st-2nd hard shift. They told me all of the mounts were fine, and it was just the nature of the Legends. I now have 125,000 on my Legend, and it is now starting to shift hard between 2nd-3rd. I'm beginning to wonder if this means I have a cracked rear tranny mount. Did any of you happen to notice anything like this before you car was diagnosed with a broken mount? Also, how much should I expect to pay for parts and labor to get it fixed? Finally, did the new tranny mount correct the hard shifting, and did it come back at all after a period of time? I'll be taking my car to the dealer over Christmas break to get the oil changed and the cooling system serviced, so if I have a broken mount, I'll be getting it fixed then. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I replaced my rear mount at around 56,000 miles. The symptom I experienced was a pronounced "clunk" from under the console area when taking a sharp turn up a grade (when the vehicle's weight transferred). When brought to the local Acura dealer the tech could not locate the problem and had no idea what would cause the noise. In finding this Forum I finally diagnosed the problem as many were experiencing the failed mount. You would have thought that the Acura tech would have known about this defect.

I did not experience what I would consider to be an excessively hard upshift. I had used Dexron 1x when I first bought the vehicle. Again, at the recommendation of the Forum, I performed an A/T flush using only Honda fluid. This did provide a significant difference in the upshifts.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I changed mine myself, the part cost about $190 but I'm told I got ripped off. Mine shifts a little softer but it still will put the rubber down from 1-2. I did a DIY if you search for it it might help.

·
Sales Guido
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LPB said:
I did not experience what I would consider to be an excessively hard upshift. I had used Dexron 1x when I first bought the vehicle. Again, at the recommendation of the Forum, I performed an A/T flush using only Honda fluid. This did provide a significant difference in the upshifts.
Thanks for the info. I flushed my tranny when I first got the Legend, and changed the fluid twice since then. It seemed to help a bit, but not too much. The tranny doesn't seem to slip at all, so I'm not thinking it's anything internal. I guess I'll just have them check out the mounts when it goes in and probably get them fixed if broken. If it's not the mounts, maybe I'll just flush it again and see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
A good test for a broken tranny mount is to put the car in reverse and listen for a clunking noise, that indicates the mount is cracked or in some cases completly broken as in my friends Legend coupe. I need a another rear mount already :mad: the current one was put in fall of 2001. Expect to pay in the $120 range for the mount at the discounted price. My mech. will install for $45 not too bad. These mounts should defin. last longer than 3 years :confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.