Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1990 Acura Legend
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting code 8 off my ECU but when checking my timing its lining up with a strobe, could this just be a sensor failing or is top dead that sensitive that it might be off just a hair?

B

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
The TDC sensor is only used during startup and can sometimes cause a no start if the sensor is completely dead. The only way to fix the code is to replace your distributor (junkyard is your best bet... throw on a new cap/rotor and you'll be good to go) as the TDC sensor cannot be replaced separately.

Timing with the engine running should be on because the crankshaft position sensor is providing accurate data.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
I'm getting the same code too. I guess I gotta look around ebay.

·
1990 Acura Legend
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TDC sensor is only used during startup and can sometimes cause a no start if the sensor is completely dead. The only way to fix the code is to replace your distributor (junkyard is your best bet... throw on a new cap/rotor and you'll be good to go) as the TDC sensor cannot be replaced separately.

Timing with the engine running should be on because the crankshaft position sensor is providing accurate data.
That would explain why it takes a few seconds and sometimes a few trys to get it started, huh?

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
173 Posts
tdc sensor

Well, in my experience, the upper distributor bearing fails, slowly disintegrates, showering the inside of the cap with sort of rusty metal dust. This upsets the sensor. Short term fix is to pull the distributor and flush out the rust with some wd40 or similar, flush the hidden area under the plate below the rotor. Long term fix is to install a new upper bearing. I did it, so can you. I have a post on here somewhere regarding this.
Of course if you've nothing better to do with your dough you can just install a new distributor.

$4 bearing or $200 distributor, your choice.

Jay

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
$4 bearing or $200 distributor, your choice.
You managed to take it apart and install a new bearing? I thought our distributors had issues with that and it was impossible to get the TDC sensor to align up again?

I would personally just go to the junkyard and buy a used distributor... $20 tops. New cap/rotor and you're good to go.

·
Registered
173 Posts
dist bearing

here you go,

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f2/distributor-grief-115212/

lots of pissing and moaning on this thread (99% from me) excellent photos from other members

So, maybe get a spare from a wrecker, just so you don't get stuck, and slap a bearing in your old one, given that these bearings are small and trouble seems common, I'd say the bearing needs replacement maybe every 150,000 miles or so.

Seems to me like the fellow who had trouble with reassembly either mis-assembled (reluctor ring upside down?) or, more likely, had other troubles, bad pickup, broken wire, I dunno.

my distributor is still working fine.

cheers, Jay

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Jay, would you mind re-writing your distributor bearing replacement in DIY format; when you find time, please? I think this is a cost saving approach and will definitely benefits us all, thanks :bigok:

BTW OP, anyluck in addressing your TDC-code 8 issue?!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts