Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did that ECU thing and I got 8 blinks. Seems I need a top dead sensor positon switch, and the only thing is that I have No clue What ThAt is. Help me please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Distributor rotation sensor: This is probably the CRANK/TDC (top dead center) sensor and the CYL sensor. The CYL sensor is used to detect the position of the no. 1 cylinder whose signal is used to trigger the sequential fuel injection.. The sensor is located on the right side of the engine and is difficult to see. However it looks like a big motor leading one to think that it is functions like an encoder or geared motor. Chilton's confirms that the signals are generated by the rotation of toothed wheels passing through pick up coils.

this is as much info as I could find. hope it helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
code 8 from ECU

gaAcura88 - you have a bad top dead centre position sensor.
the bad news is the sensor is integral to the distributor assembly, and you need to replace the whole distributor assembly, which cost me about 250 for a new unit, although you can get second hand units from junkyards, or go for a reconditioned one.
With the ECU holding the CODE 8, your car will probably be running in a safemode program, meaning the performance suffers.
you can erase the code no problem, and the car should run better until the ECU picks up the fault again. I did this for about 8 months before I got a replacement distributor. In case you don't know, you can reset your ECU by pulling the alternator fuse out for a few minutes (the alternator fuse is under the hood in the large black fusebox, there should be a diagram on the back of the fusebox lid giving fuse positions).

sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you will notice the difference with a new distributor. my idle smoothed out, accelaration flat spots disappeared, performance overall improved, and fuel economy is better.

richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts