Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I thought I was almost done with my 5-speed swap, and then this happens.

I can't move the shift lever (gearshift) side to side. It moves forward and backward though, but it takes more effort than it should I think.
I can't really find neutral, or decide what gear the tranny is in.

When I ran the engine, up on jackstands and no tires, and let out the clutch, the hubs turned just fine, but the speedo only shows me going about 20 mph at 2K RPM. And even if I feel like I'm changing gears, I don't think I am because speed and RPM seem to have the same proportion.

I have connected the shift linkage properly as far as I can tell. It wasn't too hard, just 2 bolts at the tranny. The tranny was also in working order before I salvaged it.

Did I possibly do something wrong?

Anybody have any suggestions? I can't really use the car the way it is now.

EDIT: This is on an '87 sedan.

· Registered
242 Posts
it sounds like the piece that moves the shifter dogs came out and your trans is stuck in one gear. I could rebuild it but you live too far away. You have a choice, pull the tranny yourself, or take to a tranny shop. Because this happened you have a part or parts wore out, either the shifter piece, one of the shifter dogs(shifter piece moves the dogs to select a gear) or the housing. I am not shure of the proper names for the parts, but basicly it's the internal shifter mechanism. Good luck and let me know if I can be of service.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
Sounds like its out of sync IMO... each constant mesh has dog teeth, assembly consist of; synchro sleeve, spring, hub, key and teeth... here is how it works.

Synchro's purpose is to lock the input shaft gear to the output shaft gear, keys fit into notches in the synchro rings to tie the hub to the synchro ring and keep the two spinning together, the keys prevent the blocker ring teeth from moving.

As the shift progresses, the tapered ends of the dog teeth on the blocker ring attempt to mesh with the tapered ends of the sleeve teeth, as the shift is completed, the teeth on the sleeve overlap the dog teeth on the gear and the blocker ring wedges against it.

Yeah I agree with john bigonion, sleeve is probably loose and doesn't line up with the blocker ring and dog teeth... hope this helps, good luck :)

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so that kinda sucks.

Is there anything I can do myself to fix it? I am pretty sure this is something I can't fix myself, but just curious. There's nothing I can do from the outside of the tranny, right?

John, do you have an idea how much this repair would be? I can get the tranny back out and take it somewhere. But I don't know if it's worth it. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a used one?

· Registered
779 Posts
telafonic said:

Is there anything I can do myself to fix it? I am pretty sure this is something I can't fix myself, but just curious. There's nothing I can do from the outside of the tranny, right?

John, do you have an idea how much this repair would be? I can get the tranny back out and take it somewhere. But I don't know if it's worth it. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a used one?
i went to the jk/y friday and got my trans for $275 they pulled it and i got to feel the trans in the car before they pulled it

good luck

· Registered
242 Posts
wow, I paid less than that for a hole auto coupe!! For a trans thats a really good deal!!

· Registered
242 Posts
well, unlike yours, my coupe will be faster with an auto, don't be jealous, be happy!

· Registered
4,259 Posts
telafonic said:

U'r right telafonic... problem is all internal, I strongly recommend though to just take the tranny out and take it to a shop if you want it done correctly ;)

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
88_acro said:
i went to the jk/y friday and got my trans for $275 they pulled it and i got to feel the trans in the car before they pulled it

good luck
pnoye2 said:
U'r right telafonic... problem is all internal, I strongly recommend though to just take the tranny out and take it to a shop if you want it done correctly ;)
Thanks guys. Now I have to decide what is best. Rebuild it, or used. I'll call around and get some prices to compare I guess. Either way, I get the extreme pleasure of undoing all my work and taking out the tranny again. :rolleyes:

· Registered
150 Posts
I have the same issue with my tranny
I had to make all my shifter linkage custom made :(
now the shifting is not as smooth as it was and u have to kinda force it into gear
:(

does anyone have pictures of the tranny internals ?
please post them up !!
thanks

· Registered
779 Posts
john bigonion said:
well, unlike yours, my coupe will be faster with an auto, don't be jealous, be happy!
the only reason would be because you would use nos

go your stock auto vs my stock manual youll get stomped on :giggle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.