Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just blew the clutch in my 1989 Acura Legend last week. My local shop quoted my 800.00 to fix it, which I agreed to. They called last night to say it was ready to pick up so I went down this morning and paid for it and started to drive off...didn't get more than 100 feet down the road when the passenger side CV joint blew up all over the road. Is it possible that he somehow caused this to happen in his replacing the clutch? It didn't feel right when I let the clutch out and the car would suddenly lurch forward (or back) when I engaged the clutch. He's now claiming I have to pay for him to replace the axel and I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The axles have to be removed to do the clutch, and it's quite possible he separated the shaft from the joint, but didn't know because the boot covers it up. In other words, the shaft was barely hanging on to the joint splines, and it was reinstalled that way. When you started driving, the shaft wallowed out the splines, and eventually gave out.

But like I said, that's only a 'possible' scenario. In situations like this, it's really hard to prove one way or the other - the joint could have been ready to go out, but who kows for sure. I take it this was not a Honda/Acura shop, but like a Meineke or something, huh?

What I would do, is find every piece of that axle on the road, and have a GOOD Honda tech look at it (preferably an old guy who's been working on Honda/Acura for 20 some-odd years, because most dealership techs these days are all young, and have never seen a Legend because no-one takes them to a dealer anymore). Sometimes you can tell if the joint went out because of normal wear, or if the shaft was not all the way in. Like I said, hard to prove either way, but if a reputable dealer back you up, and confirms it did NOT go out due to normal wear, then you can tell the shop who did the clutch to make it right, or you'll take their @$$ to small claims court. Usually, when given that kind of ultimatum, the shop will do the repair just to avoid the hassle. But then there's the question if you really want those guys putting in an axle, when they couldn't do it rught the first time.

But from personal experience, axles dont just go out. First the boot breaks, then all the grease slings out, then it overheats the joint, THEN it explodes. My point being, if the shop was a GOOD repair facility, then they would have told you about needing the boot before they put it all back together. If they didn't tell you about a broken boot, I would bring that to their attention, and ask them why they didn't inform you of it, knowwhatImean?

·
Registered
650 Posts
So definitely get the second opinion. If ya want, post some pics of the busted joint/axle/pieces. I'm young, but I've learned from the best and brightest of Honda techs. We'll see if we can determine anything from the pics to help ya out.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree completely. If that CV joint was ready to let go, you would have had symptoms (clicking noise when making tight turns) for a very long time....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.