Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
skip said:
I have A '90 legend L Auto, and a similar problem.
If I don't warm her up for a long time, it won't shift up to 3rd & 4th gears.

Also if I drive it while it's warming up (only uses 2nd) at some point it will rev up, as in Neutral, but this will only last a few seconds at most, then it shifts up and runs great (I usually let off the gas for several seconds, then tap the gas, and it will be ok).

I Changed the fluid (3X) shortly after I bought it (about 170,000 mi) to clear out the fluid from the tourque converter, etc.

It has done this since the day after I bought it. It now has about 185,000 mi.

Any chance it could be a solenoid, or sensor, or are the clutch plates the only likely source of the problem??

Anyone else out there have any info - advice..?

Also in looking for used trans (and other parts) I find 86-89, and 91-95... ? Is the '90 "special" or the same as 86-89?
OK.
I checked the Transmission code
I got 1 long blink, then 12 blinks (that's a 12, right?)
On the chart from the other threads I've read there is NO 12 (1-11, 13-15...)
[]
Anyone have any idea what's up with that?
Am I reading it wrong?

Appeciate any advise with this.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

cooling fan module?
ok, I'll look in the manuel.

for the trans.? or the TCU? OR at the radiator..?

Hmm, My Rad. fan sometimes comes on for NO reason while the car has been just sitting for hours - cold, even.
It this related?

Thanks again.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
hmmm thats strange.
actully minse would come on when the engine is cold and they stay on for about 1 minute or two.
i figured thats the module testing the fans.
when the condensor fan was out the s3 light whould blink giving me code 12.

but thats conected within the cooling fans....it shares the coolant temp sensor to see if the engine is warm enough to lock the t/c

· Registered
486 Posts
skip said:
Hmm, My Rad. fan sometimes comes on for NO reason while the car has been just sitting for hours - cold, even.
It this related?

Thanks again.
I think it is your condensor fan that keeps coming on and this is due to a faulty fan timer unit which is next to the ECU. Resolder it or replace it.

FAN CONTROL SYSTEM

The fan control unit controls the operation of the radiator fan and condenser fan.

It uses inputs from the coolant temperature switch and A/C pressure switch (A and
B) on the A/C system to determine when the fans should run and at what speed.

Additionally the temperature switch shuts down the A/C system if the coolant
temperature exceeds 110 °C (230 ° F. If the pressure in the A/C system is higher

than normal, pressure switch B closes and the fans will run at high speed only. See
Heating and Air Conditioning/ Air Conditioner Control System for description and
specification of that function.

FAN TIMER SYSTEM
When the engine oil temperature is above approx. 105 °C (221 °F) after the engine is

stopped, the condenser fan goes into operation to cool the engine for a maximum of
3O minutes .

When the temperature falls below approx. 90 °C (194 °F), the fan is stopped.

The fan motor runs at a low speed to decrease operation noise by using a resistor to
the motor voltage.

· Registered
486 Posts
skip said:
OK.
I checked the Transmission code
I got 1 long blink, then 12 blinks (that's a 12, right?)
On the chart from the other threads I've read there is NO 12 (1-11, 13-15...)
[]
Anyone have any idea what's up with that?
Am I reading it wrong?

Appeciate any advise with this.
Are you sure you are looking at the TCU and not the ECU. There shouldn't be any long blinks on the TCU. Also I can't find a code 12 for your car. I think the TCU is under the drivers seat in your car and faces towards the back.

Legend '88-'90

The computer is under the right front seat, unless the engine controller is there. Then
it'll be under the left front seat. Since that's not a lot of help, here's how to really tell.
The transaxle computer is under a front seat, and its LED aims to the rear. The
transaxle controller has only one LED. The engine controller has two, a red and a
green one. You want the box with only one LED.

Anyways, search on how to clean your solenoids and when you have done it then let us know how it shifts.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re:

jmm67 ,
Yeah, it is under the Pass. seat, only 1 LED (red) facing rear. I crwled behind the seat and had my G/F turn the ignition on, as soon as it clicked I saw the long blink, a pause then the rest. Tried this 2X.
I actually haven't found the ECU (thought it would be under the driver seat facing forward)

· Registered
638 Posts
i have a 90 legend L coupe and the ECU is under the passenger dash, under the floor carpet and my TCU is under the passenger seat with the light facing the back seat

i got a fan that will randomly come on too, even after the car has been sitting for 12hrs or more, it just kicks on and runs for like 10 seconds or so. Ive caught it a couple times in the morning or doing work around the yard, its a sneaky little fan. Im surprised i even noticed it. I'm still not sure which fan it is since i cant catch it in the act.

What does the fan timer look like? and is there anyway to troublshoot this?

· Registered
486 Posts
cigarettcancerman said:
i have a 90 legend L coupe and the ECU is under the passenger dash, under the floor carpet and my TCU is under the passenger seat with the light facing the back seat

i got a fan that will randomly come on too, even after the car has been sitting for 12hrs or more, it just kicks on and runs for like 10 seconds or so. Ive caught it a couple times in the morning or doing work around the yard, its a sneaky little fan. Im surprised i even noticed it. I'm still not sure which fan it is since i cant catch it in the act.

What does the fan timer look like? and is there anyway to troublshoot this?
It is connected to the ecu, it is in a black box. If you resolder the board then the fan problem should go away. I haven't seen a DIY on it but a few members have said they resoldered the board and fixed the fan timer unit.

Skip if you are in a coupe then the ECU will be under the floor carpet on the passenger side. Pull the carpet back from under the dash towards the seat and you will see it. If you have a sedan then I believe it is under the passenger seat.

· Registered
173 Posts
It gets damn cold here in Canada too, and once in a while it will hesitate shifting gears when I drive it first thing in the morning, then all is will after 5-10 min. Never does it in the summer, shifts smooth as butter. But as for the code 12, I had that, and it was the coolant temp sensor, located right below the intake, under the distributer (at least I think thats where it is, was a long time ago)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
However, I still have thr Trans. problem - TCU says 12, someone said that is for the "Coolant Temp. Sensor".
Anyone know where this sensor is located?
I've been looking in the manual, and digging under the hood....

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cooling Fan Module

skip said:
cooling fan module?
ok, I'll look in the manuel.

for the trans.? or the TCU? OR at the radiator..?

It this related?

Thanks again.
Ok, so where is the "Cooling Fan Module"??

Can I pull it open and check it like the main relay?

I need to fix the trans. shift problem 1st. it usually starts ok (If I make sure i crank it long enough the 1st time).

· Registered
4,259 Posts
skip said:
Ok, so where is the "Cooling Fan Module"??

Can I pull it open and check it like the main relay?
For the "rad fan coming on for no reason" I believed jmm67 got all that covered from his previous post... fan timer unit location, symptoms/diagnosis and repair.

Just curious skip... did you locate the "Coolant Temp. (TW) Sensor"?!? (which inline with the ECU) because I think redlegend also got that info. from previous post... BTW; you have a similar sensor for the coolant temp."GAUGE" sensor (for your dash indicator) this one is right below the distributor, besides air bleed valve.

Also, we have online help available... have you tried the "Auto Zone - G1 Engine Diagrams" sticky'd!!! thread by sciachir... you'll find some (but not all) useful tips and informations. hope this helps and good luck! ;)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New code

My car had sat for 2-3 weeks, and the battery went dead.
I jumped it warmed it up, got the tranny shifting (after it warmed up...)
and let the battery charge.
Today I went out to see if it still had the code.
Well, it had a new one - now it is code 15 (kickdown switch shorted?) :confused:
can i just clean this, do I need a replacement, I'm looking in the manual for it....
I think I'm going to have it looked at, any recomendations?
I don't want them to tell me I need a new trans. seems like just some major maintenance & minor repairs.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
clean all four solenoidsand adjust the kickdown switch.
when i first got my legend the S3 light was flashing i adjusted the cable and cleaned the solenoids.
the coolant sensor is located under the distributor cap.
it's not the coolant sensor...it's saying the cooling fan moduel is malfunctioning.
mines says the same but i ingnor that code becuase they work fine to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.