Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my GS where the trans will slip in all gears when the engine is cold but seems to be fine in warm weather or when the engine finally warms up in cold weather.

I just recently changed the trans strainer and fluid but it didn't seem to help. Is there something I can check out besides a new trans? I'm about to put the car up for sale, but want to figure this out before I pass a problem on to someone else...

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
How Many Miles on the car. It sounds like the clutch packs are worn to the point of slippage. How many miles were on the car when you got it. Anyway, the symptoms sound like tranny fluid change neglection.

My sedan has the same problem. I have tried Honda fluid, Aftermarket Fluid, Synthetics and additives with the same slipping when cold. A New Tranny is the ticket. Look on ebay, I see Type II trannies going for around $300 + ship.

Good Luck with your problem.

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
bwilder10h said:
118k on it when I got it. Didn't slip until I changed the fluid and strainer
That makes since now. It sounds like the tranny fluid was not maintained by the previous owner. Once tranny fluid gets so much wear and full of clutch material the clutch packs get conditioned to that fluid. Thats why when you changed the fluid it started slipping. I don't know how to explain it that well, but I have seen it several times in trannys that haven't had the fluid changed that they needed or that have been seriously neglected.

People whow aren't into cars that just pump gas, change the oil, and drive them seem to forget that there are other fluids that need servicing also.

The only way I know to fix that problem is to replace the clutch packs, very expensive in labor, or get a low mileage unit off ebay. I see them all the time for $300 or less + shipping. Remember you have a Type II so get the right transmission.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have A '90 legend L Auto, and a similar problem.
If I don't warm her up for a long time, it won't shift up to 3rd & 4th gears.

Also if I drive it while it's warming up (only shifting 1-2) at some point it will rev up, as in Neutral, but this will only last a few seconds at most, then it shifts up and runs great (I usually let off the gas for several seconds, then tap the gas, and it will be ok).

I Changed the fluid (3X) shortly after I bought it (about 170,000 mi) to clear out the fluid from the tourque converter, etc.

It has done this since the day after I bought it. It now has about 185,000 mi.

Any chance it could be a solenoid, or sensor, or are the clutch plates the only likely source of the problem??

Anyone else out there have any info - advice..?

Also in looking for used trans (and other parts) I find 86-89, and 91-95... ? Is the '90 "special" or the same as 86-89?

· FIXER
1,720 Posts
FYI. the strainer is not required to be changed for the lifetime of the vehicle. Even it the tranny is rebuilt. Just clean it.
I have heard of this problem before but it's been a while. I think the problem was the gasket on the strainer got misaligned when the strainer was installed causing a void or air gap. Kind of like when your drinking straw gets a hole in it and you can't suck anything. Also heard of the replacement strainer not being exactly the same as the removed one causing the same problem. Did you use an OEM one and match them up to be sure they are exactly the same? If you still have the old one just clean it and put it back on.

· Registered
899 Posts
sometimes the clutch packs glaze. Try driving it lightly for a few weeks and see if the glaze wears off. My 1995 was starting to slip, then I changed the atf 3 tiimes one night to get as much out as possible, and drove it gently. After a few weeks the glaze was gone and that was 70,000 miles ago with no slipping since.

· Factory Freak!
1,651 Posts
Rumnarv said:
That makes since now. It sounds like the tranny fluid was not maintained by the previous owner. Once tranny fluid gets so much wear and full of clutch material the clutch packs get conditioned to that fluid. Thats why when you changed the fluid it started slipping. I don't know how to explain it that well, but I have seen it several times in trannys that haven't had the fluid changed that they needed or that have been seriously neglected.

People whow aren't into cars that just pump gas, change the oil, and drive them seem to forget that there are other fluids that need servicing also.

The only way I know to fix that problem is to replace the clutch packs, very expensive in labor, or get a low mileage unit off ebay. I see them all the time for $300 or less + shipping. Remember you have a Type II so get the right transmission.
Yea thats a def. true story. Kinda funny how that works. This is where the ol' saying comes in, "Don't fix it unless its broke"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.