Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Yeah BABY!
970 Posts
What is the benefit of having a tranny cooler? I remember someone saying that their car shifted better with the tranny cooler.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Some have stated that they have better shifts and others state that the tranny will last longer. Don't really have the facts to prove or disprove, but for the liitle money and time it should take I figure it should be worth it. I haven't done this to my car yet(but have done it in the past to another car), when I do it I'm thinking of just using the powersteering cooler. My 91' has the power steering cooler, which the typeII coupes didn't, so I assume Honda deemed it pretty much unnecessary. I plan on getting the typeII hoses(I believe it should be some of the return lines) so I can eliminate the the cooler from the power steering system. Then I will just add more tranny hoses to incorporate the old powersteering cooler into the tranny cooling system. Not sure whether I would go through the radiator first(probably what I'll do) or the "new" cooler. What I like about the way I plan on doing this is that it's nice and neat and looks as if it's part of the car, because it is. Whatever you decide good luck.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Considering that heat is one of the main enemies of the transmission, I'd say a tranny cooler probably does help extend the life of the tranny. Also as stated in the first post, our cars have a chamber in the radiator just for the tranny fluid so there is a small tranny cooler built into every Legend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.