Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a manual transmission and are experiencing the feeling of the transmission sliding around.... in turns or with your input on the shifter.

First of all - unless both your mid mounts and rear trans mount are completely disintrigated your problem most likely is the rubber mount that houses the shift housing support rod.

You see, your shift lever connects to the transmission (basically) via two rods. One of the rods is controls input to the transmission for gear selection (directly from the shifter or shift lever) and the other rod (shift housing support rod) stabilizes the entire shift assembly. Basically the second rod houses the bowl that supports the shift lever.

WELL - the second rod travels through a rubber housing which supports the shifter, cushions your shift and reduces vibrations from the trans. Well, this rubber housing will most likely need replacing because the second rod is traveling side to side (freeplay).

Your fix will be (the rubber housing, of course) but will require you to drop the cat where it connects to the Y pipe (only) and removing the rubber grommets from the back of the cat - so that the cat drops down. You then must remove the heat shield on the belly of the vehicle and you will have instant access to the rubber housing I mention - also - you will have access to the rear trans mount.

FYI - you do not need to support the transmission (in any way shape or form) to remove the rear trans mount!

KNLNGUS

PS. You copy McKenzie?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Thanx KNLNGUS..... you should move this over too the useful topics section as I may end up doing this sometime soon here.

Have you done your clutch yet?:)

Is that the only way that you can check the tranny mounts is by dropping the heat sheild and cat..???

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
McKenzie, perhaps the forum guru(s) will be so kind.

I would recommend getting a used rubber housing.

Yes, clutch job is complete! I'm sure you will run across my other post which I briefly talk about it.

Yes, the only way to view / replace the rear trans mount is to drop (only) the front of cat from the y pipe and the belly heat shield.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks McKenzie.

Not a problem, yeah a hoist or jack stands (thats all I used for my clutch job - where I had to remove my rear mount and all linkage to the trans)

Be sure to use a lube with a high drop point (like 450 degrees or better) as things get hot under there!

KNLNGUS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.