Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Road Trip King
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking delivery:

I got to drive a mint GS 6-speed for about 8 hours yesterday. Joey (smokinfastlegend) and his father Joe have been in the market for a clean black G2 sedan with a manual transmission, and purchased one yesterday from "Blackbird." (See "Cars for Sale" on this forum, and it's in there).

The car is a 1994 GS 6-speed, black on ivory, and mint in every possible way -- minus a HG issue. Joey and his dad were unable to come pick up the car this weekend, so I assisted with transport of the vehicle from San Francisco to Las Vegas, Nevada. J&J will pick up the car the second week of January and make the rest of the trip with it to Atlanta.

Here are some shots from yesterday's adventures. I was a very long day on the road and in the skies. I started out leaving my home in Phoenix at about 2:00 a.m. I made it to Las Vegas by 6 a.m. local time. Caught a ride with Jeff (full_stealth) to the airport for my 11:30 flight and I was on the ground by shortly after 1 p.m. in SFO.

Leaving Phoenix. I had the road to myself in the coupe. Notice the time!

Waiting for our flight in LAS to take off.

Check out the name of this restaurant in SFO airport!

Blackbird in the driveway.

Can you say MINT interior?

Mileage when I took delivery.

This console is the only one I have ever seen with ZERO scratches, zero cracks.

Going through paperwork with the prior owner. This guy literally has a record of EVERY time he has gassed the car since 1994!!! Check out the logbook.

Here's the previous owner, Sivaram, alongside me on the freeway, right when the road split at a "Y." He waved and I waved and I could tell he was really going to miss the car.

Coming back via 280, 85, 101, and 152 to the 5 south.

This is the only spot I stopped to take a couple of pics along the road. I passed up a lot of other great photo opportunities because, quite frankly, I was afraid of the car heating up. It never seemed to have a problem if I just kept going at a good rate of speed.

This filthy G2 sedan passed me and the owner gave me a thumbs up! I gave one back :)

Filling up at Chevron in Baker, California.

The Baker area is the gateway to Death Valley.

And it's home to the world's largest thermometer!!

What's wrong with this picture?

All-in-all, the trip was a lot of fun -- albeit a little scary with the HG issue. The temperature went up a total of about five times in the ~600 miles. A few were just above halfway and went right back down, and the other two it got to 3/4 and I immediately pulled off the road and shut off the car for 10-15 minutes. The car is going to be fixed before Joe and Joe arrive in LAS to pick it up in the second week of January. I think of the 8 hours I spent in the car, I spent about 7 hours and 45 minutes staring directly at the temperature gauge. It was a little bit worrisome.

Driving impressions? Wow -- I want a GS-6. This thing shifted silky smooth. The suspension is far more refined than my coupe with 100k more miles. The car has a lot more space (understandably), but overall, it felt very much like my coupe. In fact, I kept finding myself reaching for the volume button in the wrong place because I thought I was reaching for my aftermarket stereo that wasn't there! It was cool to get used to steering wheel controls again. I find the sedan's seats more comfortable for my back than the coupes, but they don't have as much side support.

I arrived in Vegas at about 11 p.m. local time and -- as if that wasn't enough driving for the day -- left the GS with Jeff (caretaker of it for a couple of weeks) and hopped in the coupe to drive another 2 hours home to Utah.

Hope you enjoyed the drive as much as I did. And if anyone else needs me to transport a Legend, I'm your guy. :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Pretty Cool!

Transporter Tyson :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: That's pretty cool that you helped picking one up. I'd love to drive a GS-6 - I guess I have the next best thing - not for long though. I bet that was an experience of a lifetime for you although that HG issue seemed pretty scary. You should create an account on uship.com and start delivering :giggle:

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Sweet, now that is a title! I remember watching that movie and thinking damn he can drive. I suppose if there were ayone here to make a good transporter (of vehicles) it would be you

·
Holla at Ya Boy
1,448 Posts
That's a very nice GS Sedan. The interior is mint. You are a true Legend enthusiast Tyson. I've PM'd you several times and you've always assisted me very promptly.

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
hey tyson, i cant thank you enough for doing this for us. I can see what you mean about the engine, that thing needs a good cleaning. I cant wiat to get to see this thing in person, because it looks absolutely beautiful in the pictures :D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have decided to keep my Legend GS too unless someone offer me something that I can't refused. :) I want 6 speeds!!!!

I thought Jason was going to get it? He got scared away with HG issue?

·
Rebuilding :(
4,624 Posts
I have decided to keep my Legend GS too unless someone offer me something that I can refused. :)

I thought Jason was going to get it? He got scared away with HG issue?
you mean mondonalds right? If i remember right, he got convinced not to buy it because of the headgasket. They were affraid that the headgasket would get truely worse driving across the rockies.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Check out the twins. Interesting thing, this owner called his GS black bird too. :) They are like twins.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/maybach57/

Unfortunately the car was crushed a few weeks ago. The owner is trying to buy my GS. We will see what happen. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
What is wrong

Tyson:

There are several things wrong with that picture:

1) You should not be taking pictures while driving.
2) You are speeding (not legal at 80mph).
3) You are driving at night with no lights.
4) You are still accelerating (from the tach).
5) You are doing it to a car with a HG problem.

The seller must have been an idiot:) to part with
this car.

Blackbird

·
Road Trip King
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To address Blackbird's concerns about the picture --

1) You should not be taking pictures while driving.
Yes, you're right.
2) You are speeding (not legal at 80mph).
Yes, you're right again; I was 4 mph over the 75 limit. I-15 North is deathly quiet at 10 p.m. on a Sunday and everybody else was passing me at 85+. But that doesn't justify it.
3) You are driving at night with no lights.
?? They were on.
4) You are still accelerating (from the tach).
Nope. Cruise control was on. The flash washes out the green light.
5) You are doing it to a car with a HG problem.
The ironic thing was that the car heated up the worst when I was going slower. Go figure.

Regardless, thanks for the fun ride. It is very evident that you cared for Blackbird like your own child and I'm sure Joe and Joey will be equally meticulous.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts