Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NALM '20 Seattle dreaming
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what everyone thinks about this possible situation --

My son-in-law is the service manager at a local car dealership. (NOT Acura. More of a pre-owned car lot, but with a full service facility)

I can save a crap load of $$ if he does the work on my legend. I can just purchase the parts via AoA and have him install them.

My question is this -

To the Legend enthusiasts: When buying a Legend, how much would it matter if all the replaced parts were Acura OEM but not installed at an Acura dealer ? (I would have all receipts)

I don't think it would matter as much to the casual buyer as long as I had the receipts

thanks in advance

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
getting installation done by a dealership does not mean shit. (pardon my french)
the guys working at dealerships arent all that smart... only reason someone would goto dealership for all installation of parts big or small

1. too much money
2. too lazy
3. take advantage of the fact that if something goes wrong.. hes got a big company to blame and not some north african guy running a shop in his backyard.

I think sticking with OEM parts is cool and all, because you know they work. and you know they were designed to fit. But i mean.. leaning away from OEM sometimes shouldnt be made into such a big deal.. sometimes.... its just more efficient to go aftermarket. ?

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
As far as having work done goes, having Acura on the receipt is just like buying Bud Light. Milwaukees Best Light is Bud Light (Acura parts) with a different name on the can, Bud just doesn't spend the same money on the advertising. Get where I'm going at? I wouldn't care as long as the receipts don't say Meinke or one of those chain low-budget places! Plus, my guy kicks the dealers ass when it comes to quality of work, price, and how I'm treated. Bottom line, I would buy the car with non-acura receipts.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I agree. There are plenty of good mechanics that do not work at Acura. Furthermore, many people on this forum, buy their Acura parts and install the parts themselves. The important part is being able to prove the work was done.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Dave:

I think it matters on what the parts are. Aftermarket filters are okay to an extent. I would have to do some research on suspension pieces. Belts and hoses I would use Gates, if available. I would avoid dealership maintenance with what I have seen. As far as vehicle value I think nicely organized records that show regular maintenance are far better that a receipt from an Acura dealership. I would counter that by saying a handfull of receipts from Pop Wheelers Model T Farm would be a detractor.

When I got my Legend I found a receipt for service work that had been performed. They charged the prior owner for servicing the transmission. The bill was for three quarts of trans fluid at $1.59 per quart. That is surely not Z-1 fluid. I used that as a bargaining chip in negotiating the sale price.

What are you having done?

Dave

·
Registered
994 Posts
Me thinks if you have the experience to do the work yourself or you have a qualified/reputable shop do the work it would be no problem. The only problem is dealer only parts. As long as all of the require service is done I have not experienced a problem at sale time. I remember working on a P car 928. There were very few aftermarket parts available for the car.

It appears though that Mktng has identified a shop that the work should not be taken to.

Dave

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd just like to point out that 90% of all technicians who DO work at an Acura franchised dealer, don't have any REAL experience. They are all young, fresh out of school, and don't know an Acura from a Pugeot. (Did I spell it right? I wouldn't know). Anyway, my point being that dealerships claim to have "better technicians", but in reality, the best technicians work at the small private shops that specialize in Honda/Acura. They are older, wiser, and the reason THEY don't work at the dealer is because they simply can make more money at a private shop, and they don't have to worry about getting some warranty job that isn't going to pay SH!#. (A technicain's pay usually is almost cut in half when it comes to a warranty job. Doesn't seem right does it? That's why when techs grow up to be smart ones, they dump the dealerships, and find a REAL job, that pays.)

·
Legends=Automysophobic
107 Posts
I'd just like to point out that 90% of all technicians who DO work at an Acura franchised dealer, don't have any REAL experience. They are all young, fresh out of school, and don't know an Acura from a Pugeot. (Did I spell it right? I wouldn't know). Anyway, my point being that dealerships claim to have "better technicians", but in reality, the best technicians work at the small private shops that specialize in Honda/Acura. They are older, wiser, and the reason THEY don't work at the dealer is because they simply can make more money at a private shop, and they don't have to worry about getting some warranty job that isn't going to pay SH!#. (A technicain's pay usually is almost cut in half when it comes to a warranty job. Doesn't seem right does it? That's why when techs grow up to be smart ones, they dump the dealerships, and find a REAL job, that pays.)
But your not ruling out all the technicians at dealers are you? Just the ones fresh from technical schools right. Becuase my auto tech teacher (I'm in high school) was a master technician for GM and Cadillac for over 40 years and is very knowledgeable. I am just saying that there are some technicians in dealerships that are dedicated to quality work.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
DrDave.

My mechanic is North African too Haitian to be exact
Best mechanic i know, i didnt mean to offend you.

ok fine ..
middle eastern mechanic with a tent in the back yard.

please dont hate me :p just getting my point through

·
Registered
994 Posts
Mktng:

Don't worry. Thank you very much for your apology. I believe you are sincere. It's okay.

Dave:

The 90K is the big service. That is probably the single most important service on these vehicles. I would not skimp on that service. Actually I would want better than dealer service. I would actually do oil analysis as well. I would also change the brake fluid and coolant as well as all other fluids. I would also encourage you to have the injectors cleaned. I can help you spend lots of $$, just give me a chance.

Dave

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
davecfp...I've been doing dual receipts (stapling Acura parts receipts to my Honda/Acura certified independent mechanic's labor receipts or just a quick write-up if I do the work myself). Given the mileage on my car 130k+ I'm no longer aiming at 'collector' value for the car, just a decent service log for my own benefit and perhaps anyone in the family that may inherit the car.

·
Registered
650 Posts
But your not ruling out all the technicians at dealers are you? Just the ones fresh from technical schools right. Becuase my auto tech teacher (I'm in high school) was a master technician for GM and Cadillac for over 40 years and is very knowledgeable. I am just saying that there are some technicians in dealerships that are dedicated to quality work.
There's always at least 2 techs at each dealer that have to stick around. A dealer can't consider itself a class 'A' dealer unless it has a full service department with at least 2 master techs, and they will give those guys a raise often enough to keep them them happy, so they stay. The sad thing, though, is the other techs who aren't happy. They are the ones doing all the challenging jobs. The so-called "master techs" are being "fed" gravy work, so they stay happy while the pee-ons are getting the driveablilty problems, electrical systems diagnosis, and all the warranty bullsheit.

Your teacher was patient enough to stick around GM long enough to become one of the elite sit-around-team. However, it seems all those years of making chicken poo for pay to get there, didn't turn out so well for his retirement plan, 'cuz he's still working. No disrespect intended here to anyone, and your teacher may just like to teach and doesn't need the money, but I've worked at the dealer, and I've worked for the private shops, and I didn't have the patience to work at the dealer while my savings were slowly being depleted because I was making chicken poo.

My overall point being, when you take your car to the dealer for a problem you are having with it, and it's going to take some diagnosis time, you have less than a 10% chance of that master tech working on your car. If you are there for routine maintenance (like a timing belt and a 90k service), then your chances go up dramatically, because this is the type of work that technicians like - they've done it before, doesn't take long, and it pays well. This job will be given to the gravy sucking "master-tech" and he will do nothing more that day but sit in his lawnchair in the corner of the shop and read his paperback novels. (I hope your reading, Randy!)

·
has left.
4,520 Posts
I would like to know what everyone thinks about this possible situation --

My son-in-law is the service manager at a local car dealership. (NOT Acura. More of a pre-owned car lot, but with a full service facility)

I can save a crap load of $$ if he does the work on my legend. I can just purchase the parts via AoA and have him install them.

My question is this -

To the Legend enthusiasts: When buying a Legend, how much would it matter if all the replaced parts were Acura OEM but not installed at an Acura dealer ? (I would have all receipts)

I don't think it would matter as much to the casual buyer as long as I had the receipts

thanks in advance
Given that the car is 13 years old at it's newest these days, the odds of finding a dealer nearby that has a mechanic that is familiar with the Legend still in the bays is slim to none. As a result, I'd say the answer to your question is that it depends on the dealer...

My family's Legends go to one of 2 places... our mechanic who has been working on our Legends for the last 10+ years OR our other mechanic on the opposite side of town who has done enough work on our cars that we can trust him AND raced Acuras for 10 years... the guy knows his sh*t.

My experience is that the Acura dealers might have marginally better instructions on how to do things... but they certainly cannot makeup for a lack of experience with the vehicle.

Now would you guys say the same thing for a BMW or Mercedes Benz, or is it the same for any car?
For a BMW or MB of the same age as your Legend? Absolutely.

The important part in all of this is QUALITY parts. In most cases for the Legend, the only QUALITY solution is OEM. A skilled mechanic is a skilled mechanic... odds are your shade tree mechanic up the street is just as good as your dealer these days and 1/2 the price.

It helps to have an indy mechanic that you really trust though: this is where my situation is unique and if I may say so, I've really lucked out.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Dave: I would say maintenance records and PM performed at recommended schedule would be what a potential buyer would seek. In respect to the 90k mile service, I would want to see an OEM waterpump as having been installed. The potential problem in having a non-Acura tech replace the timing belt is that it is very easy to install the belt and have it be off a tooth. Read the manual which is available on this Forum. As for parts, I prefer to buy OEM at discount. In the past, with other cars, I have experienced even the better aftermarket brands to sometimes sell a part which is ill designed and doesn't fit. To me it isn't worth the potential small savings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.