Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay here's the run down,

1988 Acura Legend L,116K miles.

For a couple of days i have been experiencing this problem. I would start my car and run to the store and come back out and my car won't start back up. I have to let it sit for a couple of minutes or hours then it would start again. Yesterday i was stuck on the Hwy for a while until someone help me push it out the road. Have anyone experienced this problem if so please help.
I had the distributor check and thats not the problem.
Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Try this: before you turn off the engine, let it sit at idle for 10-15 secs. I used to have similar problems, but this helped for some reason. If not, it may be the PGM-FI relay.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree on the main relay. If you've never changed it, try this before spending any other money. Very common cause of starting problems in the Legend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called a dealer this morning and he told me that a new main relay will cost me $520 for parts and labor. Is this what you guys paid to have yours replace, if so did it cure the problem
Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Before I became a DIYer, I paid my mechanic about $110 total - parts and labor to install. He typically gets his parts from NAPA but not sure about the relay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went to put some gas in the car turned it off to go in to the store and it won't restart. i stomp on the gas and it started. i'm really started to get piss off with this problem. I got an appointment with the dealer for tuesday. i hope this main relay will fix this problem. They are charging me $85 for diag. test. Plus if it needs repair
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
trouble starting

Do you think it is heat taking something out and when it cools it works again...? Here's why I ask...

One of my chips was doing this to my AC, and a friend had a fuel pump that did what you described until it finally failed for good. No one could figure out what was wrong with that car!!

My mechanic only ever found the AC problem by using a heat gun to simulate the engine heat....hmmm...got a blow dryer....??

·
Registered
583 Posts
could be quite a few things wrong, some of them simple DIY some not so simple.
In addition to the relay mentioned:

Check Fuel Filter (crap bilds up, then settles when flow is stopped)
it's cheap, change it anyway.

Heat on the starter solenoid will cause the same problem also. Had a VW that was bad with this. I could squirt water (to cool it) on the starter and it would fire right up and drive fine till I stopped it again. Was REALLY cheap back then, and kept limping along like that for a year:D .

Check around on $ for the relay and get a book and do it yourself. You'd be suprised how much a few tools and and a lot of cussing will save you....:D

good luck,

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
when my main relay was on it's way out, it was hard to get the car to start when it was hot inside the car. Also if it wouldn't start, I could turn the key from 'off' to 'on' several times, then try to start it again, after a few tries of that it would always start. I replaced the relay ($50 part + 30minutes or work) and have never had a problem starting since in the past 3 years.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
rdominique said:
I called a dealer this morning and he told me that a new main relay will cost me $520 for parts and labor. Is this what you guys paid to have yours replace, if so did it cure the problem
Thanks
Heck no. I think my mechanic quoted me $110 parts and labor. He also noted that he has never, in 12 years of fixing Acuras, come across a Legend with a faulty relay (he drives an 89). Since the problem cured itself (for now anyway), I haven't had it replaced, but that seems to be the the most popular solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The starter could be the problem aswell. Ive seen an 88 F150 do the same thing. When ever the engine was warm the thing wouldn't start. Ended up being the starter.

·
Registered
427 Posts
ah-ha so we all are experiencing the smae problem too. Well i've been getting that too but lately it has calm down it may be the starter that is causing this problem but i don't know for sure. how did you guys order the relay and what is it really called? "main relay", "starter relay" "pgr-fi relay" ???? thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts