1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
spotted this on ebay guy says should fit my 96 RL i have no clue about turbo kits what u think guys...few question please

Accord V6 / Acura V6 Turbo Kit / 3.0L V6 Single TURBO on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 21-Mar-08 18:00:31 GMT)

1. will it fit my car

2. is it the right kit

3. what he says is right ?

any help would be much appriciated

cheers folks
1.) Fits models Accord/Civic, no RL.
2.) Maybe for them, but not for you.
3.) Maybe for the Accord/Civic. but not for the RL. Dude doesn't even mention it fitting the RL at all in the ad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think you guys are right ..i better stay away i emailed him and he said SHOULD fit RL .....yea right "SHOULD"

also return policy says no refunds or exchange....

so tough buck

cheers fellas

·
i love the rear view
591 Posts
honestly edinberger this is an excellent choice for turboing the rl's (or even a 1st or 2nd gen for that matter) as it can be setup at various points on the vehicle as opposed to only under the hood (no this is not thomas knight's stuff)
Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
What really makes it a kit? Does the turbo REALLY care what engine it's on? Whatever happened to custom fabrication? ;)

I'm just messing. From a bolt-on perspective, this will not fit.

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
922 Posts
Everybody else has it right.

AFAIK there are NO as in absolutely ZERO bolt on turbo kits for the 3.5RL. The STS kit is workable but it is just plumbing and parts. It leaves you totally stranded as far as ignition and fuel management. So you'd need an experienced installer, a fat wallet, and a leaning toward masochism to buy any 'kit' that you find.

I'm getting under my RL today to see how much more sensible a 'Rear Mount' turbo could be as opposed to a more conventional setup.

Be back in a few hours.

GSM

·
Registered
60 Posts
just wondering, when wud you use that turbo if you had one? for what 3K? from 3 to 6? on a fully auto matic with a low redline that is useless I'd say. if it upshifts too fast youre stuck w/o boost or Vtec. then the M5, E55 or GS430 passes you easily

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
just wondering, when wud you use that turbo if you had one? for what 3K? from 3 to 6? on a fully auto matic with a low redline that is useless I'd say. if it upshifts too fast youre stuck w/o boost or Vtec. then the M5, E55 or GS430 passes you easily
??

·
Registered
60 Posts
thanks that helped I'm sure. I'm just wondering why you wud want a turbo on a completely nonperformance FWD car thats automatic with a 5.9 redline. and if you were to get it, will it spool at such a low RPM that if you were to accelerate from a roll how it wud kick in after an upshift. thats my question

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
thanks that helped I'm sure. I'm just wondering why you wud want a turbo on a completely nonperformance FWD car thats automatic with a 5.9 redline. and if you were to get it, will it spool at such a low RPM that if you were to accelerate from a roll how it wud kick in after an upshift. thats my question
OOOhhhh that's what you were trying to say/ask...Okay, your grammar threw me off...

Well check it out. Turbos are not just binary objects. they're not On boost Off boost. they have ranges. Most times you'll see 0 manifold pressure (that's relatively the same as "full throttle" on an NA engine) well before your foot hits the floor.

Also, turbos do NOT come in one size fits all packages. there's more than 100,000 different combinations of turbocharger housings compressor and wheel angles, from just one manufacturer, there's about 5 popular turbocharger manufacturers that i can think of right off the top of my melon (IHI, Holset, Garrett, Khunle Kopps & Kosch, etc.) . You can tailor the turbocharger to suit what ever your needs are.

Turbocharging is the most efficient way to make power across your entire powerband.

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes, I know what youre talking about. but if you were to find a kit to fit the RL, how effective/useful wud it be?

wud a .48 trim spool low enuf for an upshift at less than 6K for the next gear to be running at full PSI, with little lag?

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
well first up, there's not a kit for the RL so anything done will be custom. When doing a custom setup, you need to figure out what you want your car to do. Do you want to run twin or single turbo. Then you need to figure what power output you're looking for. Once you figure out the basics, you can then figure out the advance things like engine flow and desired output to figure out which combination to use to make the power where you want it to be.

Turbo choices are far more complex than "this number looks right" especially when designing the system from scratch...

again, the sizing isn't cut and dried so i can't tell you that a .48 sized turbine housing will be the best choice because it depends on how far down stream the turbo is how many turbos you're using, what boost you intend to run it at, exhaust pipe sizing.

If you're creating a twin turbo system .48 probably would be a good bet, other than that, i wouldn't bet on it unless you're looking to have instant boost and nothing past 4800rpm (again this is depending on your compressor wheel as some compressors can handle the flow demands). you could very well have power well into 6000rpm if the car could rev that high...

It's not cut and dried.

EDIT:

dude, just to let you know, None of the RL's before the 2005 G4 have VTEC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts