Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am trying to start a speed shop that specializes on acura legends, so to get the ball rolling I am working with 5 companies that will supply all the various parts. I know what you guys are thinking, no space under the rear cylinder bank, well thats where I will custom fabricate new manifolds. If this setup works it will make upwards of 400 hp or more. I need to know if there is a market for this install, is there? Let me know, once I start I'll have pics every week of the build.

Johnny's Legend Speed Shop

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st for now, I don't have a 2nd gen to do this to. What are you going to do in your shop, maybe we can share info.

· Registered
9,369 Posts
john bigonion said:
Ok guys, I am trying to start a speed shop that specializes on acura legends, so to get the ball rolling I am working with 5 companies that will supply all the various parts. I know what you guys are thinking, no space under the rear cylinder bank, well thats where I will custom fabricate new manifolds. If this setup works it will make upwards of 400 hp or more. I need to know if there is a market for this install, is there? Let me know, once I start I'll have pics every week of the build.

Are you going to use the design of the OEM twin turbo 2.7?
Later!
Lee

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe I have ever seen or heard of a twin turbo legend, single turbo 2.0 yes, twin 2.7, not ever. If such a monster has been built, then by who, when and where.

· Registered
134 Posts
john bigonion said:

If you were going twin turbo for the Legend it would have to be 2 very small turbos. The motor doesn't need 2. It is only 2.7 Liters. But the legend is a hard car to turbo because of the limited space under the hood. take a look at the thread I started and see what I mean.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73740

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats why I'm going for 2 turbos, if I can get them small enough, we will have to line up and see whats what! I know just how limited space is in the engine compartment, I have rebuilt every thing on these cars for years, I know tight space managment. Just remember, where there's a will, there's a way.

· Registered
9,369 Posts
john bigonion said:
Thats why I'm going for 2 turbos, if I can get them small enough, we will have to line up and see whats what! I know just how limited space is in the engine compartment, I have rebuilt every thing on these cars for years, I know tight space managment. Just remember, where there's a will, there's a way.

Yep, just follow me this spring when my G1 gets out of the shop.
Later!
Lee

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unless your g1 is going to put out 400 or more ponies, you will be following, or trying to keep up with me.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very good grass hopper, first you will need forged pistons, the rods might be able to handle the power. Second is fuel, lots of it and with stock compression you will need at least 25 lbs of boost or more. Third, when you squeeze that much hp from an open deck block like these you will get what they call cylinder walk, the sleeves will vibrate under hi loads causing head gasket leaks, speaking of head gaskets you will also need a very good set of those, either multi layer steel or copper with o-rings. Fourth is the clutch, good luck finding a clutch that can handle that much power, the trans will scream ever so slightly right before it goes boom if the axles don't shatter first. There are other things that I haven't covered, like the map sensor vacuum check valve or the fuel pressure regulator. How about the open differentail, or the suspension, piggyback ecu?. To get 500 hp you will need alot of money or the talent to track down all the needs and put together a solid, well built drive train. Good luck!

· Registered
9,369 Posts
john bigonion said:
Very good grass hopper, first you will need forged pistons, the rods might be able to handle the power. Second is fuel, lots of it and with stock compression you will need at least 25 lbs of boost or more. Third, when you squeeze that much hp from an open deck block like these you will get what they call cylinder walk, the sleeves will vibrate under hi loads causing head gasket leaks, speaking of head gaskets you will also need a very good set of those, either multi layer steel or copper with o-rings. Fourth is the clutch, good luck finding a clutch that can handle that much power, the trans will scream ever so slightly right before it goes boom if the axles don't shatter first. There are other things that I haven't covered, like the map sensor vacuum check valve or the fuel pressure regulator. How about the open differentail, or the suspension, piggyback ecu?. To get 500 hp you will need alot of money or the talent to track down all the needs and put together a solid, well built drive train. Good luck!
Check the previous post. The G1 drive train will be gone from my car in about 4 weeks.
Later!
Lee

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and what pray tell is going in it's place? not a g2 drive train.

· Registered
136 Posts
john bigonion

you know, i like the way you think. Its all about how smart/rich you are, or how talented and how good you are with tools. With that in mind, you can do anything. Why you would be wanting 500hp at the front wheels beats me. That is too much hp for me to want in a daily driver. My opinion is if it cant be drivin daily, no reason to own it. I just want a stock JDM turbo 2.7 engine to rebuild. Im wanting 300hp to 350hp. nothing more. I want the most JDM stuff I can find. If i have more, Ill kill meself. Lol. Just like what Ive done with my 89 240sx w/ the s13 front clip. I got the sr20det with a litle bit of aftermarket parts, just enough to keep me at 350hp at the rear wheels and the stuff to back it up. i.e. 5lug conversion, 300zx brakes, nissian skyline calipers, 12 inch slotted rotors and so on. So, why 500hp on an legend?

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why 500 hp? Well alot of people tell me it's impossible, and I think it's very possible. I am also going thru a mid life crisis(lol) and women are just too much trouble, I just went thru a bitter divorce and this is my new hobby. I have worked on these cars since they first came out and honda did there homework on these cars. The engine internals are a work of art, check out the thread Why I like Legends. So far alot of the mods I've done to this car are 1 of a kind, like the custom swaybars, I bent them myself with a torch and a press. I cross drill my own rotors and do ALL my own work. I don't know how to do body work though, but give me a c27a or a tranny(auto or manual) and I can make art, or rebuild it. Honda started all these up scale names when the named the legend and integra Acura, then toyota and nissan followed. As for JDM turbo, it's actually only a 2.0 and from what I've read it was only good for 190 hp, really not worth the effort. And lastly, I'm not rich, I pay $1,000 a month in child support and have a house payment, so if this project works, it will be less than 5 grand.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.