Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. . . well, not entirely but I've been out of circulation for a bit. Enjoying the NSX too much. :) My wife and I are thinking about getting another Legend, but this time a 94/95 Legend GS.

My question is this: what is the difference between the Type II and Type I engine? Is it just the intake manifold or does it include a different cam and such?

I totally don't remember and my search efforts were fruitless.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I did some more researching and it looks like it's primarily the intake manifold. And maybe the camshaft, maybe the springs, and valves.

I was hoping I could find a crashed GS and swap the components into my Legend LS Coupe. That still may work but it may be more complicated than I realize.

Still searching though. . .

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
The difference is the intake manifold is different. The cams have taller lobes, the spring rates are different, and the intake valves differ.

You can swap heads and intake to make a Type II engine, you will also need to cover the opening in the exuast manfiold that the intake dumped air into that no longer exists on the Type II Intake. A Type II engine will run on a Type I ECU as well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cost?

About how much would the type II top end cost if I could find one in good condition at a junkyard? This seems like it might be a lot easier than doing the whole enging swap.

And when you changed the head could you use a thinner head gasket (is there such a beast) to increase compression? How much power increase if any could you get from doing this?

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
I called about 10 salvage yards in northern NJ and came up with only one place. They wanted $400 for the heads, $150 for the intake manifold and $100 deposit.

The kit from the dealer for the gaskets which include headgaskets, intake manifold gaskets and others necessary to do the job I believe runs around $300.

You can not put a thinner gasket on for a number of reasons. First it's not made for our cars, you can probably get a custom one made, we have interference engines so you run the risk of valves hitting. The c32a design is poor in the block in which the way the cylinders were designed causing premature headgasket failure in thicker headgaskets. A thinner one will surely fail. The best way to increase compression is to have custom pistons made. I wouldn't recommend running more than 10.5:1 on 93 octane gas for street use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.