Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remember the post or persons that have been successful.....need new engine and figured I'd go to a Type II. I believe DV8 was one, but there was also another member too :confused: I just want as much info as possible, pro's and con's...... Please HELP!!! Thanks y'all!!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
LEGENDZ_4 _LIFE also did it into a 91 sedan (I think). I was about to do it into my 91 sedan as well, but I figured it would be too much hassle. Having to order the engine in, and being without a car, and other stuff. It will work though. I think all you need to do is put the type 2 ECU in (not even necessary) and its all the same. Dont quote me on that though....Good Luck:)

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
LEGENDZ_4 _LIFE also did it into a 91 sedan (I think). I was about to do it into my 91 sedan as well, but I figured it would be too much hassle. Having to order the engine in, and being without a car, and other stuff. It will work though. I think all you need to do is put the type 2 ECU in (not even necessary) and its all the same. Dont quote me on that though....Good Luck:)
that would be me!!

Awesome power... I do suggest swapping to the Type II ECU ASAP...the shift points are different, but most noticeable over 80mph. Other than that AWESOME POWER!!!

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
TYPE II SWAP INFO

Things that are required for a Type II swap:
Type II ECU
Type II Motor
Motor Mounts
All Wiring Harnesses
Gauges
Timing Belt
H2o pump
All Fluids/Rear Seal
**Tranny Mounts are recommended to be replaced**
I replaced my engine and transmission together, and used a low mileage combination....
Be sure to replace all fluids``

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Legendz......so all in all the amount of the engine and labor for the swap was about 4g's? Any other components needing replacement to accompany the new engine? Perks? Do's & don'ts?

Congrats to you on your successful swap!

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
91goldLS said:
Hey Legendz......so all in all the amount of the engine and labor for the swap was about 4g's? Any other components needing replacement to accompany the new engine? Perks? Do's & don'ts?

Congrats to you on your successful swap!
thanks guy!
* Do research where you get your motor from (carfax/low mileage if poss)

* Do replace all parts while its out (i.e timimg belt, water pump, seals, oil, maybe even spark plugs)

* Do take this time to inspect motor mounts and clean up engine bay. It would also be wise to inspect coolant hoses and replace as necessary. Also inspect the radiator to see if its at the end of its life cycle.

* Now its time to do some soul searching. How many miles are on this tranny (in the car)? Remember, your car is only as strong as its weakest link. If you put a heavy duty Type II motor in your car that has 39k on the ticker, but your original tranny has 250k on it.......you *might* want to invest in another unit. That Type II will be trying to puit more HP and TQ to the flywheel, and *might* just overdo it....which brings me to the next one....

* Do service, swap sell or try your best to obtain a low mileage G2 tranny....preferably from the same donor car.

*Then DO replace the transmission mounts. You can thank me later.

* Do replace the ECU with one from a Type II vehicle...the shift points are different under WOT and at higher speeds....you need to keep in mind the fuel delivery systems are larger than the Type I, so the only way to utilize them is with a Type II ECU...your Type I will not know to send more fuel at WOT, or to downshift and pull to a certain RPM other than what its been taught to do before.
You can use it short term, but essentially defeating the purpose of swapping to a Type II.

Hope this helps :)

* Finally, DO go out an enjoy your car...

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Type II ECU---I dont think so

FRom My knowledge, since doing the swap myself. I havent seen any differences between the TYPE II ECU and the TYPE I When Chipped with the bayou stage two chip. if you take a stock type II ECU from a GS auto sedan and a stock type I ECU from a ls auto sedan there are some differences-mostly in fuel/ air and timming, but when adding the chip which is universal fit for both sedans ecu's then the increased fuel/air and timming are written the same.
same goes for the coupe.

Im almost positive there arent tranny differences between the ls sedans and the gs ones along with the ls coupes and type II coupes. at least thats not what the tech scrolls at the legend temple say.

Dont get me wrong the coupes are all different than the sedans.
they each have their own category. the real question is which ECU is better to have in the car, if you own a sedan is the coupe ECU a better choice because the coupe is suppoed to be faster?

I'll start to investigate.

~Hybrid

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Type II ECU---I dont think so

Dv8 said:
the real question is which ECU is better to have in the car, if you own a sedan is the coupe ECU a better choice because the coupe is suppoed to be faster?

I'll start to investigate.

~Hybrid
hmmmmmmmmmmm.....Let me know what you find out.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
starting to investigate has found that, the coupe has more aggressive gearing programed within the ecu STOCK over the sedan.
This probably comes to no surprize to anyone, WHAT i did find out that got me, AND I DO STAND CORRECTED, is that the stage II Chip for the TYPE II VS the TYPE I are different, hence meaing that the possability of extra gain---for me anyway and nybody else that does a swap is a true potential.

So leon is getting full benefit from his type 2 engine because he has the type 2 ECU. When he get it chipped which i highly recommend for any Legend, he should feel quite a notable difference.

Type Year/Model 1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear

4-speed Auto 1991-1995 Sedan 2.476 1.451 0.973 0.630 4.370
4-speed Auto 1991-1995 Coupe 2.458 1.454 0.948 0.630 4.787

I pulled this from the temple and am wondering if it reflects the type two gearing for coupes and sedans or if it is only type one. it kinda wouldnt make sence to me if it isnt for both because it lists below that 91-95 coupes---coupes in 93-95 were all type II's, but then again wouldnt the 230hp engines between the coupes and sedans and there old engines have more aggressive gearing?

ALSO remeber that both coupes and sedans are very close in weight, and have the identical engine and tranny vs same year. it must come down to the ECU and how its programed. All the coupes ive ever seen have always been faster than the sedans.

next point, i dynoed my car with the type 2 engine in and a 91 chipped ecu i pulled 185 WHP, then i idmediatly swaped out the chipped ecu for a stock 94 type 2 coupe ecu and i dropped to 178WHP and from a 170 lb ft to 162lbft. so a gain of 7 & 7 with the chip, will the type two chip be more dramatic? i hope so but am skeptical.

semi conclustion is:
that the stock coupe has a more agressive gearing over the stock sedan ecu of any year, the type two ECU is in fact different than the Type one with fuel/air and timming, the bayou chip for the type one is in fact different than the type 2.

what we still dont know is:

will the better gearing in the coupes ecu enhance the sedans to be faster? do the type 2 autos have different gearing over the type ones both sedans and coupes? Have i had lots of bottled up HP in my car because im still running a chipped type one ecu with a type 2 engine???????:)

ANy thoughts or ideas.

~Hybrid

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
"what we still dont know is:

will the better gearing in the coupes ecu enhance the sedans to be faster? do the type 2 autos have different gearing over the type ones both sedans and coupes? Have i had lots of bottled up HP in my car because im still running a chipped type one ecu with a type 2 engine???????"

DV8, I think you are absolutely right. I can tell a serious difference, but then with the Type I ECU you can tell it is not using all of the potential fuel dist as it can. Why? Because it doesn't know its there. So, if you get a Type II ECU, you will probably love that this came up......

You are still the man, Chris

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
That's interesting that a chipped Type I is diff from a chipped Type II. I would have thought that they would be the same. How did you find this info Dv8?

- ek

·
Registered
96 Posts
swapping a type 1 to a type 2........why would you need the type 2 motor mounts and tranny mounts?!??!? its the same block......and you're putting it in the same engine bay.......?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
They mention that since you should replace that stuff when the motor is out. It just makes sense.....

I thought the Auto in a Type I sedan is geared differently from the GS and coupe auto's..... My friend's 94 coupe tachs out about 500 rpm's more than my car at any given speed. I thought the gearing was different........

Which brings me to this, I have a JDM motor, and when the time to put it in comes, I want a auto from a type II. And, I now know I need the Type II ecu to make best use of the auto's different gearing. And, the Type II ecu is programmed to rev out a bit higher and drive injectors of possibly a different size, so I guess I will need to "overrev" my JDM, which I don't mind doing:D And it may be in the interest of power to install injectors from a Type II......if there is any difference between Type II and JDM injectors....hmm, combining a high rev tranny, fuel system and ECU with a torquey JDM motor, I will definitely need dyno time and spare parts.....this may be a good "hybrid" as long as the JDM's breathing does not fall on it's face over 6200rpm.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
ECU #'s???

Hi all,
I'm in the process of upgrading from the Type I to Type II. I've been looking for a Type II ECU, but every junkyard I call wants the numbers off the ECU. If I give them my old ECU #, they're just going to give me a replacement ECU :nutkick: ...sooOoo, my question is this: Does anyone have an ECU # off a Type II engine that I can use as a reference, so I can get my hands on a Type II ECU??? ANy info or help is greatly appreciated!!! :woot: :woot:

·
¿HöNdÄ LëGëNd¿
899 Posts
I did a Type II swap and all i did was get my ECU chipped by Telion, and it works just fine. Maybe you should try that.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
^ That is an excellent idea lol, whether you go Type I or Type II. One key identifier is to tell them any ECU that begins with a PX9 is what you need, and from there you will be fine. If you need anything else let me know I would be happy help. Personally I think if you have a Type I tranny you would be good to go with the Type I ECU and upgrade the maps to Type II which is something I can accomodate check out the link in my sig for more info on this.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have question for you Telion since you know a lot about Ecu please tell me if its ok to install auto ECU type II in the car whit type I motor and manual trany? I have 92 l model sedan 5 speed. I installed GS interior, wiring, steering wheel, TCS and type II ECU automatic .by changing couple wires I got ecu to work whit my manual trany. Thanks and sorry for my bad writing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts