Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been reading ALL kinds of stuff and doing a tonne of research. I have a '97 3.2 TL, head gasket problem with the coolant being lost, etc.. I have bought a '95 GS TYPE II motor with 96000 kms and am going to swap my TL's motor with this one. Anyone here know if the TL block is EXACTLY the same as the Legend type II? Am I going to have any problems or will this just plug and play? Also, while the Type II engine needs the type II ECU to get all the extra HP, will it RUN with the TL (or Type I) ecu, or will I have to get that right away as well? Please help, thanks!

G

·
Uhm.... if I'm not mistaken, the TL engine is set side to side where the legend engine is set front to back in the engine compartment?

and no it would not just be a plug and play swap...

·
Premium Member
9,314 Posts
the 96-98 TLs all had the Legend's Type I C32 motor, so the Type II will fit...the 99-03 TLs used the J32...completely different engine, and thats the one that was cocked sideways. And the members who did the Type I - Type II swap said that they ran on their stock Type I ECU just fine, but there was a slightly noticible difference when they finally got around to putting in the Type II ECU.

do a search here, most of the info you need has been asked already more than once

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, I wasn't too worried, glad to hear that the TL (Type I) ECU will work with the type II motor too, saves me $250 for right now.... Just gonna drive the current one until it dies or I get everything ready slowly on the new motor, if I can come up with another 6-700 I will port the heads and intake before I put it in the car. I knew it would fit, I was just concerned about the little things like moved fittings, hoses, etc. I think I'll put in a new rad too as mine has a small leak, don't want this new motor to have ANY coolant problems..... Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
524 Posts
tnelson said:
Yes, it will swap right in. There is actually a guy who put the type II heads on a TL, and it worked great. The TL went to transverse mounted(j block) in 99, but up until then, the Type I, II and TL all swap.
Yep. That was me.

Oh and hey Cornflake, nice to see you here!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ran my original ECU when I did my Type II motor swap. It worked fine, no adverse affects. However, when I got around to buy the Type II ECU, I noticed a higher redline and more power. Definately a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.