Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off I got a 95 legend..my second one first one was a 92...love the cars but the one i have now has 205K on it and I wanna swap for a type II...i called a few Japanese Engine places and I can get one shipped to me for a little over 1000 bucks...but I need to know anything else i need for the swap...thanks

Tyler

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,834 Posts
I'm a Type II fan as well...but just fyi, the big rage these days is to swap a 3.5RL engine into your Legend! higher TQ, little less HP out the gates and it's a pretty "easy" swap

I believe it's the 96-99 RL engines that work...but do a search as a lot of folks on here have swapped to the 3.5

the big bonus is that it's a lot easier to find 3.5's here in the states (and obviously cheaper due to shipping)

·
NBP...
4,267 Posts
I'm a Type II fan as well...but just fyi, the big rage these days is to swap a 3.5RL engine into your Legend! higher TQ, little less HP out the gates and it's a pretty "easy" swap

I believe it's the 96-99 RL engines that work...but please do a search as a lot of folks on here have swapped to the 3.5

the big bonus is that it's a lot easier to find 3.5's here in the states (and obviously cheaper due to shipping)
The engines fit from 1996-2004 RLs

·
difficult to kill
722 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
need help..engine swap advice

Yo whats good all! I've been through hell and back with the my acura legend. I have a 1992 acura legend LS sedan pearl white and i'm on my third motor.(long story,,i'll explain lata..lol)

But basically, I brought the car in Nov., and found out that the engine was no good so I trusted a friends dad of mine that works on cars to find and install for me the regular version of the c32a engine.. and he did. After driving that car for less than 3 weeks i began to have over heating problems. I was loosing coolent with no signs of external leaks anywhere and I was idling very high. Now I did have my fans "Johnny wired"..but thought that would be betta cause the fans were always on. Anyway I got a hydro-carbons test done on the car and it tested positive for hydro-carbons in the cooling system,, it was then diagnosed that the headgasket was bad.

I then sought help form any and every body who claimed to be an "acura expert"..lol and found a mechanic near my home that sounded like he knew what he was talking about and wanted to help me. After I asked him about jdm motors swaps and all kinds of crap, he said that he would only install a late 1993-1995 type II motor in the car because they don't have the same overheating issues as the early 91-early 93's do. He said that due to the amount of water pipes the type I had, it caused alot of air pockets to develope, which then screwed up the pressure in the system which would or could cause overheating(or somethinglike dat,,i don't remember exactly..lol). Thus Acura correcting the problem with the type II motor. He also said he'll do the swap for 1500. I paid shillings for the car but through all the bs i've goon through I'm almost over my limit. Anyway due to circumstances and my personal situation I have opted to go with this guy.. People.. is he right?? Is he bs'ing me??Tell me what you think??

·
One Meeelion HP
2,956 Posts
Yo whats good all! I've been through hell and back with the my acura legend. I have a 1992 acura legend LS sedan pearl white and i'm on my third motor.(long story,,i'll explain lata..lol)

But basically, I brought the car in Nov., and found out that the engine was no good so I trusted a friends dad of mine that works on cars to find and install for me the regular version of the c32a engine.. and he did. After driving that car for less than 3 weeks i began to have over heating problems. I was loosing coolent with no signs of external leaks anywhere and I was idling very high. Now I did have my fans "Johnny wired"..but thought that would be betta cause the fans were always on. Anyway I got a hydro-carbons test done on the car and it tested positive for hydro-carbons in the cooling system,, it was then diagnosed that the headgasket was bad.

I then sought help form any and every body who claimed to be an "acura expert"..lol and found a mechanic near my home that sounded like he knew what he was talking about and wanted to help me. After I asked him about jdm motors swaps and all kinds of crap, he said that he would only install a late 1993-1995 type II motor in the car because they don't have the same overheating issues as the early 91-early 93's do. He said that due to the amount of water pipes the type I had, it caused alot of air pockets to develope, which then screwed up the pressure in the system which would or could cause overheating(or somethinglike dat,,i don't remember exactly..lol). Thus Acura correcting the problem with the type II motor. He also said he'll do the swap for 1500. I paid shillings for the car but through all the bs i've goon through I'm almost over my limit. Anyway due to circumstances and my personal situation I have opted to go with this guy.. People.. is he right?? Is he bs'ing me??Tell me what you think??
The type II is just as bad as the type I for bad head gaskets. You're stupid if you don't do the headgaskets on the new motor while its out of the car.

-Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.