Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, as I've just purchased my first legend.
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering what the physical differences are between the type1 and type2 engines? I know the power level diffs, but how was it accomplished, and what is required to swap in a type 2 in place of a tired type 1?
Thanks alot,
Jim

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey there, welcome home:p I'm not quite sure what the physical differences are between the two engines, but there are several guys that have "busted a hybrid" on the boards, so I'm sure they'll be replying shortly.

-GR

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
From what I understand is its just a few tweaks to the computer. a freer flowing intake manifold and exhuast manifold. it is cool to the [TYPE II] emblem on the engine ask christian (Dv8) what is the real differences are because hes done the swap and understands the differences. i have no experience with the TYPE II

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
From what I understand is its just a few tweaks to the computer. a freer flowing intake manifold and exhuast manifold. it is cool to the [TYPE II] emblem on the engine ask christian (Dv8) what is the real differences are because hes done the swap and understands the differences. i have no experience with the TYPE II
I'll take a peek at this tomorrow night if Dv8 goes to the Sacramento Raceway. I'm sure he's got a lot more under the hood :D .

BTW Bang&Olfsen... GO TERPS!!!

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
I've driven 9 Type I Legends and 6 Type II Legends, and there is a noticable difference. Most people do the swap when their Type I either blows up or is getting old and worn. But that's up to you, I've located a lot of Type II engines for around $1000 and the swap would be another $500 if I were to do it. Expect to pay around $2000 at a typical shop.

Type I 200hp
Type II 230hp

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, my type 1 has 190k on it, and appears that it may have a slightly blown head gasket. I can do all the work myself, but I find that usually when I crack open a high mile engine, one thing ends up leading to another...I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Anyway, that's the reason for the question. It might be more practical to swap in a lower mile engine in it, and if I'm going to do that, then why not a type 2?
Thanks again for the replies, and if anybody can shed more light on this, please help.
Thanks,
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts