Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw my first 05 RL on the street today, and I have to say it was a big yawn. If you put an Accord next to an RL they look very much alike (boring). There are lots of exciting new models emerging (MB CLS 500). This car is surprisingly dull in styling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Your opinion counts. And I've heard the same refrain from a number of people on this, and other sites. But my experience says otherwise.

Here in D.C., I get stopped almost daily by some admirer voicing oohs and ahhs over my new RL. Most ask questions about the cars features, love the way the car looks, and many want to look inside. Several seemed to know it was an RL by sight. None confused the car with any Honda product. (But then, D.C. is a very car savvy town.) The most frightening of all these experiences, though, was the owner of an Infiniti FX45 who crossed lanes in the middle of Dupont Circle (here in D.C.) to shout out "wild car, I'm gonna get my wife one!". He scared the hell out of me (and nearly ran me onto the curb).

Sorry you don't share the same view. Happy holidays!
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
I guess the basic silhouette is very similar to the Accord, but man when you see the RL up close it definately IMHO doesnt look anything like an Accord. Or, you could say it looks like a larger, wider, more aggressive Accord. Maybe a fair statement could be the RL looks like an Accord on steroids but not overly done. I personally like understated styled cars. That is probably why I don't like any of the new BMWs or overly edgy styled cars. I think the RL is perfect for guys like me. One thing I feel is a must for me though is the optional rear trunk lip. When I went to the local dealer invitational, they had all different optioned out RLs for comparison. The trunk lip is a must, and a dark color to me looked better. Surprisingly for me, the 17" rims actually looked okay (Cosmetic size wise) in person. 19 or 20s otherwise would be my aftermarket choice. They had shots of the RL next to the BMW 530 from all angles and IMHO the RL really made the 530 look like crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I like the looks of the car and I have yet to see someone (in person) say the RL doesnt look nice...and I am talking people at the dealer, family members, etc.

I also like under-stated cars and think the new BMW design is very very ugly.

My RL that I'm picking up next week is opulment blue pearl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Acknowledge said:
I saw my first 05 RL on the street today, and I have to say it was a big yawn. If you put an Accord next to an RL they look very much alike (boring). There are lots of exciting new models emerging (MB CLS 500). This car is surprisingly dull in styling.
A clear indication that the author has less than a firm grip on aesthetic reality! Even the most casual observer, upon viewing the RL in person, would conclude that , based on exterior fit and finish, the car exudes oodles of elegance and style... Up close and personal - the car cannot be ignored! I've received accolades and numerous compliments on the sophisticated appearance of my Opulent Blue Pearl RL...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Went to the dealership today and saw my blue RL with tint. WOW! First, IMO the RL in opulent blue pearl looks very snazzy. With the windows tinted dark it just looks that much better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,657 Posts
This always happens. When the Legend came out '91-95. There were not many cars that were of the same styling yet they labeled it "Bland", "Normal"....Then car styling starting to change in the mid 90s. All of a Sudden BMWs 94-97 starting to resemble G2 legends more.....And the G2 Styling STILL holds up well through the years... the cars are 10-14 years old now and look very good still.

It's happening again, car styling is changing, Acura took a less aggressive/edgy design, and took a path of well defined lines, it's obviously different than an accord, it looks different, maybe the general shape is the same.

But I bet you this car, 5 years from now, is going to LOOK VERY SHARP even with the new cars that are released at that time...and some of the "edgier designs" of today are going to look outdated fast.
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
Rob L said:
I like the looks of the car and I have yet to see someone (in person) say the RL doesnt look nice...and I am talking people at the dealer, family members, etc.
Of course not. The dealer is trying to get your money. And you can't trust family to give you an honest opinion about something you've already bought. I bet they tell you your hair piece looks totally natural too. :D (little joke)

The RL has some really great features and practical styling. But for the love of God, I just described an Accord with the same sentence. The new RL doesn't look good at all. I went to the Seattle auto show recently and saw a crowd of people in the Acura section. At first glance I thought they were all standing around an Accord. Looking closer I realized it was the new RL. I turned and walked away. The look of it was disgusting. I liked it better as a big luxobarge. Luxury cars should be big. Park it next to an S500 or 750iL. Remember that song from Sesame street (which one of these things just doesn't belong here) where they showed a few items on the screen and you had to guess which one didn't belong? It's that easy to figure this one out.

I also saw the new Phantom. I nearly crapped my pants when I came around the corner and saw that front-end. That's the reaction you get with a true luxury car that exudes presence, elegence, and power. A flagship should have those qualities. RL has none.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Bread said:
Of course not. The dealer is trying to get your money. And you can't trust family to give you an honest opinion about something you've already bought. I bet they tell you your hair piece looks totally natural too. :D (little joke)
Interesting. I didnt know the dealer controls CUSTOMERS walking onto the dealership and saying how nice the car looks. I guess the dealer does that because the dealer thinks I am some mindless moron who actually cares what other people think. It is their whole elaborate plan to make buyers who like the look of the car (ie me) be certain of their opinion because again, I'm a 26 year old mindless monkey who I guess can't decide what I like/don't like unless someone tells me.

Also, naturally my family/friends cant give an honest opinion since they all commented on the car way BEFORE I even got the car (ie before I was even thinking of really getting it) and they too are mindless morons and think I would actually care if they like or didnt like the look of the car.

I guess you are right though. NOBODY can like the look of the car since you don't. :rolleyes: Everyone here who likes it is flat out wrong because YOU think it looks disgusting. Gotcha. Same goes for allllll the other people out there that think it looks nice. You know, the car mag people, the people at auto shows, the people who have apparently stopped RL owners (see above) to tell them it looks nice. All wrong because some guy on an internet forum thinks it looks bad and he is the decision maker of the 6.4 billion people on the planet

Oh and I think the Phantom is FUGLY as does EVERYONE I know (including my father who is a huge rolls royce fan) who has seen the car...but I guess they say that because I don't own it, right? Hell even at the auto show I went to in February people there were commenting on how ugly it is. Guess they are wrong as well!

BTW if you are crapping your pants when seeing a car I think you need to get your mommy to potty train you so you can sing "I'm a big kid now." :D (little joke)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Bread, you're entitled to your opinion. It counts for you and we enjoy hearing everyone's viewpoint. But in the end, it's just that. YOUR VIEWPOINT.

Dozens of strangers who've stopped me in traffic or getting out of my car disagree. And, as a thrilled purchaser, I certainly disagree. The RL isn't just Car & Driver's best luxury car (beating out a host of other vehicles from Europe and Japan), it's already the best luxury car for thousands of buyers, with sales approaching more than 3,000 since its introduction in October.

I have to hand it to Rob L for telling it like it is. Way to go!
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
Rob L said:
Interesting. I didnt know the dealer controls CUSTOMERS walking onto the dealership and saying how nice the car looks. I guess the dealer does that because the dealer thinks I am some mindless moron who actually cares what other people think. It is their whole elaborate plan to make buyers who like the look of the car (ie me) be certain of their opinion because again, I'm a 26 year old mindless monkey who I guess can't decide what I like/don't like unless someone tells me.

Also, naturally my family/friends cant give an honest opinion since they all commented on the car way BEFORE I even got the car (ie before I was even thinking of really getting it) and they too are mindless morons and think I would actually care if they like or didnt like the look of the car.

I guess you are right though. NOBODY can like the look of the car since you don't. :rolleyes: Everyone here who likes it is flat out wrong because YOU think it looks disgusting. Gotcha. Same goes for allllll the other people out there that think it looks nice. You know, the car mag people, the people at auto shows, the people who have apparently stopped RL owners (see above) to tell them it looks nice. All wrong because some guy on an internet forum thinks it looks bad and he is the decision maker of the 6.4 billion people on the planet

Oh and I think the Phantom is FUGLY as does EVERYONE I know (including my father who is a huge rolls royce fan) who has seen the car...but I guess they say that because I don't own it, right? Hell even at the auto show I went to in February people there were commenting on how ugly it is. Guess they are wrong as well!

BTW if you are crapping your pants when seeing a car I think you need to get your mommy to potty train you so you can sing "I'm a big kid now." :D (little joke)
DCRL said:
Bread, you're entitled to your opinion. It counts for you and we enjoy hearing everyone's viewpoint. But in the end, it's just that. YOUR VIEWPOINT.
:giggle: Uhhh, no sh*t . I think it's pretty obvious that if I make a comment that it's MY viewpoint :rolleyes: Grow up guys. I'm not criticizing you personally, so try to be an adult and not criticize me personally. Like you said, it's just an internet forum in a thread discussing a car. It doesn't mean anything. Relax. :giggle:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
well guys, let's put things in perspective

If I had to pick over a 2005 RL vs the 1005 TL, I would take the TL and pocket the extra cash I saved. The TL styling is original and very nice.

the new RL on the other hand is not so impressive, and since it is competing directly with the lexus GS line. I'll take the dated GS stylings over the new RL any day.

they really messed up by taking the RL to the sportier side, they should have kept it in the ultra luxury category to go up against the lexus LS.
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
91LegendCoupe said:
I'll take the dated GS stylings over the new RL any day.
There's a GS in Seattle w/20" rims, NAV, HID, bodykit, dual exaust, and custom stereo for $16,000. Freakin sweet. I should have bought three of those instead of my 750iL. :eek2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
In addition to beauty being in the eye of the beholder, when you are seated in your car you don't see the outside. From a driving experience the RL is awesome. The ride, the smooth power, and the high-tech features were superior to anything else I test drove (TSX,TL, 530i, E500AWD, A4AWD, G35). Sure, there are some sexier cars out there, but none that quite hit the looks-performance-luxury-price point like the RL did for me. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Antique TL?

91LegendCoupe said:
well guys, let's put things in perspective

If I had to pick over a 2005 RL vs the 1005 TL, I would take the TL and pocket the extra cash I saved. The TL styling is original and very nice.
I didn't know they had TL's in the year 1005! :confused: :giggle:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
1Violinist said:
I didn't know they had TL's in the year 1005! :confused: :giggle:
Thats obviouslly a typo........
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
91LegendCoupe said:
well guys, let's put things in perspective

If I had to pick over a 2005 RL vs the 1005 TL, I would take the TL and pocket the extra cash I saved. The TL styling is original and very nice.

the new RL on the other hand is not so impressive, and since it is competing directly with the lexus GS line. I'll take the dated GS stylings over the new RL any day.

they really messed up by taking the RL to the sportier side, they should have kept it in the ultra luxury category to go up against the lexus LS.
This just shows how different peoples perspective really is. You can't please anyone.

If I had to choose between the 04/05 TL and 05 RL I would pic the RL no question. However, if the TL had a lot of the features of the RL and came with SH-AWD I'd probably get the TL. Then, as a Lexus owner who had aways wanted to buy the Lexus GS400/430, I would still pick the 05 RL over them because it simply blows away the Lexus in terms of features/price. Even the new 06 GS300 AWD IMHO will fall a little short in terms of performance. The 06 GS430 will cost a lot more and still not have AWD.

As for competing in the LS430 class, yes, Honda needs to do that, but not with the RL. They need to move forward with the supposed rumors and create the ultra luxury car above the RL with the proposed V8. The RL is nerly the exact same size as the current Lexus GS with the same wheel base, and slightly long, taller, and wider specs. The new 06 GS will be slightly larger by a few inches than the 05 RL. It is obvious that these two cars are in the same class. Honda needs a larger car to compete with the LS430 which they haven't created yet.
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
ChrisK said:
Honda needs a larger car to compete with the LS430 which they haven't created yet.
Um... I think that's what the RL was supposed to be. If they're going to create a car to compete with the big dogs, then where does that leave the RL? Another intermediate car that doesn't really fit in any category? That's what the TSX is.

Avarice said:
Thats obviouslly a typo........
That was obviously a joke....But thanks for clearing that up :)
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top