Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate your input on an issue I am dealing with. It is a 94GS with about 133k miles.

About a year ago I had all four tires replaced, 225/50R16. I immediately took the car for alignment. After about 13k miles on the tires, I took the car to the tire shop, and they told me both front tires are completely worn out on the inside (down to 2nd rubber, that's what they told me). A new pair of tires were put on, and I took the car to an alignment shop. The only thing they could find was that the rear alignment was slightly off, but the front was completely within spec. The guy told me all 4 shocks/structs need to be replaced.

I went home and checked the suspension by pressing at all 4 corners of the car and see if it keeps bouncing (not willing to settle immediately). And they were fine. I also did not notice any severe bouncing while driving.

Anything else that I should look for to explain why the tires are completely worn out in 13k miles? :confused: I forgot to rotate the tires after 5k miles, but I don't think missing one rotation would cause this kind of tire wear.

Your suggestion/comment is greatly appreciated,

Artur

·
Registered
814 Posts
Since they are only worn on the inside, it is most likely an alignment problem. Sounds like too much negative camber too me, but I guess it could be a toe-in problem.

Is the car lowered? If so, is there a camber adjusting kit installed?

I'd definitely get a different alignment shop to check this out. The first guy may have screwed up, and is maybe afriad you will expect him to pay for the tires if he admits the alignment is not right.

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
take it to the dealer for your alignment don't trust those tire shops. if that's where you had it done. only other thing I can think of is maybe your tire rod is wearing out. that would cause it to wear but you'd notice it when driving too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Worn tie-rods are big cause of many tire wear problems. The inner rod is usually the one that will cause fast tire wear. Check for any wheel/tire play while car is on lift or jacked up. Wheel and tire should be tight no play. I believe camber is non-adjustable only toe on most Acura's/Honda's. Camber kits are availabe for the upper ball joint that's swapped for the new camber adjust. ball joint which seems to be the best set-up. Rear camber is pretty much just a washer kit real cheap. I would only use a good shop that has the latest laser rack unit that specializes in alignments.. Many shops just mess up way too many cars and that will tear up your tires fast.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your alignment is off. Seek out another alignment shop. Had a similar experience, only all 4 of my summer tires were affected. Will be having to replace all 4 next Spring. Mileage less than 12k on them.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
i had good alignment with a bad inner tie rod. so have the entire steering rack checked out, but if they say the whole thing needs to be replaced, dont believe them, because chances are its just going to be an inner/outer tie rod problem if there is one

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for all great information. :) Seems like this is a common problem!

I will take the car to another alignment shop and see if they can figure out what's going on. Good that I asked for before-n-after alignment data from both the local Acura dealer and the shop I recently visited, and I have one of the completely worn tire to show to the shop.

I hope it is just a minor problem.

Artur

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
i had the same problem. my front left side had a negative toe while the rear left had a positive toe. lol. got my alignment done for only $40 and they did a good job on my car. The only thing they could't fix was my front right camber. my front right camber is at -1.5 degrees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.