Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about the universal Remus Exhaust and is it worth buying? Also what kind of modifications must be done to make it work with a G2 sedan? Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't get this 175hp rating.

I've been running a universal Remus on my custom exhaust and have had no decrease in performance or any ill effects.

On the contrary, if you get a universal Remus, it'll only increase your performance as it is alot more free flowing than a stock muffler.

Can anyone justify this 175hp limitation for me?

G

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
When I got my Remus, I took a look at the boxes of other Remus exhausts sitting on the floor, and it looks to me like the ratings on the box correspond to the car's power rating, rather than the maximum rating of the exhaust.

I'm not certain of this, but this is how it seemed to me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd have to agree with GodFather as well... I too have a Universal Remus on my '92 Legend and I have not felt a decrease in performance at all. I can feel a much great increase in performance compared to my stock muffler however. I've even spoken to CEC and Remus Canada who both asked me where I got this false information that a Universal Remus is only rated at 175HP. I really can't justify why I should pay $1000CAD for a Legend specific remus when a Universal is half the price.

Even if it was true about the Universal only being rated at 175HP whereas the Legend specific was rated at 200+, for the fraction of HP gain that you would be getting is NOT worth the extra money... It's all a marketing scam if you ask me...

SaGe69

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That's a good idea...

When I first saw a fellow Legend owner with a dual exhaust setup, I wanted SOOOOOO bad to do a Dual Remus exhaust on my car however after careful inspection, there are a lot of complications involved when installing the second muffler on the rear driverside. For one, space is VERY limited and to fit a second Remus there would be next to impossible (since they are large in size compared to other aftermarket exhausts and you would encounter issues with rear suspension), secondly, since you would have to bend the piping in so many different ways, chances are there would be a substantial decrease in backpressure/performance. Thirdly, because the Y pipe that would have to be created in order to do in install would not be evenly distributed from the Catalytic converter, you would have more exhaust coming from your stock muffler location as oppose to an even distribution. Personally, when I see this happen on other cars, although the car might look good with the dual mufflers, it looks rather "ricey" when you know exactly how their mufflers were installed... That's my 2 cents... :cool:

Regards,
SaGe69

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info, but i'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it to get the Legend specific or the universal? Like it was just stated, people say the universal Remus is rated at 175hp while the specific is rated at more, but what does this mean? Does it mean that the Universal remus won't do as good of a job as the Specific Remus would? Also are there any modifications that must be done to the universal remus to make it fit on a sedan or a coupe like bending or extra piping or anything?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Triton3K said:
Thanks for the info, but i'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it to get the Legend specific or the universal? Like it was just stated, people say the universal Remus is rated at 175hp while the specific is rated at more, but what does this mean? Does it mean that the Universal remus won't do as good of a job as the Specific Remus would? Also are there any modifications that must be done to the universal remus to make it fit on a sedan or a coupe like bending or extra piping or anything?
Dee,

Get the Legend specific, I heard the Universal is louder then the tuned version. Darren sold me on the Legend specific as the best way to go...

Also found this on the CEC forum from the administrator:

"Yes, the requested Remus Universal Sport Exhausts would fit your vehicle, with modifications. However, as the Remus universal exhaust is only efficient up to 150 horsepower, we recommend that you choose the sport exhaust designed by Remus specifically for your Mercedes-Benz 300CE!"

Regardless if its 150 or 175 HP rated, I would avoid the universal muffler because of this. Why spend couple hundred to have a muffler restrict your exhaust :confused:

CEC forum

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Again people, I don't see how the universal can PHYSICALY restrict your exhaust!!!?!? Compared to a stock muffler, the Remus is ALOT MORE free flowing and offers higher performance. Just physics tells you that alone. In a stock muffler, your exhaust pipe enters the muffler and ENDS in the muffler wehre the exhuast builds up in there and then exits the muffelr from the new pipe in there. Here is a quick illsutration using text:

_________
/ \
--------------- |
-> --------------- |
| ------------------ ->
| -------------------
\_________/

Remus:
\____________/

Also the universal remus connects with a 2.25" piping which is what Legends have.

If the Remus is only good for 175hp... then the stock must only be rated for 100hp, what on earth is Honda thinking putting 230hp through it then!? :rolleyes:

Guys, plain and simple, the stock muffler handles 200hp/230hp (depending on yoru car).. the Remus is ALOT more free flowing, alot better built, how can it only handle and be restricted to 175hp?

I'm using it, and damn my car is alot quicker. Of course I have also done what very very few have done which is to custom upgrade my entire exhaust from manifold to tip.

I also can't see how one can rate a muffler depending on HP. HP is not directly related to the amount of exhaust and the pressure of the exhaust. A car can have higher horsepower than a car that lets out more exhaust.

G

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Doh! My diagrams came out ****ty after I posted my message, ah well.

G

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the information MC and Godfather. I'll see about getting the legend specific exhaust and do you know where I can get it at for a good price and if I get the Legend Specific Remus do I have to do anything or get extra piping for it to fit on my G2 sedan?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Dee,

Tunerworks.com...remember :confused:

I got my for $450 but shipping and import duties will tag on another $80. It took very long because their specially ordered from austria (took 3 months :rolleyes: ). If you cant wait then opt for CEC. Some mentioned KCTrends sellls them cheap - can't confirm.

Im not sure if tunerworks will sell it that cheap anymore since no one bought anything last time we posted a GB. No extra piping unless your exhaust pipe from the cat is rotted or you want a custom cat back pipe to your Remus :p :D :p :D

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know tunerworks has them but I just dont' wanna wait 3 months for it. I'll check those places out also. Thanks MC

1 - 20 of 34 Posts