Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
has left the building
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past several weeks I've notice that sometimes (not always) when I'm driving in traffic or stopped at a red light, my idle seems to get "hung" at about 1000 PRM even though the tranny has downshifted properly. If I go into neutral, the revs will then drop to normal. In looking at the HELM and talking with several techs, I've narrowed it down to the Fast Idle Valve (FIV) or the Electronic Air Control Valve (EACV) with consesus being the FIV. Anybody run across this before? :confused:

DaveC, I know you have some experience in this area---what say you? Thanks---:D

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I beleive there are two ways.... either go to the auto store and buy a can of THROTTLE BODY CLEANER (not carb cleaner for clarification). I have never done it so read the instructions or post for that....

Also, you can hysiacally take it off and scrub it clean with a tooth brush or something like that, which willl be a more thourough job than the can.

Can anyone else chime in that has done that stuff??

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Mckenzie93 said:
I beleive there are two ways.... either go to the auto store and buy a can of THROTTLE BODY CLEANER (not carb cleaner for clarification). I have never done it so read the instructions or post for that....

Also, you can hysiacally take it off and scrub it clean with a tooth brush or something like that, which willl be a more thourough job than the can.

Can anyone else chime in that has done that stuff??
Actually there is no such thing as throttle body cleaners, it's called carb & choke cleaner spray. I cleaned mine a while back, it helped a little.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
WhiteLegend said:

Actually there is no such thing as throttle body cleaners, it's called carb & choke cleaner spray. I cleaned mine a while back, it helped a little.
HMMMM..... I was told that you are not supposed to use a carb cleaner. Maybe its specific for fuel injected vehicles over carb vehicles. Anyways, as far as I know its foamy stuff that you spray inside your TB.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Fast Idle Valve is controlled directly by coolant temp. Electiric Idle Control Valve is controlled by ECU. Your description sounds like the ECU is sending the wrong signal to the EICV or the valve is malfunctioning. You're gonna need to check all your sensor inputs plus the EICV.

Follow the diagnostic steps in your Helms manual.

·
has left the building
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks...

Dave, appreciate the info. What you are saying makes sense. Let me ask this though---if it's an EACV malfunction, shouldn't I be getting a check engine light and the appropriate code? Because I'm NOT & that's the main reason why I'm thinking that it may be a FIV failure. However, I was at a stop light yesterday when it "hung" and when I popped it into neutral, the idle swung back and forth between 500 & 1500-1700 RPM until I went back into gear. I'm REALLY confused now---let me know what you think soonest. :confused:

Anybody else? Dv8? Infinite? Thanks----

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.