Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, the internet rarely lets me down and noone here in australia really knows the legends like you guys!

Alright long story short I bought my 91' EDM auto legend coupe about 3 months ago and in the last 2 weeks my gearbox has been playing silly buggers....

At first it would intermittantly vibrate the steering wheel & dash with anything more than a relatively hard shift from 1st > 2nd, then for some reason it stopped almost completely (and sometimes I even noticed it shifting better???? heh). But in the last 3 days if I nail it into second I get a pretty loud BANG from the box - scared the out of me the first time! If I dont take it over ~3-4k or get a good smooth shift to 2nd its fine but if its not smooth... BANG. So ok I think, drive real slow into second and boot it from there (all other gear changes are sweet as).

But as of tonight on top of not being able to give it any decent boot its now well... I guess i'd call it slipping intermittantly but not just slipping where you can rev the heck out of it and go nowhere, it still goes but you can feel a bit of a pulsing sort of vibration in the steering wheel and even when stepping off the gas it doesn't wanna shift up :( It came and went a couple of times on my way home....

So until tonight I was thinking along the lines of gearbox mounts (I KNOW the rear one is already rooted but it has been since I got the car) but now with it doing this i've gotta wonder whether its internal in the box???

Help would be greatly appreciated as to fix one of these in australia is NOT fun NOR cheap. Ta!

· Domesticated *******
1,679 Posts
I would check the rear transmission mount first. It sounds like its toatally gone.

I would then drive it and see if it is still holding in gear like you said. It may just need a transmission fluid exchange.

· Registered
4,086 Posts
yeah, check rear mount..

but if that isnt it...sounds internal.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took it to the honda stealership today and we took it for a test drive, couldnt get the bang to happen but could hear the box hitting the bottom.

The they quoted me on a repair for the rear mount for $300-400AU :/ Funnily enough on the way home it was slipping like a :( barely made it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.