Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I realize this isn't the audio & electronics section but I need answers quick...Plus I'm the admin. of this forum, I'm allowed to brake rules:) Ok, I am leaving town tomorrow. People are riding with me so I need to take my two 12's out for luggage to fit. The amp is mounted on the back of the box. I didn't install them...I need to know if I unhook the wires from the amp, if I will still be able to use my OEM system at the beach...? Help!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
should be able to, the amp is there to power your subs, it has it's own power connection and is feeding off your head unit, your interior speakers should be fine....Unless the amp is powering something inside?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
the first thing I suggest you do before you do any unhooking is take your in line fuse out. This will prevent a short circuit somewhere. It will be under your hood if you already did not know that. Then, just pull back your sub, unhook the wires and tape them off individually, so you dont get sparkies... that could possibly short something out or fry something. Then, you should just be able to use your head unit like a normal deck without the bass, and no battery drain as well... Hope this help Matt:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah, there should be no problem. Your amp runs independently off of your battery and then the amp runs straight to your subs, so the amp has no effect on internal speakers. The subs get their signal connection from the RC connections on your head unit or you may have the signal coming off of your rear speakers (ghetto rigged), in either case unhooking the subs will have no effect on the signal to your internal speakers.

All of this is on the assumption that your amp powers your subs only.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
the first thing I suggest you do before you do any unhooking is take your in line fuse out. This will prevent a short circuit somewhere. It will be under your hood if you already did not know that. Then, just pull back your sub, unhook the wires and tape them off individually, so you dont get sparkies... that could possibly short something out or fry something. Then, you should just be able to use your head unit like a normal deck without the bass, and no battery drain as well... Hope this help Matt:)
yeah i can attest to the "sparkies":eek:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yup... I have seen a few amps fry and sparks fly in my amateur stereo install days...:D Now I pay someone to do it so I dont have to see my legend all ripped apart:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts