Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the problem. My ALB Modulator unit is overflowing at the resevoir cap and leaking onto the ground and the fluid level is dropping from my master cylinder resevoir.

Eventually the fluid level drops low enough in my master cylinder that my brakes sink right to the floor. Now I brought it into the dealer and they say I need a whole new Modulator unit and also a new Accumulator pressure switch. They want $1500 CAN for the Modulator and $365 for the accumulator/pressure switch. They say that a faulty pressure switch might have damaged the modulator and that I should replace the pressure switch too or else it might damage a new modulator. They say there is no way of knowing what exactly is wrong with the modulator unit and no way of knowing if the pressure switch/accumulator is even faulty. They also say there is no way of fixing the existing units (aren't there any seals/bolts/gaskets they could tighten??).

Now, has anyone else had this problem or have any information that might help me here? Also, what would happen if I pulled my ABS fuse? Could that diable the ABS system and stop the modulator from overflowing? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't know if it will fix your problem exaxtly, but I do know pulling my ABS fuses (the three small ones) stopped my brakes from acting up. I just need to pulsate them a little when stopping heavily and keep myself a little more alert (to brake a little sooner). Just pretend like you never had ABS in the first place.;)

HOPE THIS HELPS! cause it sucks spending big bucks on an old car that will only get older...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
IMO, pulling the fuses will not fix anything. Unless you really don't care if you have ABS or not.

The reason your ABS reservoir is overflowing is that the fluid from the service brake is leaking into the ABS reservoir. The leak is inside of the modulator; the fluid from the ABS and service brake systems are separate and should never "mix".

As for the faulty pressure switch; have you noticed the ABS pump running frequently? If not, I wouldn't blame the switch for causing any problems.

I'd try this: make sure both reservoirs are properly filled. Find a dirt road or similar and hammer the brakes (make the ABS work). Do this a few times. This will excercise the valves and their seals in the modulator; this may "fix" the internal leak.

Don't forget to bleed the service brake system if the reservoir has been run dry.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have a similar problem

The ABS is full and leaks a bit.
the master is ok.

Where is the accumulator/pressure switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my first time submitting a message on any forum...Here it goes.

I have an 89 Legend with some braking issues. I thought if I took it to a mechanic. They resurfaced the rotors and installed new pads, but stated that the master cylinder was bad and it needed to be replaced. The brakes still don't work. I left the shop to converse with you guys about what to do. I have read your messages about a modulator, but I don't know where that is. I have bled the brakes and the master cyclinder pushes fluid so what's next? I appreciate your input

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
old89 said:
This is my first time submitting a message on any forum...Here it goes.

I have an 89 Legend with some braking issues. I thought if I took it to a mechanic. They resurfaced the rotors and installed new pads, but stated that the master cylinder was bad and it needed to be replaced. The brakes still don't work. I left the shop to converse with you guys about what to do. I have read your messages about a modulator, but I don't know where that is. I have bled the brakes and the master cyclinder pushes fluid so what's next? I appreciate your input
Please let us know in what way your brakes don't work (i.e. how exactly it's behaving. This will help to narrow down the possibilities.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As of right now the pedal sinks to the floor. At the very end of the pedal I can lock up the right front tire with pumping the brake, but it feel like it is the only wheel with a brake. I forgot to mention that the anti-lock warning light is on all the time as well.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
If you've bled your brakes and your pedal is still sinking, your master cylinder is most likely shot. Another possibility is a leak at one of your brake hoses. Check behind each wheel for traces of brake fluid either on the wheel or on the floor.

Problem is most likely your master cylinder though.

As for your ABS, check your brake fluid in both the master cylinder and the ABS reservoir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before I went to the brake shop I had grinding brakes in the rear, I think, but the brakes did not sink to the floor. I was reading about the modulator and or the ABS resevoir...where are they in relation to the master resevoir?

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I can't be sure of this, but I believe that your ABS reservoir is on the passenger side along the firewall. This is where it is on the G2s, but I'm not certain about the G1. The modulator is under the reservoir.

Failure of the ABS on its own should not cause your pedal to sink. That is an effect of your regular braking system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks, I found it (how could I not know what it was?) I looked at and said to myself, yep that looks like and ABS resevoir... now what? Is there anything to bleed on it or if you read previously do you have any thoughts on what my problem might be? Any thoughts on what a master cylinder should cost and it seems that it would be fairly easy to install, correct?

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I can't remember what the master cylinder cost back when I replaced it in my G1, but I had problems with two aftermarket units, and eventally went back to OEM. Others may have had different experiences though.

Replacing your master cylinder isn't a difficult task. The one thing that you should do is to bench bleed the master cylinder first. After that, you simply have to remove the old master cylinder and replace it with the new one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I pulled all of my ABS fuses (all 5) including the "relay" one and my modulator is still leaking out of the top of the resevoir at the cap. How can this be? I thought pulling the fuses would disable the pump and thus no fluid would ciculate through the ABS system? Can anyone please explain this? Is there any way of stopping the fluid from flowing from my normal brake system into my ABS system??

·
Registered
133 Posts
pulling the fuses wont do crud, as far as leaking goes...but it will stop your abs from working.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, that's indeed the case. So I put my fuses back in and now am forced to transfer some fluid manually from my ABS resevoir back to my Master cylinder resevoir every couple of days which pretty much sucks ass.

·
Registered
133 Posts
thats prolly gonna get cold too, being in canada

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.