Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a '92 LS coupe 5spd. 94k miles. What problems are common to the Legend that I should look for? So far all I've heard is that the gentleman's sone wants to sell the car because the AC doesn't work perfectly and one (or more?) of the needles behaves erratically.

What are common trouble spots?

What are the best questions to ask?

I'm going to search as well, just posting the questions in advance. I'll also be looking for a list of recalls, so if anyone has a link handy, that would be great.

Ok I am off to search. :)

Thanks,
A

· Registered
189 Posts
well, what goes wrong depends on each car. The most important thing is to use genuine honda fluids in everything (except oil if you feel the need). And always, ALWAYS, watch for overheating...kinda common and its exceptionally bad for legends

· Registered
124 Posts
Make sure you ask if the compressor is causing the a/c problems. If it is it will cost around $1000 to get it fixed. $600 if you do it yourself. Also ask if the timing belt and water pump was done. At 94k your due. This will cost $800 and up at a shop, and around $250 if you do it yourself. The price is good though. Maybe with this info you can bring it down a notch good luck.

· Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,354 Posts
Which needle is erratic? If its your temp gauge, you may either try and talk them down, or not buy it, as I may be a BHG.

· Registered
1,230 Posts
kotetu said:
how do I know if the compressor is bad?

Thanks for the tips guys!

Also, do the JDM type 2 engines fail smog in California? I'd assume so, but hey, ya never know.
You won't have that problem my friend! Type II was only avaliable after 93. Unless you are talking about doing a swap, if thats the case ignore my responce.

· Registered
4,119 Posts
Another coolant seepage/leakage area is way under the throttle body. A vertical pipe about 2 inches long. It is called the Water Bypass Inlet pipe. There are two O-rings on this pipe. Repair consists of Intake Manifold removal.

Am I still the only "lucky guy" who has had to deal with this little gem?

· what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after the inspection

OK guys, here is what I have found out:

The car has 94k miles on it. /thumbs up
The car has a dent in the d/s rear quarter panel, ugly but not horrible /thumbs down
The car has a shot VSS /thumbs down
The car has a good A/C compressor /thumbs up
The car has none (or misplaced) records /thumbs down
The car moonroof glass is cracked /thumbs down

I gtg, I'll add more later. Comments?

· what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kotetu said:
OK guys, here is what I have found out:

The car has 94k miles on it. /thumbs up
The car has a dent in the d/s rear quarter panel, ugly but not horrible /thumbs down
The car has a shot VSS /thumbs down
The car has a good A/C compressor /thumbs up
The car has none (or misplaced) records /thumbs down
The car moonroof glass is cracked /thumbs down

I gtg, I'll add more later. Comments?
Ok, I'm back. Here's the rest:

The car has a shot door lock actuator (click click click click click!) /thumbs down
The front seats (particularly the driver's) are very worn /thumbs down
The shift boot is dead as a doornail /thumbs down
The handbrake button has 1/2 of the chrome torn off /thumbs down
The auto-up/auto-down feature of the driver's window doesn't work /thumbs down
The driver's visor is broken off /thumbs down
Apparently the temperature gauge is acting weird (temp rises sharply, then drops down to normal at odd times; it is inconsistent) /thumbs down
It has a Sony mp3 player with speakers and sub /thumbs up
The speakers hiss something ugly! /thumbs down

Driving test
The car drives like a CHAMP. No hesitation, no shuddering, etc. It's pretty darned quiet, and has great power and acceleration. The exhaust (aftermarket muffler) is a bit loud, but sounds fine. I noticed no problems with acceleration, braking, steering, shifting, or anything else.

Other than the cracked moonroof and the small dent, the car looks great on the outside. The inside is marred by the worn seat, shift boot, hand brake, and missing visor.

Now, the seller is looking for the records (he thinks he has them in a file somewhere in his house) and I'll find out if the timing belt/water pump were done. (In fact, I'll find out if the 90k was done.) The only issue I am concerned with that can't be simply diagnosed (afaik) is the issue with the temperature gauge.

Someone mentioned that that could indicate a BHG, is that truely the case? What can confrim that this has happened?

thanks again!

· Registered
124 Posts
one thing you havent told us is the price he wants, unless i missed it. The main thing you should be woried about is the temp gauge. Might not neccesarrily be a BHG. But it could be anything from a bad thermastat to a BHG. Either way the owner should know what the problem is. Don't let him tell you he doesn't know, or don't worry about it. That's a sure sign he maybe passing a problem onto you. Good luck.

· Registered
3,012 Posts
Whatcolor is the interior? I have a lot of the parts you need off my 91 LS. I sent you a PM.

Welcome to the forum

· what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, the price is KBB Good condition $5800. Not bad, but if I have $1-2000 of maintenence to look forward to the day I buy it I want to pay $4000 at most!

lol

yah that's one of the main reasons I am trying to figure everything out. I have his mechanic's number at "Affordable Acura" in Los Angeles. (I think that was the name.)

thanks morbo, I'll look into it. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.