Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car suffers from an occasional non-start. I can be driving for 1/2 hour, pull up at a gas station, turn off the engine to fill-up, then bam. I turn the key to get going and absolutely nothing happens. No clicking, no starter turnover, silence. Sometimes it will start after several tries, sometimes it will start if I let the car sit for 30 minutes, sometimes (and sometimes not) jump-starting will help.

Many talk about replacing the "main relay." Can someone explain specifically what relay is being referenced, what the relay does, where specifically it is located in a G1 Legend, how I would know if mine is bad, and whether it is something I can replace on my own?

Thanks bunches, in advance.

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
Does not sound like the main PGM-FI relay to me, because if that relay is bad the car will crank fine, it just won't get any fuel so it won't start. Sounds like you may have a bad battery connection.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds real familiar, As near as I've been able to figure out with mine , it's either the neutral safety switch, cause it will start when I put it in neutral or sometimes take it out of Park and put it back in. OR something malfunctuioning in the alarm system, the starter circuit goes through the alarm circuit on the L and LS. I tried a jumper straight to the starter solenoid from the battery, that by-passes the alarm and the neutral safety switch, and it started right up

·
Registered
140 Posts
It also could be the selonoid's freezing up in the alternator. This happened to me with my Jeep, and my mechanic told me it would be a couple hundred $ to replace the alternator. He said the other alternative would be to carry a wooden bat or board around with me and just wack the alternator when it wouldn't start to unbind the selonoids.

Worked like a charm every time.

Of course, then I sold that and got my Legend ;)

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts