Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an accident two weeks ago completely busting the radiator and air condenser. The insurance is insisting that the dealership put used/remanufactured parts in the car. Should I let them do that or should I fight to have new factory parts put in the car. I have very little time to act so any advice is appreciated! THANKS! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
DO NOT ACCEPT USED PARTS.

If the accident was your fault and your insurance is paying, accept remanufactured because that can be just as good as new since it has been completely taken apart and redone like new.

If the accident was not your fault, fight for only new parts.

Do not accept used parts because many times insurance will just try to save money and give you bullsh*t, but remanufactured is good.

Try to see if they will put in a better radiator than the factory one, because the factory ones are crap. Even if it is from another manufacturer, try for that.

I assume you are also getting a new hood and bumper...cuz that's only way to damage radiator and ac condenser. Same thing happened to me and I am very happy with results. I took it to the most expensive and reliable body shop in the area, and one month in the body shop and $5000 of the insurance's money later, it looks BRAND NEW! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hood didn't need to be replaced but the bumper did (the damage came from below). The thing is the appraiser gave a verbal ok to order the parts and fix the car...a week later when the insurance got the statement for how much the insurance was going to pay the appraiser said they were only paying for remanufactured parts and not new ones and that this should be common knowledge for all dealerships and body shops. Is this right or should I just have them take the new parts out and put in remanufactured?

·
Registered
702 Posts
if it is simply remanufactured ac condenser and radiator, let them put it in...sometimes you have to compromise with insurance...and it is true that they will put remanufactured instead of new only if it is reliable and since it will be less costly...but not less quality.

the main thing is don't take used parts...remanufactured only when they won't put new. i am certain they put a couple of remanufactured parts in mine, but i have to look over the pages of repair work the body shop did to find that. just be clear for them to put remanufactured only if it is good quality, but NOT used. When you sign all the paperwork getting insurance, part of it states that if they can find a quality replacement part instead of a new one (will be under warranty too from shop) then they may do so, but it does not say anything about actually used parts. just make sure you explain to them that you don't want used.

remanufactured parts are not bad....for example if your transmission dies and you go to the acura dealership they will tell you there is no such thing as a brand new transmission for a legend...they only make rebuilt ones (still costs lots of money) but that is just as good.

i say go for it because these two things you have to replace are not serious and remanufactured is just as good as new in my opinion.

·
Registered
671 Posts
not too sure about texas, but there is a law here in cali that states that the consumer can take their car to whatever body shop they want to, and can legally require that new/oem parts be used as opposed to used/aftermarket parts. i would fight for the new parts if i were you. good luck,

wally

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
For the radiator, I would request that a Modine be installed. A new condensor retails for about $400. What is their estimated price for an aftermarket? Offer to pay the difference to have a new OEM condensor installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts