Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i drive along time and park my car in my driveway and open the hood my car smokes like crazy, the smoke dosent choke me and it's not thick it comes off my engine and my car dosent run hot, and my engine gets very oiley and greasey after awhile. does anyone know what the problem is, so i can fix it atleast and sell her how much would it cost?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
The most likely culprits are the valve cover and side cover gaskets. Easy DIY (just a few 10mm bolts), and you can either go with the genuine Honda parts from an online source/dealer or just get em at an auto parts store. I've always gone the latter route w/ Felpros and have never had a problem.

When you do replace the gaskets, give your entire engine a good degrease and scrub down and you'll quickly see if you solved the problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it's really greasey and oiley right in front of the spark plugs and it smokes idk how this happend does anyone know that?

·
Registered
842 Posts
well it's really greasey and oiley right in front of the spark plugs and it smokes idk how this happend does anyone know that?
Rubber gaskets go bad over time - when they get hard and brittle, then oil gets past them and runs down the side of your engine. If the leak is bad enough, then the oil will make its way onto your exhaust manifold; that's the smoke you're seeing. If the oil is all around your spark plugs, then it's probably the valve cover gasket, although your side cover gaskets could also be leaking. Both valve cover and both side cover gaskets come in the kit, so I'd change the valve cover first; if that clears the problem, hang on to the side cover gaskets in case you need them later. This is nothing to be alarmed about; it's just part of maintenance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replys everyone, im gonna go ahead and get that done. so i can get atleast more value for the car.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Might I suggest to check (replace; preferably) the distributor o-ring as well ;)

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Well it could be the gasket on the exhaust manifold that is leaking.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I need to see some pics. I don't want to suggest anything else, because if it's not the VC or side gaskets, then it's something really small leaking a whole lot.

Can you get some pics on here? Need to see the distributor area, and the best shots around the top of the exhaust manifolds that you can, I know it's tight in there.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Also, if it's the figure-8 o-ring on the oil filter housing leaking bad enough, I've seen the axles actually sling oil up to the exhaust, but it has to be leaking pretty bad. There would be a puddle everywhere you park if that were the case.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Also, if it's the figure-8 o-ring on the oil filter housing leaking bad enough, I've seen the axles actually sling oil up to the exhaust, but it has to be leaking pretty bad. There would be a puddle everywhere you park if that were the case.
I have already changed the figure 8 ring about a year ago and theres no puddles. here are some pics of my dizzy and valve covers.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Doesn't really look like the distibutor o-ring either. If it was, the oil would be leaking all over that EGR valve under it, and the cap would be wet underneath.

Maybe you're still just burning off oil that cooked to the manifolds.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Check underneath the car. Maybe some trans fluid is leaking at the axle seals and slinging everywhere, maybe an axle boot slinging grease out. That's all I can figure. You're engine looks very clean up top.

·
-------------------------
1,973 Posts
Hrm I would just go nuts with degreaser/toothbrushes/paint brushes until you clear off all visible grease on top and underneath your engine. Then you'll see where the new oil comes from if it starts smoking again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts