Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
has left.
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad and I tore into my Legend today hoping to get both valve cover gaskets replaced. The work went pretty well though the grommet under the bottom left valve cover bolt was a PAIN to remove and the cover didn't want to come off until that silly grommet was out: it was interesting.

So, unsure of whether or not we have enough time to do the 2nd bank, we decide we're going to seal the first side up before taking the 2nd side apart. We get everything lined up and put back on and are tightening down the bolts with a torque wrench... on the last of the 4 bolts, as I'm nearing correct torque...

SNAP!

The nut sheers the stud it's screwing on to clean off. :(

We opted to put everything back together (all the plugs and packs, harnesses, everything went back together) and see what'd happen when we turned the motor on: if it was leaking a little, it was shop bound or if it was POURING all over the place, I'd tow it. Well, I drove it all the way to the shop and not a drop of oil came out of the apparently unsealed bolt...

Anyway, needless to say I'm a little down about it: I was happy to have been making progress and now I'm in a bind and still have the 2nd bank to do (my mechanic may be doing it for me though due to time constraints.) It's never as easy as it needs to be... and it's made worse by the fact that my BMW is in the shop so I don't have either of my cars working now...

So... the questions:
I can see a little stub of the stud above the valve cover... can that stud be tapped out without removing the valve cover again?

If the cover has to be removed again, can it be reused?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I'm pretty certain you're going to have to pull the cover off again to replace the stud, I don't believe the hole in the cover is large enough for the lower portion of the stud to pass through. You should be able to reuse the gasket again since it's brand new.

·
has left.
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a week since you posted, so you may have already fixed this, but...

I think you MAY be able to replace the stud without removing the valve covers. If you can measure the opening in the valve cover with the grommet removed, I have a stud I can measure to compare the size. (Image:90014-PY3-000 a.jpg - Acura-Legend Wiki) It's 14mm at the widest point, and you'll need to be able to fit a 10mm deep-drive socket in there to remove it. Still, it will probably be easier to remove the valve cover again, especially if it's the passenger side which is easier to get to.
It was the passenger side. I'd be just as comfortable removing the cover again if I wanted to fix it.

My mechanics answer was since even w/o the grommet it wasn't losing any oil, that I should just drive it until it causes problems.

We ghetto rigged it up a bit further by using a little bit of RTV as glue for the grommet (a ring around the bottom side and we sealed the hole the stud goes through with it) and let the junk sit for 24+ hours (it cures in 24.) It was running like a champ even without the grommet but I wanted it on there so we figured what the hell.

It made my 500+ mile trip last weekend without so much as a hiccup... record fuel economy too (25.6mpg out of a Type I auto with 4 people + luggage in the car :thumbsup:)

·
Lone Star Legends
625 Posts
I did the EXACT SAME THING!!!

Anyhoo, the stud is a special order item from Acura, and I had mine done by a local shop because that thing was so freaking hard to get to. Totally worth the money, IMO.

Just because it didn't leak, I still wouldn't trust it very much. I did, however, drive mine like that to the shop with no problems.

Good luck with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.