Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im getting ready to make the fix tommorow, I just want to make sure it won't harm my engine.

I read on Vince's FAQ that you dump in 1/2 quart of Honda ATF into the crankcase with the old oil already in there, and run it for 15-20 min. and then drain the oil and replace the filter and oil.

This should stop that valve tap/ticking noise on cold starts? I would like to hear from some people that this worked successfully for, before I go ahead with it.

Also, would it be alright to put in some slick 50 after I change the filter and put the new oil in?

On a side note, whats the recommended change interval for the Manual Transmissiong Fluid? My 88 Legend 5speed has 146k on it and I dunno if the previous owner had done it or not. I heard from a mechanic that as long as you keep it full, you should never have to change it. But I think it should be done..

Also should you ever flush and change the fluid in the power steering fluid, and brake fluid systems?

Thanks for your help!

Pete

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Pete said:
Ok im getting ready to make the fix tommorow, I just want to make sure it won't harm my engine.

I read on Vince's FAQ that you dump in 1/2 quart of Honda ATF into the crankcase with the old oil already in there, and run it for 15-20 min. and then drain the oil and replace the filter and oil.

This should stop that valve tap/ticking noise on cold starts? I would like to hear from some people that this worked successfully for, before I go ahead with it.

Also, would it be alright to put in some slick 50 after I change the filter and put the new oil in?

On a side note, whats the recommended change interval for the Manual Transmissiong Fluid? My 88 Legend 5speed has 146k on it and I dunno if the previous owner had done it or not. I heard from a mechanic that as long as you keep it full, you should never have to change it. But I think it should be done..

Also should you ever flush and change the fluid in the power steering fluid, and brake fluid systems?

Thanks for your help!

Pete
Don't put Slick 50 in the engine. Teflon has no business in an engine. So says DuPont, the developers of Teflon.

Recommended manual transmission oil change is 30k miles. Recommended oil viscosity is 10w-30 or 10w-40 engine oil. If you want to go synthetic, use Redline MTL. Do not use synthetic engine oil.

I don't think it's necessary to change the PS fluid. It couldn't hurt to do so, if you choose. Use only PS fluid that specifically meets Honda's specification. It'll say this on the container.

The brake system should be flushed every two years or so. The service brake you can do yourself. I'd let the dealer take care of the ALB system.

·
Registered
541 Posts
does valve tapping sound like something rubbing together..like rub, rub, rub , rub? and does it only happen when car is cold?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its like a clicking sound. My car does it for about 10 min. if I let it warm up or about 5 min. if I get in and drive. I know Vince knows somthing about this, and Im suprised he hasn't responded yet.

Pete

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
NO

I wouldn't put ATF in my oil ever. Sure it may work to get the valve tapping away but it just seems weird to me to put ATF in my crankcase. I mean, it wasn't designed for that. I used Engine Restore to quiet my valve tapping. Haven't had the sound since.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Re: NO

RedSun106 said:
I wouldn't put ATF in my oil ever. Sure it may work to get the valve tapping away but it just seems weird to me to put ATF in my crankcase. I mean, it wasn't designed for that. I used Engine Restore to quiet my valve tapping. Haven't had the sound since.
Well its only in there for 15 minutes. Pete, it obviously worked for some people, as that is how I heard about it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice Vince. Where would I find engine restore? At a pep boys or autozone?

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts