Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Chris in ur signature it says u got the Venom 400 and it sucks??? doesnt it give u the 25% increase in hp from 1 to 5k rpm's ?? i was thinkin abt buying it but now im not so sure.
anyone else who has it or knows about it please comment.

(hmm i alwayz thought it shud give u the 25% across the powerband though, why wud they make it only to 5k, how dumb)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hey sorry about the late reply... well here's how I feel about it - I bought mine when it FIRST came out for the Legend... and it seemed to work (I guess...?), then it crapped out and I reinstalled it... now the little light comes on whenever I push the gas pedal (this little LED light is supposed to come on only when you floor it or have hte pedal pressed aggressively, then the light goes off to show that the Venom isn't working when your foot isn't on the gas)... well anyways, mine hasn't worked for a while (I can't tell any difference), and all it seems to do is dump alot of fuel into the engine (so says my A/F meter) without any benefits from what I could see.... (that was back when it did work...) Also, I installed one on my friend's 300GT, and it worked great (he can beat me now, before he couldn't), but now his is messing up like mine did (light coming on all the time, impropre activation of the unit, etc...) so that's why I said I didn't like em... Get the Bayou Stage II chip - I've heard that it works quite well... or you can spend the $300 and get a S-AFC from Apexi... but you'll have to tune it yourself, so a dyno is preferred for that one...

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
The light come on when you press about 1/3- 1/2 throttle. Anyway, I remember Koji had a problem with his unit prematurely engaging, and If I recall correctly, the techs told Koji to reground the unit, as a bad ground could cause what was happening. I believe regrounding the unit did work for Koji. The Venom 400 works exacly like the Jet V-Force unit. No matter what the specs are on the V-Force, the two units both monitor and modify the the fuel and timing via the MAP and TPS sensors. The results will simply differ on each manufacturers program. Venom 400 has the edge over the V-Force in that it is tuned for the 3.2 V6, while the V-Force is a universal unit. The V-Force has the edge in term of price. Almost $100 cheaper I think.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Thanks Chris, I'll try to reground it tomorrow.... hopefully it'll work so I can have a little more pep...

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris,
how much of a difference does it make anyway?
also btw the Jet V-force works a little differently............it is working all the time, not only at aggressive throttle ..........
also i am not sure but it might also be active all the way upto redline..............because the Venom only works upto 5,000 RPM, if i am correct. Has anyone used a Jet V-Force???? JET also makes ECU chips btw....................I dont have a dyno around here and i dont think i would be able to tune it myself anyway, but i wud really like to get an Apex S-AFC............but i dont see how i could tune it.....................

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
Chris,
how much of a difference does it make anyway?
also btw the Jet V-force works a little differently............it is working all the time, not only at aggressive throttle ..........
also i am not sure but it might also be active all the way upto redline..............because the Venom only works upto 5,000 RPM, if i am correct. Has anyone used a Jet V-Force???? JET also makes ECU chips btw....................I dont have a dyno around here and i dont think i would be able to tune it myself anyway, but i wud really like to get an Apex S-AFC............but i dont see how i could tune it.....................
I was able to get a consistent .2 better time with the Venom on my 6-Speed, I couldn't really tell much of anything, only that something was different during acceleration. However, using an accelerometer like the G-Tech, I was able to measure very consistent .2 second better average times. I know people claim the G-Tech in not accurate, but the unit is very consistent, so no matter what the base line time was, added performance will show consistently. The ET times may be off a bit, but the gains shown are consistent and pretty accurate.

Anyway, think about this. Both units use the TPS and MAP sensors inputs, and modify them for supposed better performance. The MAP I believe uses a 0-5V system. Each manufatures unit can only modify the signal up to 5V which would indicate WOT, or maximum manifod pressure. I'm no expert, so people can corect any errors I may have, but I believe the ECU reads the TPS signal, reads the MAP signal, and accesses a particular fuel and timing map that is pre programmed. What each manufacturers unit does is modify the TPS signal so the ECU thinks it is in a different possition, but also importently, it modifies the MAP signal to sometning other than what the MAP signal would have been at that given TPS signal. The importent thing here is that if the units just modified the TSP signal to trick the ECU into thinking you were pressing more throttle like some people believe, the MAP signal would reflect the same respective signal, and no performance gain would be had. But, since it changes the MAP signal, the ECU is supposedly able to access a differnet fuel and timing map that would be more agressive for that particular TPS possition.

Now my whole point is that both units works up to WOT. At some point, each unit will have modified the MAP to show a max 5V, and anything after that is useless. So, the Jet can work up to WOT as well as the Venom works up to WOT, and after that, no matter what Jet says, it will offer no performance gain, as the ECU will not recognize any signal other than the max volatge. However, like you mentioned, the Jet may indeed work at a lower TPS setting than the Venom which seems to kick on at about 1/3-1/2 throttle (indicated on the gas pedal). Also, the Jet may have the advantage of being release a couple of years after the Venom, so the program may be more agressive. I personally believe that at WOT, both units should be identical. However, the powerband that each manufacturer programmed for may be more attractive to some, over the other. But the ability to turn the Venom off when fuel mileage is importent is an attractive idea on the Venom.

Now, with all that said, for the money, I would rather get the Bayou chip, or wait to see how the Weapon-R performance ECU works. If the Jet and Venom were about $175-$100, then I would say those units would be worth the effort. Even though I still say the Venom has some real world measurable worthwhile gains, at the current price of $300, it is just not worth it. I got it off the group buy for $275 long ago, so that is why I have one. I am still selling my Venom $400 for a price of $150 for anyone who wants to try it out.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Good Job, ChrisK

Mr. Kam :)

You seem to be very knowledgable on this topic of the Venom 400 and how it works! I enjoyed reading your book! :D

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Well Apexi S-AFC works exactly the same way (TPS and MAP signals) but is adjustable within specified RPM ranges. If you can afford the dyno tuning to custom tailor for your application go that route. It runs about the same price as the V-400 if you shop around. I think Import Toys has a pretty good price, or check vendors at some import drags, seen good prices there also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts