Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons between the repair kit and an actual new VSS (besides the prices)? I'm thinking about just the repair kit so that it'll be lighter on the wallet, but then again, i don't want it to mess up on me down the road soon. What do you guys think?

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
the chances of the repaired one lasting you as long as the oem one are slim.
i would invest in a new one. repaired parts just aint the same ..

i understand that the price is kinds up there.. but its just less of a headache

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
I got the repair kit for my VSS...it replaces the entire electrical portion of the VSS so it seems like it should last for a long time. comes with new gaskets and everything you need...it's not like you're just putting a bandaid on it with the repair kit

·
Registered
814 Posts
The "repair kit" is not a band aid; rather, it replaces the failed VSS only and
costs $82.00 online or $126.00 at dealer (aprox.) The real factor in remove and replace is the approach: Take out power steering unit and hoses, or
work with a mirror to remove only the VSS unit perched on top of the
power sterring unit. There are posts on the subject with pros and cons.
I did the mirror version and found it easy (no mess.) Others have done the
bigger project which allows direct vision (and some mess.) Do a search, and
also click on "Links: above for Legend-Tuner and a DIY. A speedo shop might
charge $350.00-$400.00 for the project.

Big consideration: the car must be raised up safely if you hope to survive
the project. Please do not rely on tire jacks. A lift is ideal, ramps and chocks
might do. Have good illumination, an open hood on a sunny day will do.
The repair takes 45-90 minutes first time. You can do it. Remember to
replace the connector wires out of harms way. Mine got snipped when I hit
a pothole and the front suspension bottomed out against the frame with the
wiries in between. I taped them together and relocated them to a safer place.
The VSS location can be seen if you open the hood and look down behind the pasenger side of the radiator; alternatively one can look up from underneath
the car in the vicinity of the oil filter just behind the radiator on the passenger side. A HELM manual will help. The online will do. I bouht a VSS from Flat Iron online for $82.00 shipped. AOA will give you a good price.
Local dealer will want about $125.00. Tools required are Phillips screwdriver and T-20 torx tamper proof driver for a ratchet wrench. (It has a void in the
center and cost $5.00 at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) Hey, it's Spring time!
Legend tuner link: Enter, select repair, select speed sensor.
http://www.legendtuner.com/

I forgot to say that the splash shield also has to be removed from under the enging bay: 10 or12 mm bolts. Easy on a lift; less so on ramps w/ chocks.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
iunooo.. i got my VSS from local Acura dealership 100$
installed it myself in 5 minutes.... ??

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,776 Posts
yea I dont think it took very long for the repair kit...my friend did it in a parking lot on jacks for me. +1 on the torx bit...

I just figure that Honda avoided a recall by making these repair kits so why bother swapping the entire VSS. If the electrical portion is what goes on them...this should last about the same amount of time. I dunno...it was cheaper and seemed quick and easy.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The repair is not difficult at all and you don't need a lift(hog wash). If you are small enough and your car is not lowered you might still be able to do it with out a jack even. Just jack up the passenger side(if you want to be totally safe then you put a jack stand under there too, for something like this I wouldn't even bother). Remove the one bolt holding the VSS in, disconnect the wiring harness form the VSS, and now remove the VSS. Now you can do it two ways: 1) Place a drip pan underneath and remove the two poersteering hoses, then remove the screws holding the electrical part and replace all gaskets with the new ones and swap electrical portion. or 2) Leave the assembly hanging with the two hoses and swap gaskets and electrical. I know that the screws are the torx with the security notch in the middle can't remember if it was tx15 or tx40, these should be available at just about any hardware store. This would only take me like half an hour if I have all my materials gathered up and ready to go. good luck

Edit: didn't read someone stated it was tx20, should be right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts