1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
703 Posts
Looks sweet! Looks just like mine minus the mods.
How bout some pics of the turbo itself under the hood?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbo PICs [1 of 6]

FAT is located in Dewey, AZ... about 20 miles east of Prescott- both are in area code 928.

Here are the PIC's from the turbo installation work last year.

PIC 1:
Garrett turbine & compressor located in engine bay

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turbo PIC [2 of 6]

PIC 2:

placed in engine bay...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Turbo PICs [3 of 6]

PIC 3:

The beast welded together and ready for installation. Shows blow-off valve vented back into air intake line, to keep that 'stealth' sound effect. (Photo by FAT)

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turbo PICs [4 of 6]

PIC 4:

Garrett turbine & compressor, and Turbonetics Wastegate.

Since these shots were taken, the wastegate has since been replaced with a Tial Racegate, and the turbine was exchanged with a smaller (quicker spooling) Garret unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turbo PICs [5 of 6]

PIC 5:

Turbonetics Wastegate

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Turbo PICs [6 of 6]

In & RUNNING!!

Since this shot was taken, an intercooler has been added into the line between the compressor and throttle body. So it doesn't even look like this anymore. Pretty much all you see between the fender well and distributor is the intercooler. I'll post a PIC of that next...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Intercooler PIC

Custom intercooler made by FAT 3/02. Battery moved to the trunk.

Now if I could just find the right hood scoop....

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
TITO GET ME SOME TISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!

snifle, snifle. Man that thing is a BEAST. My only concern is if someone such as myself would like to have the turbo installed on my G1 coupe as well. What about maintenance and who could I get that knows there shiznit when it comes to maintaining the car. Maryland is a LONG way from Arizona and I don't let just anyone perform maintenance on my car. So what could I do to keep it running right and at peak performance. How about putting a factory spoiler on that coupe of your to finish off its gorgeous exterior looks. Has your top speed increased at all and if so what is it? One more thing could you give me price on everything including the new wastegate and the intercooler. Peace and Blessings. Bigs out.:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice! Now we have a turbo G1 & G2 :)
What a difference you will have with fresh cool air hitting that small intercooler!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exterior restoration

Original color, but not the original paint. I had the exterior completely restored a few months back. Every dent and ding taken out, new bumpers, trim mouldings, etc., then completely repainted.

While I toyed with the idea of changing the color (a slightly deeper gold), I opted to go with the original-- Bahama Gold (I believe it's called)

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am not a mod person at all but I must say that I am quite impressed. What kind of 0-60 performance do you get vs. stock?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
0-60 times

Thanks for your Kudos guys!

I haven't done any 0-60 or 1/4mile runs yet-- but I will. I need to get that intercooler breathing right before I subject the car the heat of the track. All I can tell you is that it feels pretty fast, and it's soOO00oo sweet to drive. As soon as I get some timed runs in, I'll post them here.

I did have the car dyno tested before and after the turbo work:

Before:
148 HP / 152 TQ
After:
211 HP / 201 TQ

·
Registered
273 Posts
hi,
i called robert at FAT yesterday and he quoted me a price of 4k w/ no intercooler. some questions:

can you tell me your experiences with him and FAT?

did you drive to AZ and leave your car there?

how much did it cost you total?

what kind of maintenance do you have to do on the turbo?

do u have to idle the car for 5 minutes before driving it?

do you have an exhaust system or cai?

thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi frebay:

My experiences with Robert have only been positive. I trust him, and would recommend his shop anytime.

I live in AZ, only 20 miles west of FAT.

$4,000- guages, Turbo Timer & Knock Sensor were extra, as was my intercooler-- which I added nearly a year later.

The turbo iteslf requires very little maintainence. Just keeping up with things that the car needs anyway, like routine oil & filter changes, cleaned and recharged air intake, etc.

The car requires no special idle time prior to driving it- just letting it cool down at idle for about 1-1/2 minutes after driving it hard (Turbo Timers make this easy)

Read through the mods at the bottom on my posts, or look at my web page-- (click on the "www" button) for answers to your questions about my intake and exhaust.

Good Luck!

_Matt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.